Monday, April 23, 2018

Laundry in Durham, Income Taxes, Relaxing Afternoon

I’m not sure what time it was when I first woke up on Monday, Apr. 23rd. I woke out of a stupid dream with a start but since it was still dark, I didn’t look at the clock. Next time I looked, it was 5:10 and I dozed again until 6:15 when I got up. It was 9:40 when I went to bed, couldn’t even keep my eyes open to see all of American Idol with Bill. As I was getting dressed Bill asked if I was going out for a walk and offered to join me.


And the sun rises on another beautiful day
We let Clemson out for a piddle, turned the coffee maker on and got dressed. By this time, Clem had found a comfy spot on the couch and didn’t budge at our offer to join us. We walked up the hill and snapped pictures of the sunrise as it popped over the horizon before walking back again. I’m starting to enjoy the company of my walks again and soon I’ll be venturing down the country road to get my miles in.

A familiar place, still in the good hands of Stan's family
We had coffee and tea and Bill sorted the laundry. Today was laundry day, it has been 3 weeks since we’ve emptied the laundry bag. My oh my! Good thing I have lots of clothes! Ha ha. We’ll do our sheets another day. We decided NOT to bring them back wet simply because of the walk up the laneway to hang them. I just wanted them to be done and put away as early as possible so I could relax for the afternoon.

Again, the pond
So, Bill came in with me while we secured and filled 3 washers. Cha-ching, that price hurts the first time! $3.50 for a wash and as much time as you need to dry. That is the bonus, the minimum is .25. Bill then drove uptown Durham to the bank and to fill the gas can for the generator. This is looking like another gorgeous day and jackets are not required. Hand pump in the air…..YES!

Some things we got up to today
Back home, I made eggs and bacon for breakfast and then I slipped my short boots and walked up the lane again. Clemson didn’t want to give up his sunny spot….again…..and Bill got started on our Income Tax. While up on the Ridge, I opened the bunky and swept all the dead flies up and out the door. That spray from yesterday did the trick and once we are able to move things out of the bunky, there will be more to sweep.

Last years cornfield behind us
What a treat on my walk back. I noticed the turtles are returning and out sunning their shiny backs. I traded the small Canon camera for my big one with zoom lens and crept out again. They are clever and ever-watchful so I had to sneak up on them to get pictures. I was thrilled to see them again, I missed them. 

I took these 3 pictures from way up on the highest point of the property


this overlooks the field of grass that Bill cuts all summer
That was the good news. The bad news was waiting inside. We were concerned that Bill might have to pay on his Income Taxes but it isn’t him that got hit this year. It is me and it is an outrageous amount. We’ll have to make an adjustment on my CPP immediately so it won’t be so bad for 2018. Ouch! We sure don't like that! Oh well, it is only money. $$$




I’m not into a book right now, well, that’s not entirely true. I started one of a totally different nature than what I’m used to and I haven’t found it intriguing enough to continue. It sounds like a good story so I don’t want to give up on it too soon. I’ll let you know how I make out with it. I grabbed my camera around 1:30 and took a walk up the lane again. Couldn’t interest Clemson into joining me because Bill was cutting cheese up for a sandwich. His favourite puppy dog treat.

The geese and ducks were all over Don's pond next door
My flower garden

Looky looky! New growth!
I had hand washed a couple of things that had some noticeable stains on them, spots that didn’t come out in the wash this morning. A lady in the laundromat suggested bubble bath on the spots so I tried that and it seems to have worked! She just saved me from throwing out a top. I carried them up with me and hung them on my umbrella line. The wind would have them dry in no time even though they were only hand-wrung instead of spun dry.

A sneak peek into our bunky (Ridge Roost) before it is emptied
It is nice when we can prop the outer doors open for the day
I puttered around up there taking pictures and walking the property. A short while later I saw Bill coming up and he started emptying some of the things in the storage shed. First the riding mower, then another mower, then the patio chairs and table etc. etc. Now he is at least able to remove things from the truck and Suite basement to put in there for the summer months. He drove his rider down to the Suite to bring a battery up and Clemson decided to follow him this time.

Now where do you think these little guys are going?
Climbing Quartzsite mountain?
I put an old sheet on the ground in front of the bunky so Clemson could lay in the sun to watch his Daddy. Until I placed my coat on top, he wouldn’t lay on it. What a character! I wasn’t doing anything else so sat in the doorway behind Clem and just soaked in the lovely warm rays of the sun. Even the occasional gusts of wind did not take away from that wonderful D vitamin. Around 3 we closed up the sheds and walked back down the hill.

This is what Clemson did today
Time for a snooze so Bill sat in his recliner and I went up to lay on the bed. We both turned our tv’s on to different channels and I know he slept and I dozed off a couple of times watching Border Security. Interesting stories, apparently not interesting enough! When I came downstairs, Bill turned the truck around so he could use the tailgate to set up the Weber Q. We’d decided on cheeseburgers tonight and I can taste that barbecued flavor already. First time in over 3 weeks!

we've got mail!

Some junk mail but some good stuff too


So, at 5:30 the cooking began and inside I got the condiments out and set the table. While Bill looked after the burgers, I took a walk up the hill with Clemson to retrieve my clothes from the line. Now they smell fresh and the stains are invisible.

Just enough wind today to dry them quickly
My lettuce wrapped bacon cheeseburger was messy and delicious. I didn’t have a salad but instead had a few Angel Sweet tomatoes and black olives with cottage cheese on my plate. We cleaned up dishes and as I sat to write, Bill and Clemson went for their walk up the hill with his camera. They aren’t always long walks but we are getting out more and more to enjoy the weather.

Bill and I had a tailgate party tonight
 We have some programs on tonight, that we watch regularly so once the sun goes down we will settle for the night. This has been a wonderful day again and we are loving every moment. I hope you can say the same! PS - we had dessert tonight. My paleo/keto Rhubarb Crumble with ice cream. Oh my!

Yum yum


Another picture of our furry ball
Going to be a beautiful sunset tonight but not for another 20 minutes
so Good night from the bottom of the Ridge
Thank you for stopping by today! I love to hear from you and will respond to every post in time.

10 comments:

  1. It looks like the snow is melting fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you snow is going you should soon be up top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,to be home. We are enjoying our time here before heading out again. It looks like you are settling in well and enjoying catching up on every thing around you. I must start on our income taxes next week. We requested an extension this year since I didn't have everything I needed until we returned home. Will be glad to see it finished. I hope we don't have to pay in.....but you always wonder until you get all the figures input.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your income taxes, I wasn't lucky this year.
      It feels great to be home back in a routine.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe how fast the snow if melting! Cute collage of Clemson :) Cute pic of you by the pond! Taxes suck! Sounds like you do yours separately or is that the way it is in Canada? I hate to think with the new tax laws coming into the states next year what that is going to do to ours, and this years was bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that sun is powerful!
      Thank you, I had fun with the collages and pics.
      Taxes do suck! It hit me hard this year so I have to do some adjustment.
      Yes, we individually do a tax return since we've both worked.

      Delete
  5. You guys are making good use of the nice weather you had. We are all rearing to get things accomplished because of the holdup in the late spring. The nice thing for you is that no matter where you are, you just boondocks and settle in. The Ridge looks nice, snow and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, we are settling in here nicely. It doesn't take much to make me happy and what could seem like 'nothing' going on, I can sit and just enjoy the view. :)

      Delete