Saturday, October 28, 2017

More Wows! Moab, Utah

It was another early start on Saturday, Oct. 28th but that’s okay, we can make more plans before we pull out. After rising and checking our blogs I watched the sun shining on the mountains around us. My directions are kinda messed up since our last campground. It’s just me, not a great sense of direction. I just get it figured out at home by seeing where the sun rises and sets and now down here, it is different.

First off - James M. Robb Colorado River State Park pictures



Today, I had my days messed up too! Lordy oh Lordy! Bill and I sat down to check out ‘where to next?’ We saved having to drive into Grand Junction and we filled up yesterday when we arrived so we could travel straight down I-70 to the Moab, Utah area. We’ve heard so much about that area that we would be remiss (stupid!) if we didn’t take the time to meander through some of the National Parks and take in the sights.
Still warm enough for these little daisy type flowers

Looking out toward the entrance

These orange/yellow trees are everywhere



I walked around the park taking some more pictures, because I just didn’t get enough yesterday. Yah right. Anyway, it was a fast walk, my fingers were frizzed but I walked to the gate and checked out the entrance sign before heading back to the Suite. We were in no rush to move this morning but at the same time were on the road before 9:30. The sun was shining across a cloudless sky and the temperature was hovering around 38F/3.3C.
My banana, yogourt, granola and flax seed breakfast
hits the spot
Hopping easily onto I-70 this was one of the smoothest morning starts to get onto the Interstate from our campsite. You gotta love that. The temperature began rising almost immediately and before long we were leaving ‘colorful Colorado’ and entering (less colorful?) Utah. It was 10:12 am and 50F.


Still following the Colorado River or is it following us?
We drove a while longer and at 10:45 pulled into a rest area with nice spaces for trucks or rv’s to park, just a small walk to the washrooms and info centre. I usually go first and I met and chatted with a young lady in the washroom. She and her fiancé were from Indiana and on their way to Las Vegas to get married! How romantic! He called her his ‘chinchilla girlfriend’. Sweet.



Their sign says "Welcome to UTAH"
Life Elevated

Nice plaque
 Bill took Clemson out for his nature calls and then he walked to the building when I returned. There was a steep climb up to a seating area where you could sit and enjoy the view so we walked up. I didn’t have the best shoes for this but it was what I wanted to do. The pictures I took were with my zoom lens because I had been spying on the young couple. Shame shame, tsk tsk.
Totally unaware of what state he is in.........oh, except the dream state
We pulled back out onto the highway and within 5 minutes we took Exit 182 onto 191S to Moab. Our gps had us on a bit of a wild goose chase looking for free blm lands or even Seven Mile Parking signs. There is no real address that the gps will accept. These roads were certainly not marked the way Google Earth showed them. We totally missed them the first time.
I was watching the love birds

They were cute together
Coming back through Moab Bill saw the sign Gemini Bridges Road and we turned in. It was a little confusing, a front area for parking, close to the highway with a couple of fifth wheels and pickup trucks with utility trailers for 4 x 4’s. Then further back were some nicer private sites. The cost was posted $5 per day/$15 overnight, again an honour system and they come around and check. We paid for one night undecided at this point.
From the rest area hilltop

There really isn't a lot of colour in this section of Utah


We found a spot back further, less traffic and got settled nicely away from the direct power lines. We dealt with that at Golden Pond a bit and wanted to avoid it here. We were both tired and hungry, it was a frustrating hunt for the camping area we were told about. Frustrated at ourselves for not finding it easily. Once we’d had a bite to eat, I poured myself a Hires Root Beer Vodka. Now that’s what I’m talking about! Bill and Clemson went up for a snooze.

And then there was colour
These light sections are actually green

And the colours started to burst

Approaching Moab

When I rolled my window down to take these pictures, my jaw dropped
Stunning!


It is a gorgeous 67F  (19C for you, Donna) and I it feels good to know that we are staying put for 3 nights. Well, unless our jaunts around the area tomorrow produce a blm spot for free. Then we’ll move. I put on shorts and went outside with my book. I'm reading Four Blind Mice by James Patterson now And I was hooked from the Prologue.

This weather is too good to miss. It was actually quite hot out there in the sun but I loved it. This is why I’m here, to be warm. We hadn't pulled our chairs out so i brought a dining chair out to sit on with Clemson's stool for my feet. With a little table  from the 'garage' I was all set.




Bill and Clem got up around 4:15 from their nap and he suggested we go into Moab to get some cash and some propane. One tank was empty. We shouldn’t need propane tonight to keep us warm, it is only going down to about 51F/10c but when one tank is empty, he likes to fill it right away. We drove through town, what a hub bub of bustle, and first visited Wells Fargo for a withdrawal and then checked for propane. We’ll need to come back, they are only available to fill bottles until 3 pm.

Our spot for the night
Too bad we didn't have a nice view (LOL)
We’d decided on Pizza Hut for supper and since we had Clemson with us we just ordered Carry Out. It would be cheaper to bring it home and have our own drinks. Plus, we don’t have to drive after eating. We met another couple who were just as confused as we were about this Seven Mile Parking area. They have a motorhome and tried a few blm lands (the free ones) but they weren’t conducive to a big rig. Rough roads and/or a huge biking community is filling them up. We’ve noticed the bikes and he told us it is a big event this weekend.


So, they were happy to hear that they could come in here and park for the night at $15. They are from Lake Havasu. Our pizza hit the spot and I actually had one piece left for another day. I should have stopped sooner, I’m almost too full. We sat at our laptops and Clemson curled up in his bed on the couch. He is quite content now that we’ve stopped for the night.




The sun was gone from our Suite when we returned at 5:45 because of the mountains around us. There are some beautiful red ones directly behind us and I can’t wait to see more tomorrow in the area. 

this is all I could see of the sunset
Other than some confusion about finding this place and a couple of other upsets (hydro line jitters & clothes falling down) we’ve had a good day and were settled by 1:00. I hope that your day was a good one too.


Good night from Moab, Utah
Thank you for reading today. We are in the gorgeous state of Utah!! We need to put some state stickers on our map! I love reading your comments.

24 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your beautiful pics of Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the state of Utah. Steve & I drove through it last April on our way to Vegas. Beautiful. Love all your pics. Have you visited the Arches State Park in Utah?
    Safe travels my friends. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful, so far. We are going to Arches National Park today, can't wait!

      Delete
  3. and we love reading your blogs! thank you for the read. We are in the park in bullhead waiting your arrival. Same spot as last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha funny Lori. :) You, my dear, are VERY welcome!
      We will see you in just under a month. :0

      Delete
  4. I just told Tom where you are. We had planned the same destination but by a different route. (Next year) Nothing more miserable then when you cannot find the place you are looking for. Glad you were able to finally find a place with a half way decent view...LOL I am looking forward to reading about your adventures in the area. Have fun and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took a chance coming across this high up but it has worked out perfectly for us! It is really frustrating trying to find places with a big rig but we found it.

      Delete
  5. Nice that you made it there such beautiful country. Enjoy the area so many scenic drives and wonderful parks to explore. We just parked ay the front of the 7 mile parking lot, just over the train tracks, don't remember any power lines though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see where you parked but there are too many vehicles there now. The power lines were over and behind where you were. They are in your pictures. :)

      Delete
  6. You've reached some beautiful country down there! Quite the contrast to West Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You eat your yogurt exactly the same way I do! Yum..I'm a stalker too when it comes to interesting people! Love that part of Utah! Again we've noticed over the years that no matter when you go there's always too many people! makes it harder to get into the parks and now it looks like the powers that be plan on making entrance fees MUCH higher in the near future. Glad you're able to enjoy them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, love adding things to my yogourt and this week it is bananas and flax seed.
      Many people and larger rv's! Ha! We are in that category.
      Yes, we heard about the increase but here we are and hope we can still afford it down the road. :)

      Delete
  8. Love the photos of the area. Hope you get to see some of the parks while the weather is so nice. I've never been to Utah, so looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an amazing journey, I hope you enjoy the photos from Sunday.

      Delete
  9. Love Utah. It is one of the prettiest States. Wait until you see Bryce and Zion! I do hope you make it there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to see, so little time! We are scheduled into a park in Nevada on the 1st so our time is limited here.

      Delete
  10. The yellow trees you saw in Colorado are Aspens. Drive your truck (not the 5th wheel) out of Moab and east on highway 128 for a beautiful drive along the Colorado River. You will find several campgrounds along this route. Turn around and come back to Moab for an even nicer view.
    Gene in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gene for the info about the trees. I'll see if I can talk Bill into it tomorrow, the drive I mean. :)

      Delete
  11. Love the pictures in this post, can't wait to see what ones you have after visiting Arches National Park and other Utah sites. I too have my yogurt the same way except I use half an apple rather than bananas - although I'd love that as well. Love the crunch of the granola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I hope you enjoy them. I had to really refrain!
      I just picked up more yogourt and more bananas too!

      Delete