Sunday, October 22, 2017

Last Day, Last Visits, Last Sleep, Last Post, Special Lunch at Rockwood Terrace

On Sunday, Oct. 22nd Bill and I were up about 7:30. It was a good night’s sleep, I didn’t hear Bill coughing last night so that is good. I was so pleased for him that his cold was not apparent much yesterday at all, especially at dinner. There is nothing worse than being in a restaurant or even with a group of people and you are sniffling and coughing. Hopefully, we can say goodbye to it when we pull out tomorrow too. This should be a pretty easy day.


We bagged up our last garbage and tagged it to take into Durham, Rob and Pat said they would look after it for us next week. Neither of us ate breakfast this morning since we’d be having a big lunch with Mom today at Rockwood Terrace. Bill plugged in the central vac and went from window to window, room to room and got rid of the hundreds of dead flies that were in the ledges. Then he washed the windows on the inside of the Suite, they were smudged as you can imagine. At the same time, I began putting things away into cupboards for travel and using the bungy ball fasteners to secure the doors.


We got cleaned up and at 11:15 drove into Durham. I could see a table for 3 set up at the corner of the dining room so figured that was reserved for us. We checked with the cafeteria staff and asked how we paid for Bill’s and my meals. We took the elevator up and found Mom walking down the hall in the opposite direction. Being it was Sunday, between Renee and I we talked Mom into changing out of the top she was wearing into something a little dressier.


She was tickled that we were joining her for lunch and soon found out that it was a treat but also a goodbye for a few months. After pleas to take her with us, we had a lovely, very filling meal. Starting with vegetable soup, milk, water, juice, tea, we then had Cheese Dreams (cheese and bacon on buns) and a salad. It was quite good and then we had French cheesecake for dessert. I was stuffed and all for $6.80!

We walked back up to Moms room with her and sat for a few minutes before giving her multiple hugs and kisses at the elevator. She is quite the card and I will miss her funny tales and especially the delight on her face when she sees me. Before sitting down for dinner, I stopped and greeted Aunt Mary. She was also happy to see me and happy for our trip south, however showed disappointment when I said I wouldn’t see her for 6 months. I will miss her too.


From there we drove to fill the truck up with diesel after realizing that FS was closed and we couldn’t get propane on a Sunday. Oh well, tomorrow morning on our way out of town we’ll be able to stop. We drove home to pick Clemson up and back into Durham to visit Pat and Rob briefly. Darn, I meant to get a picture with our buddies! I avoided saying ‘we’ll miss you’ again because……well, it makes me sad. Pat suggested Facetime on Messenger with Mom so we’ll just use to keep in touch with them too.

Back home, I dusted everything. It makes me smile, even though I dislike dusting, to be able to do it from top to bottom, woodwork included in 30 minutes. The stainless-steel fridge needed a really good cleaning and this Orange glow cleaner does a great job on it without leaving streaks.


When that was finished, we were both steamed up so opened up some windows. Not only that, but I poured myself a Steam Whistle beer that was in the fridge. Our friends, Jeff and Joan, brought it for us to try. I’m not a beer drinker but this one isn’t too bad. What’s with the belching though? LOL I’m not used to that! I drank half of the beer and that was enough.

My sister, Audrey, suggested on Friday’s post that we should try cutting our hardy mums off, since the flowers were drying anyway. Water them good and let the goodness go to the roots instead of the blooms. Easy! The blossoms on mine were pretty much dead already. So, I went out and did that around 4. I tossed the clippings into the composter along with my 2 remaining pepper plants. The 4 baby peppers along with them. I can’t take them across the border.


Donna and Gerry came in after 4:30 to say goodbye. We had no chairs outside so we sat indoors and talked about our dinner last night and lunch with Mom today. We look forward to having them visit us in just over a month in Arizona, a place they have never been. 
Gerry and Bill's faces don't take away from Donna's smile
We hugged and promised to keep the texts coming, keep in touch in other words. As they drove away we folded up the patio mat together and put it into the garage, just the satellite dish left to put away in the morning.

The pond picture is for Deb & Tom
Tonight, for supper, something simple. I’m not feeling too hungry and I’m sure that is because of the big lunch I had. Bill is happy with brown beans on toast so that makes it easy for me. I opted for chicken salad on toast with cheese and my last Ridge apple on the side.  





Everything we have planned for over the last month comes down to this. Our last night of sleep here on the Ridge for this year. I walked outside and snapped some photos feeling excited but melancholy too. This is such a beautiful spot and I've enjoyed the various sunrises, sunsets and views across our area. 


And the sun shines on our Mobile Suite for the last evening 
I hope you’ve had a great day too. Thank you for reading, stick around for our travels to the southwest! Love to hear from you. 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a couple of wonderful but busy days. Looking at the pictures from your dinner I would have to say good looking family. (Your son has a great sense of humor...lol) The one with your mom is wonderful. I am sure it was not easy saying goodbye. The only bad part about leaving is leaving the ones we love behind. I do like using facetime through messenger to keep in touch.
    Nice picture of the sun on your Mobile Suite and thank you for the lovely picture of the pond. I was just thinking I would miss the pond pictures.
    Safe travels tomorrow and the coming weeks as you make your way south and west. Tom and I are looking forward to following your travels.(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to say goodbye to family but we know they are only a phone call away, Facetime or Hangouts. Mom and Dad were the hardest to leave for obvious reasons.
      Thank you for the travel wishes, we will be careful and hope everyone else on the roads are as well. See you soon!

      Delete
  2. Hope you two have a wonderful relaxing 6 months in the south. Safe travels, and look forward to a visit again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stew. We look forward to a visit in 2018 as well! Have a good winter, keep the home fires burning.

      Delete
  3. Nice to get things all wrapped up and on the road. We don't say good bye its just a see ya later, and away you go. We find drinking beer from a bottle or can is gassy , that why we pour it onto our mugs, no belching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great drive to the South West. We are looking forward to seeing you the end of November. Adios until then sis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that you had the chance to visit with your mom before leaving.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the start of your next adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny when I drink Corona Light I belch like a man! I like to drink it quickly because I like it really cold, almost icy. Looked like a nice lunch w mom! We have loved all the pictures from the Ridge but are looking forward to your travel pictures! Travel safe this morning!

    ReplyDelete