Friday, August 25, 2017

Grass Attention, Prep for Company, Happy Hour Guests

When I woke up on Friday, Aug. 25th I made sure to keep my legs curled up and arms under the covers where it was warm. It was quite chilly out there! When we got up the thermometer read 8C outside and 13C inside the Suite. Brrr. Bill brought our Blue Flame heater in from the bunky and it warmed it up nicely in no time. It is nice to have such a range for heat, 1 – 6, and at 2 ½ or 3 we soon were able to turn it off.

Lawn needs attention

Before the final cut
Sounds like America's Got Talent!
Bill finished his coffee and me my tea while reading blogs. Clemson’s tummy was doing the gurgle gurgle thing again which means all he wants is someone to sit with him. Funny that it is after we get back to the place that he knows when it acts up. Too much change in a short time, maybe. So, Bill went out to cut the front field while I sat with him inside. I noticed that by 10:00 Clem had settled down and I was able to leave him in the sun on the couch without him following me.
You can see how long the grass was up here before Bill started cutting
 I had some cottage cheese and a banana cut up with cream to tide me over while I went out and started to cut my grass area. The sun has been on it enough now that it won’t be too wet for the little mower. I moved the chairs away from the patio table so I can get around easily without having to stop and do it. Just a quick check on the blade that was loose last time and I was good to go.

Goldenrod perks up an otherwise dull compost bin
Between the two of us and a couple of breaks, we had the lawns and fields all done by 12:15. I pushed mine right to the max today until the battery decided it was done. I plugged it in to charge it up for the next time and sat in the shade. When you have worked up a ‘glow’ and sit in the cool breeze, I know it isn’t good so soon after came inside.
The beefsteak tomatoes are finally getting bigger

Lo and behold! My Rose of Sharon has flower buds!
There were a few things I wanted to Google so did that while Bill got out the portable solar panel. We were both feeling peckish and I remembered that we were out of bread, darn I meant to get to Hanover today. Instead, I pulled out the leftover spaghetti from the other night and warmed it up for Bill. It was only actually the hamburger sauce mix so he had it kind of like a sloppy joe.
Late blooming hosta
 My choice was a chicken salad on lettuce and it was quite good and filling. While Bill settled down to read for a bit I dumped some compost into the bin outside and walked around the property and down the laneway to see what I could find to take pictures of. The wildflowers change so often and even though I don’t know what many are named, I know they are still quite pretty. The card I left in the mailbox yesterday has been picked up and no new mail left for us. No news=good news.

Back inside I jotted some more things in this post and then settled beside Bill with my book. I’m back to reading a Michael Connelly, The Lincoln Lawyer with Michael Haller. It is already grabbing my attention. I guess my trip to Durham or Hanover will be tomorrow. Laundry will be due in the morning before company arrives and I need a few food stuffs.
So, we’re sitting around with our books and Clemson wants to go outside. With a peek at the sky, I grabbed my nylon jacket and book and went out with him. In the sun, I didn’t need the cover up but when it went behind a cloud, I got chilly. Strange weather for sure. While sitting there Pat and Rob texted asking if we were up for a visit. They were on their way home from a day trip and we hadn’t seen them for what seemed a long time.

It was nice to catch up but we moved inside to where the temperature was at least consistent. Nice place to have Happy Hour and with great people to have it with. I made us all a tea and even found it in my heart to share mine with Clemmy. He is such a mooch and likes to drink from our cups. Once in a while we let him. Pat and I chatted about an upcoming event we are going to together and Rob and Bill filled the time easily.

At 6 when the news came on Bill lit the Weber Q and I cup up potatoes to grill with our sausage. This sausage is the honey garlic brand so different than we’ve had recently. Usually the mild Italian is what we buy or the farmer’s sausage. A change is as good as a rest and we’ll enjoy this taste variation. When dishes were done I planned in my head what to have for supper tomorrow night.

Our friends that are coming suggested we potluck it but meaning that we share the meal prep. I’d like to pick up some corn on the cob, a meat and salad fixings for sure. I’m also thinking ahead to dessert as well. Hmmm, I have a couple of ideas so will see what pans out. First, we need clarification of their arrival time.
Lots of apples but not without many flaws
As the sun sets behind me, I finish up my post. I may sort laundry in preparation for the drive into Durham tomorrow morning. It has been a good day, we got the grass all cut and it looks so much better. I hope your day was a great one as well.
Beautiful day


Thank you for stopping in today. If you wish to leave a comment, I would appreciate reading it.

5 comments:

  1. Another fun day on the Ridge you had, and so nice that Rob and Pat are so close and can drop on by. What a supper couple they are.
    Have fun with your company tomorrow as I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on my phone. Taking a break from last minute prep. Our son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandbabies should be here in about 3 hours for what will be a very quick visit. I just wanted to say I always like the flowers you post but I really think your last picture tonight is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was chilly this morning, and then the temperature plunged again tonight. Feels like fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cool nights are arriving too early! It is still August, albeit close to the end. I will likely be doing laundry on Sunday....Gerry is finally coming home today so the planned trip to London will finally take place. I'm tired of talking to myself in this big house, it almost echo's. Gerry mentioned last night that maybe we should be living in an RV;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grounds look beautiful and so green! Glad to hear Gerry was coming home and hopefully on the way to feeling better! Company is always fun to have. We don't get a lot but we love it when we do! Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete