Thursday, September 22, 2016

Apple Day!

No, not for Boy Scouts. For me. It seems to hit me every once in a while, the desire to be a Suzie Homemaker, and now with this fresh country air I often find that I just need to make something out of nature that I’ve picked. Applesauce! Apple pie! Apple crisp!

I have 1 pack of frozen apples from last year in my freezer and 1 jar of applesauce that I made last October. The trees on The Ridge were not very forthcoming this year, I can only assume our draught over the summer halted the apple growth. I’m sad about that as I love the process of creating the homemade product as much as the eating!

I have decided next year that I am going to attempt to dig and till in this rock hard ground here and plant a small veggie garden. I mean small, about 8’ x 3’ tops. Tomatoes, peppers and green onions are all I wish to grow. Wish me luck in the spring! You’ll hear more about it once we return from the southwest.

So with the few apples I’ve managed to scavenge from our tree out front, about 20, I started cutting. Bill suggested I drive up North Line to the trees we’ve seen close to the road. They are public property and the apples are only going to waste. Can’t have that! So I hop in the car with my bag hoping to come home with a loot full.

Thirty minutes or so later I have a bag of about another 25 or 30 apples, about a gallon altogether. 
Approximately 1 gallon of apples

It was enough to make something with. I cut them in half, then quarters, removed any wormy or bruised pieces and threw them, stems, cores and seeds included, into my stock pot on the stove to brew in a mixture of ¾ cup of water, a bit of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice.

                                                                            

Then I cooked our bacon and eggs on the Q around 11:30 for brunch. During this time, the apples softened, I stirred and they cooked some more. It sure didn’t take long for this small amount but smelled wonderful!

Simmering on low for about an hour
I made applesauce last year and had to use a regular strainer/colander for the mushing process. 
Last years tools for straining/mushing
It wasn’t perfect and a few Johnny apple seeds escaped! Since then I went on the prowl for a regular colander like Mom had and was successful in finding a used one for $20.
squish, mush, slush in my new to me colander
I’m not saying either of these practices are easy, but I will say it is very satisfying. I slushed and mushed, transferred from pot to colander and continued mushing until I reached the end. Just before pouring the sauce into my jars, I tasted it.

I know we don’t need sugar in applesauce so I added a tinge just so my sweetie will enjoy it as well. What can I say? We have been so used to sweetening over the years, it is easier for some of us to cut back but hard to cut it out altogether.

Not much waste
Of the 40-50 apples picked, there is only a small pile of scraps for the composter. The colander worked great although it is still hard work. Good thing I’m dedicated! 


Now finished, I have 4 large mason jars and 1 small one of fresh ‘homemade’ applesauce. Yum.

Ready to be eaten anytime
Since the day started out cloudy, then sunny for a few hours before clouds rolled in again, it was the perfect day for this adventure. Inside and out. Maybe if I feel brave, I might drive down Baptist Church Road and ask a neighbor if he is using their apples or can I pick some? The tree just inside their property is loaded! Ha ha, that might mean having a small glass of something first to get up my nerve. I would love to have more in the freezer to make something yummy for dessert one day.


Anyway, it was a great day and I feel like the apron proved its usefulness. 

Thank you for reading, may all your apples be ripe!

2 comments:

  1. It is so nice that we have the time and enjoy doing this, enjoy your apples an sauce. Gotta love tis weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George, will enjoy them throughout the winter. :)

    ReplyDelete