Saturday, November 11, 2017

Remembrance Day, Veteran’s Day, Same Thing Different Countries

On Saturday, November 11th I was up just after 7 am and out for another lovely walk. So quiet at that time of the morning and that is part of the beauty of it. I walked around both east and west sides of the park and probably saw 4 other people up and about in my 30 minute walk. When I returned, Bill was still in bed but Clemson got up to greet me. I took him for a short walk around the water tank to the small dog run and let him off leash.
When the sun comes up it is a good day
Bill was up around 8, he’d stayed up watching movies last night until after 11:30. We had tea and coffee outside on the patio with our laptops. Oh, after I trimmed and polished my toe nails. They needed attention and since I’m at the pool so much I wanted them to look presentable. We caught up on posts and comments and then switched to Facebook.

The best news of the day was posted on FB by our friend, Lori. We’d heard yesterday that our membership park, Ridgeview RV Resort in Bullhead City (where we’re going soon), was taken over by a new association, CRA. This CRA also owns this park and the Preferred RV Resort at Pahrump we just left. Know where I’m going with this? Both these parks have heated pools. Ridgeview doesn’t. One of my pet peeves about that place.

NOW, they do! CRA has moved in and done what should have been done all along. It is such a beautiful pool at R.R.V.R. and unless you are there during summer or mid to late March, forget swimming in it. I was ecstatic when I read Lori’s comment and had actually woke up this morning wondering that exact same thing. This just makes the park so much more appealing to us as well as our guests.


So, at 9:30 Bill and I drove across London Bridge Road to the public laundry at the edge of the park. No one was there, surprising for a Saturday, so we loaded two machines. Bill took a drive out to the main drag and found Harbor Freight, which is a glorified Princess Auto in his world. He was so happy to find they have a lot of great deals on things he was looking for. He contained himself and bought a couple of small things at the top of his list.

When he returned we folded the clothes and came home for some breakfast. I made up bacon and eggs around 11 and that should tie us over until supper at 5. The clubhouse/park is putting on a Veteran’s Day Potluck and Dance that we are happy to attend. I have a cherry pie as our contribution, following their instructions “Q-Z = apple or cherry dessert”. I prefer taking desserts over main courses anyway. They will supply the fried chicken and table settings for $5 pp.

The Clubhouse was decked out very smartly
We both changed into our bathing suits and took our books outside. We sat with Clemson for a bit after we’d cleaned up from eating.  At 1 o’clock, we walked up to the pool. No doggies allowed, sorry Clem! Just one other couple was there when we arrived so I got my pick of the chairs again. I’m sure you can move them around but I try to focus on the ones in the sun. Bill doesn’t sit enough or he would choose shade each time.

The water was wonderful and once again I smiled with the knowledge that I can continue swimming in a heated pool at our next park. Sorry, I am just thrilled! Our new friends, Steve and Kathy arrived about 15 minutes later and we all chatted with another couple about places to go around the area. There are lots of cheap dining and drinking establishments and good tips on grocery shopping if you listen and can retain all the info.

Lots to eat tonight
Kathy and Steve told us that they walked down to Stagger Lee’s last night for a beer and were chuckling at the karaoke. People who can’t sing but put on good performances all the same. They had a good time. We might have to check it out sometime. I skipped the hot tub today instead floating on a pool noodle in the deep end with everyone.

My blue drink
I couldn’t help but laugh at what our 30-40-year-old kids and our 15 to 20-year-old grandkids would think seeing all of us ‘seniors’ floating on pool noodles! I looked around and amazingly felt like a kid myself, looking in as if from another world. Grown men in a group with a noodle wrapped around their bodies or between their legs. I hope you can picture it and enjoy the chuckle with me. I’m one of the crowd now!

The unveiling of the blanket was touching
Bill walked back a few minutes ahead of me again and I rolled onto my stomach and read a chapter before following. We needed a snack before dinner at 5 so he had some cheese and I had an orange.  I sat outside in the shade which is registering at 81F/27C and have to shake my head. What a life! I read for a short while and soon realized we needed to get cleaned up and ready to walk over.

I wasn't in a good spot to take Bill's picture
 I put ice packs, glasses, a couple of Smirnoff drinks and ice into our cooler. I know it wouldn’t matter what we wore, most of these events in parks don’t require a change of clothes. We are different. So, I put on a white skort, a black and white top and Bill dressed up nicely in grey shorts and his black shirt. Lastly, we both pinned on our poppies.

There were a few apple and cherry pies, different bean dishes, potato and macaroni salads brought by campers. Fried chicken and lemonade was supplied by the staff and it was delicious. Following dinner, there was a touching memorial for attending vets, a blanket that was found in a foot locker was unveiled and a teary-eyed dedication to vets who didn’t come home.
This table was set up for the missing vets
Each piece from the tablecloth to the place setting
to the candle, lime and salt had a special meaning
After the Pledge of Allegiance was chorused Annette asked if anyone wanted to say anything. A couple of people spoke, one making a lovely comment about not only is America beautiful but Canada is also beautiful. That was very nice of him to say as he knew there were a few Canadians in the hall. Then Bill approached the mic and was welcomed with applause. He began with a prelude to In Flanders Fields and then finished by reading the poem for everyone. It was really nice.

There was entertainment by "Walkin the Line Again", a husband and wife team. Okay, so it wasn’t anything to write home about and the first time ever that I’ve NOT danced to Boot Scootin’ Boogie. It pained me to sit through it but honestly, his voice, guitar and her mandolin was so off with the organ beat that I didn’t know whether to scoot or boogie. Sorry, I’m sure they were playing for free out of the goodness of their hearts and I applaud that at least. I really hate to critique, having musicians in the family makes it tougher. 
Our entertainment
There were a few good songs, the June Carter/Cash tune was quite well done. I guess I was expecting more. Bill and I did get up to dance to one slow song. Anyway, we stayed until almost 8 and walked home. This band was supposed to play until 10 and there were probably only 8 people there when we left. My money was on them closing up early.

The first Christmas Tree for me this year
I took Clem out for a short walk before coming in for the night to finish this post. It was a fun day here in the park. I hope you’ve enjoyed your day. Oh, before we left, tickets were drawn to win t-shirts. All money from the sales will be donated to Kurt Fowler and his family. 
My ticket was drawn so I walked out with a tee
Kurt Fowler is a resident of Lake Havasu City an Arizona firefighter who was
off-duty at a concert in Las Vegas when he was shot shielding his wife
It was a good cause
Check out the story here


Thanks for stopping in. I enjoy reading your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day at the pool and a nice memorial day celebration. Nice that you will have the heated pool there at Ridgeview, but I hope that with CRA taking over the park we do not loose it as a ROD park, CRA has done that to a few ROD parks that used to be in the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a wonderful day and a nice service.
      We also hope they don't take away ROD but if they do, maybe they will make it an AOR instead, like they did to this one. That would work for us, not as well obviously, but we would still go.

      Delete
  2. We will be happy to try out the 'heated' pool in Ridgeview. We are also looking forward to some warm temperatures after the -14 Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my! I'll bet. NOW you can tell Gerry, 2 weeks + 2 days and you arrive. :)

      Delete
  3. HaHa, as I'm reading your blog I got a notice that you'd just commented on mine. I can picture everyone in the pool just like a bunch of kids! Glad your having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good timing!
      I wanted so badly to take a picture but contained myself, not sure what the men would think. They probably wouldn't have minded.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on heated pools, cherry pie, bad music, and I use a pool noodle all the time. Do we really look like that with our noodles?? It always seems like people who think they can sing choose Loretta Lynn songs and murder them. lol Nothing like a whiner that is off tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here here! At a karaoke you expect the off key, I would be I'm sure. When playing for an evening I expected them to be better, I guess. She should have turned the keyboard off, it would have been an improvement as they couldn't stay on the same beat. lol

      Delete