Monday, April 23, 2018

G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S!! Kids in a Candy Store and Celebrating with Mom and Family

Waking up on Sunday, Apr. 22nd was with the excitement of another bright, sunny, warmer day ahead. Woohoo! We were up at 6:30 (which surprised me after our late night) and walking up the drive within minutes, even before our tea and coffee. 


Good morning!
We are like 2 (er, 3) kids in a candy store with the joy of being here, with the blue sky, with the melting snow and both blinds open on all windows letting the heat into the Suite.

The top  2 pictures were Saturday mid afternoon shots
The bottom 4 pictures were at 6:30 Sunday morning
At 10 am we have turned the fireplace, heater and generator off completely and opened our outside door. It is 53F/12.6C. Now that is what we’re talking about! Bill and I are trying not to get too anxious, there are patches of gravel showing in the lane now and I can see the ‘itch’ to move in his eyes. We are looking at probably Wednesday, Tuesday at the earliest. We’ll see, we are still quite fine sitting where we are for now.

Once the snow melted, we needed to re-situate our mail box and secure it
At the top right is our Restroom all ready for business
Bottom right, sitting on my gazebo bench and I didn't need the coat 
Today, is the day that my family is getting together at Rockwood, where Mom lives. We have booked the auditorium for a belated celebration of Easter as well as Mom’s 92nd birthday. Things happen for a reason. Now we know the reason that Donna could not get the room any sooner. We would not have been here nor would many others have made it had the event been last weekend with the ice storm. ๐Ÿ˜Š

The top 2 left photos were 12 noon
The other 3 were at 5 o'clock
Clemson is curled up in his bed, on the couch in direct sunlight from the east window. He couldn’t be happier. This gathering today is a potluck so I’ve been debating about what to make to take. There are always plenty of salads and cold dishes and sometimes a few hot meals in crock pots. Donna usually does a turkey. I can use my convection oven to bake with the Champion running.


I found a paleo recipe for a Blueberry Crumble and since I have rhubarb in the freezer, that might be the way to go. Sometimes, we tend to worry about whether there will be enough food but it always works out. We went for another walk up the lane to see how much more of the snow had receded since our 6:30 walk. While up there, I swept out the Ridge Restroom after spraying with Black Flag earlier. Now it is ready for use.


It is so warm in the Suite that Bill has his shirt off and has a couple of windows open. This is G-l-o-r-i-o-u-s! While he was outside setting up our satellite dish, I cleaned up the dishes and got cleaned up myself. Showers yesterday afternoon left us in a state of cleanliness so just a wash was necessary. I’m so happy that it is a warm day and I can shed the dark colours, socks and winter boots and wear my bright ‘spring’ dress.

The 6:30 am walk was not as pleasurable for Clemmy
He was shivering, so I carried him
At 12 noon, I flicked the generator on and put the Rhubarb Crumble in the oven for 35 minutes. It will still be warm by the time we eat at 1:30 or 2. When Bill came inside at noon, he grabbed some crackers and cheese since he hadn’t eaten. I’d had a banana much earlier so knew I could wait until our meal.

When the dessert was baked, we loaded our stuff into the car and soon arrived at Rockwood. It was great to see Mom and give her a big hug. She turned and saw Bill first so he got the first one. She was concerned about not being dressed up but she looked fine to us. Healthy and happy. As more and more of us arrived, more food was set out on the tables and Bill (with his announcer-type voice) eventually brought everyone together and John said Grace. There was certainly enough food and we were all satisfied.
Plenty of room to spread out in the auditorium
We had use of the kitchen to clean up dishes etc.
Mom is looking pretty pleased, isn't she?
There were 22 family members who were able to come and celebrate together over lunch and then my cousin, Harvey and Jennifer, arrived with Mom’s sister, Aunt Fern. Two years older than Mom, she has totally different afflictions, hers physical plus some memory loss. They spent some time together, with a long-standing 92 year bond, one that none of us in the room have experienced. Once things were cleaned up, there was more chit chat before guests started to filter out.

Mom and her sister, Fern
Couldn't seem to get them both smiling at the same time
Bottom left, my great nephew, Noah and my nephew, Matt
Bottom right, my niece, Morgan, entertaining herself
Of course, it was great to see everyone but I especially enjoyed seeing Mom, my second Grandson, Jacob, my daughter, Bridgette and meeting her Musician, Chris. This is ‘my’ immediate family and I feel pleased and content. Now that young man of Bridgette’s knows how to give a great hug! I hope Bridgette’s “pack of Aunts” (as Wendy says) doesn’t frighten him away.

Top - Noah, the 'mini' Beethoven (such a performer!)
Bottom pictures - my talented grandson, Jake ๐Ÿ’“with his great Grandma
We left the party around 5 so we were home in time to feed Clemson. Bill and I took another walk up the lane. I am telling you, we are obsessed with this melting process. Kids in a candy store, told ya. The results are outstanding, the melting from 4 hours earlier shows the power of sunshine and warmth. It was 15C when we took Clemson and drove to Chatsworth for one more gathering at Gayle and Johns’. With Gerry and John’s birthday just around the corner, we had a quick drink together while Audrey and Tom were here from Montreal.


I do like the back country roads but they'll be nicer with a fresh load of gravel
The drive home was filled with potholes and muddy country roads but we encountered little traffic and sometimes that makes it okay. We were home by 8. Bill had a bit of a hunger on so made a sandwich and I had some cheese and yogourt before finishing my post. I downloaded pictures from our 2 phones and 2 cameras and then felt too tired to finish what I started. This has been a wonderful day and I’m exhausted.

Cathy, Bill, Tom
John, Gerry, Bill, Gayle, me, Donna, Audrey
Clemson!
I hope you have also enjoyed the ‘truly’ spring day in your area. 

Last night's sunset

Thank you for stopping by today! I love to hear from you and will respond to every post in time.

9 comments:

  1. Your Mom sure is a young looking 92. I hope I look that good at that age ... actually I hope I MAKE it to that age!! I'm glad spring has finally sprung at the Ridge so Clemson won't be so cold. He is such a handsome guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she is. My hope exactly, to follow in her footsteps......except for the dementia, of course. :)
      Clemson shouldn't be shivering with all his fur! He is a cutie for sure......and I'm sure he knows it.

      Delete
  2. It was an amazing day, sure loved the sunshine and warmth, looks like you will too be able to get yourself set up on the Ridge.
    Nice turn out for your mom's birthday, she is looking pretty good.
    Happy Birthday Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome day for sure! It just perks us up so much to see the sun and feel the warmth.
      Thank you, not as big a turnout as last year, but those of us present were happy to be there.

      Delete
  3. My mom's name was Fern. Not too many women with that name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Same as Marjorie, my Mom's name. Interesting what names were used in those times. :)

      Delete
  4. Your pictures tell a wonderful story of family, friends, and the melting snow.. Your mom looks beautiful, how great to be able to celebrate her 92nd birthday. I am sure the hug felt wonderful.
    The pond looks very nice in the early sun. Wish we could send you some of the wind we have been experiencing. It would be a win...win...Tom would have an easier drive and it would help to finish drying everything up at the Ridge. Happy move day when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the way you write things. :)
      Mom kept commenting on my 'dress', it was a bright orange, and wished she'd got 'gussied' up. ;D
      The pond draws me every day, and many times a day, to take pictures. I'm watching for Yertle the Turtle et al.
      Thank you, hoping for Tuesday morning to move up.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a nice family gathering. And glad that the snow is melting so you can get set up and settled in your summer spot and get started on your gardening, if just getting the ground ready? Clemson just wanted you to carry him so he wouldn't have to walk in the snow!

    ReplyDelete