Friday, October 20, 2017

Easier Day, Hardy Mums, Car Storage, Mom

On Friday, Oct. 20th we woke up together. I was awake at 6 and over the next hour was the first I heard Bill coughing all night. Before I went to bed, I pampered him by rubbing Vick’s on his chest (yes, he could do this himself but……he’s a guy) and then on the bottom of his feet. He put socks on, which is unusual, but it seems to work in preventing coughing while sleeping.

We had our tea and coffee at our laptops before I had my shower. We’re coddling our fresh water more these days as the wells at Gerry’s Acreage are closed off for the winter. We agreed that he do this on Thanksgiving weekend after filling our tank and a spare bladder. If we were desperate we could probably beg, borrow or steal from Pat and Rob. So, a shower today and Sunday before we pull out will leave us with about 25 gallons for travelling.
15 minutes before I hopped in the shower, Bill sprayed the bathroom with Black Flag
 Bill cleaned up and nipped into Durham to get gas for his mower, just enough to cut the rest of the grass and then we’re done for this season. Yay! I’m done cutting grass for a while. We both got our exercise yesterday, our Fitbits were so proud!

Clemson in his morning spot
My first challenge this morning was to put our clean duvet into the cover I had. I wish someone had told me before I bought the cover that I should go smaller than the duvet. We have a king size bed; therefore, sheets and duvet are the same size. The duvet does not completely fill the cover and that makes it slide all over the place. Grrr. Because of that I haven’t had the cover on since the last time I washed the duvet.

Maybe it isn’t a common rule but my sister, Gayle, suggested ‘after’ I bought one, that I should buy a Queen size duvet cover and pin the corners like I am doing now. That way, it doesn’t have sliding room. It just seems one side is always puffier (bunched) than the other. Such a simple thing but it frustrates me. We don’t want a heavy bedspread or multiple blankets; the weight is ridiculous. Been there, done that. The duvet (other than stuffing it) is perfect for us in all weather.

And the duvet is back on the bed with Sergei, Clemson's stuffed friend
I made myself another tea while Bill finished up the back field. We have our leftover omelette for brunch or lunch, whatever, when he is done. I am going in to see Mom this morning before her lunch so can eat when I come back. I don’t feel too hungry yet this morning. I brushed my teeth after having a couple of spoonfuls of yogourt and headed into town.


Once more when I arrived, her door was closed tight and lights off in her room when I peeked. There she was under her blanket on her bed. She was dressed and not in as sound a sleep as the other day because when I said hello, she smiled and started to sit up. I turned her light on and opened the curtains. She said she was so lazy, sleeping so much!

Last time this year
It was a lovely visit and a very nice passerby stopped in and offered to take a picture of us when he saw me trying to do a selfie. Sweet! 


Much nicer than any I take on a self-timer. Another visitor stopped in to see Mom. Bradeep was his name and he is the resident physio-therapist. He wanted to walk with Mom and talk to her about her troubling back.


 This is where it gets awkward with a dementia person, she fluffed her back issues off with a wave of her hand. He asked her questions and I felt for him simply because I don’t know if he realized that she honestly couldn’t remember. It puts Mom on the defensive if you mention dementia in front of her, so I walked quietly behind them. If he caught my eye at one of her replies, I nodded or shook my head.


A very pleasant young man he was and when he offered the simple solution of a hot pack on her lower back for 20 minutes during a day, she flatly refused. Oh my. She said it wasn’t that bad and she would never be able to sit for that long. I tried to encourage her to try it when she is resting on the bed or sitting for her meals but she said she was fine. He said he would come back on Tuesday and see if it is any better. The good news is that the results of the x-rays were negative. None of us know how bad her pain is.

I walked her down to lunch and she was one of the last to arrive. She was in no hurry today. I spoke to Aunt Mary before leaving and said hello to Freida who sits with her. From Rockwood I drove downtown and chatted with Stephanie at IDA about my shingles prescriptions. She wished me luck in Mexico getting what I need at a better price. I picked up some Vitamin D for Bill and got home at 12:30 for my lunch. 

Bill was a busy beaver again today. He finished the grass cutting and cleaned the mower off before putting it and the little wagon away. He was washing the Weber Q and we figured one more use, and it can be stowed in the ‘garage’ of our Suite. 
Clemson gets to go along for a ride
I changed into work clothes and took the Hardy Mum, that Rob and Pat gave me, up the hill. It doesn’t have a lot of healthy blooms left so I hope it isn’t too late to plant. I dug the hole and plopped it in. Fingers crossed it will survive and live up to its name! I forgot to take a picture, maybe tomorrow. The next thing was to compost the tomato and pepper plants. I have 4 little peppers I’ll pick on Sunday to eat up as well.

I had my omelette with fresh little tomatoes and now have to decide what to do with the remaining ones in the fridge. I’ll probably make more soup, something I can freeze rather than give them all away or throw them out. That decision ‘to be continued’. I cleaned up dishes and Bill came in for a snooze. He hasn’t stopped with the physical labour since he got up. My activity has been on a much easier level.


After cleaning up the dishes, we were feeling that there wasn’t much left to do. At 3 o’clock we drove both vehicles to Murray Flemings to store the car for the winter. We called last night to let him know what time we were coming. From there, since we were close to Hanover, I popped into The Independent. They have the Kombucha where the Foodland in Durham does not. I like having it on hand because I’m not sure yet where I can get it once we cross the border. 3 bottles for $10.98 so I got 6. Yay!

On the way home, we discussed supper tonight and also supper tomorrow night in London. Tonight, it is all about simple. Bill requested grilled cheese sandwiches and that sounded good to me. I could include sliced tomatoes in mine and maybe even onion. Hmmm, sounds good. Dinner for us has never really been a big deal, we are easy to please. After eating out so much lately, in Toronto, we can take a night off from a big meal.

We have made arrangements to have dinner in London with our kids tomorrow. I think I have told you this. The day has arrived, holy cow, really quickly too! We wanted to make sure that we could stop and see Dad and Marilynne one last time too in Stratford. Without extending our day too much either before or after dinner, we decided to invite them along. They will enjoy seeing all of the kids too and we’ll get a visit in at the same time.

Following Bill down the lane to drop the car off
Back home again, Clemson got his supper and then we relaxed for an hour before starting our own. Not only are the flies still regular visitors in our Suite but now we are starting to notice lady bugs on the outside of the windows. Enough already! Two days and counting!

Crazy busy grocery store today
After supper, we did the dishes up and I sent an email to my siblings about my visit with Mom today. They would be interested in the xray results, especially. At 7 pm it is dark outside but still quite mild at 16C/60.8F. I can’t hear the wind so that has died down as well. I can honestly say that these accomplishing days have been good ones. 

The pressure to get things done was not pushing us at an uncomfortable rate, we spread it over many days. With just two things left to tuck away, one in the Suite and one in the outhouse, we are in a really good position to leave on Monday as scheduled.

This one speaks for itself

I hope this has been a good day for you too. Thank you for stopping in. All comments are welcome!

12 comments:

  1. Nice to get those last few things taken care of and you will be soon on your way, having too much fun on the road again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful day for sure. Mom will be doing her 'flirting' with the physiotherapist for the first few visits but maybe she will actually let the staff bring her hot packs during the day. It will be sad to see you go for six months. You guys were so close at the Ridge! We will see you at the end of November though, which will be nice. I have a couple of big mums to plant as well, though not the hardy ones so they may not survive. I'll have to wait for next year to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is nice to be so close although the weather wasn't conducive to you being at the Acreage much this summer.
      I will bring you my Christmas cactus on Sunday for safe keeping.

      Delete
    2. Hey, girls, I have a wee suggestion for those non-hardy mums. I've heard that they will have more chance to prosper if you cut them back after you plant them. If you've given them good soil and lots of water, they will send their energy into developing roots instead of blossoms. (And the blossoms will start to die soon anyway, so it's no big deal -- especially when you're not even going to be there to see them.)
      Happy and safe travels, Pat and Bill!

      Delete
    3. great, Aj, thanks. I will do that. They look pretty bad right now anyway. :)

      Delete
  3. You're really getting it done! Beautiful pictures again! Bet you'll be glad to get away from those flies, you've really had a time with them! 24 degrees here this am..The colors are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels good to have things finished up for sure. Today, Sunday should be mostly relaxing. We've earned it! :)

      Delete
  4. Getting everything finished before hitting the road is always a challenge but a necessity.
    Hoping to cross paths again this winter.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed and now with a couple of spare days to relax, things are great. I'm sure we'll see you at some point!

      Delete