Saturday, March 9, 2019

Heading Further East with a Southern Jog, Family Birthday, Moving Day Back Home


We were awake at 6 and up a few minutes later on Saturday, Mar. 9th. We had our tea and I noted the cool (cold!) 41F/4C temperature on our weather station. Brrr.  I didn’t plan on walking anyway, we wanted to move as soon as we were all ready.  We had toast and hit the road minutes before 8. Clemson had been up through the night so he had to be woken and dressed at 7:45.

And from Brownfield, the sun gave me a lovely show

Good morning!
I put his sweater and his harness on and popped him in the truck after his morning constitution. He probably wondered ‘what the heck, Mom?’ A couple of things back home worth mentioning today. First, Happy Birthday to my daughter-in-law, Chaela. I hope it is a great one for her. 

Happy Birthday, Chaela
Second, my daughter, Bridgette and Chris move into their new home! We are both so excited for them after each selling their homes in record time. Good luck you two!

Bridgette and Chris
taking the beautiful plunge of moving into a 'new' home together

And this is the equally beautiful home they just bought
We are dying to see it!
We are blessed again with a lovely clear sky for travel. The winds got really wild last night and even worse around 2:30 where some rain fell for about 5 minutes and they reached around 35 mph. 

Rob started out leading today since he's been to our destination before
Then it seemed to stop and we went back to sleep. We do have a windy day, but nothing like that and it is a tail wind for most of the day's travel. That is a bonus for us! So, on US-380E the wind helped us with our gas mileage but on US-84S it wasn’t as kind, with sidewinds.

we were too close to get the whole sign
It was printed on a wind turbine blade
We took a couple of breaks along the route, rest areas to stretch our legs and then once on I-20E the wind was doing us favours again. Our mileage was great and we stopped at an Alon fuel station to top up once more and that should get us to our destination. The prices for diesel have bounced all over but nothing over $3/gal so we were happy campers. Literally. We pulled next door into an empty lot and had our lunches. It was 11:45 am.

We stopped here to eat our sandwiches for lunch
It is great when you can find spots like this
Once we got on the road again, our side of the highway was grooved. The sign said ‘textured pavement’, which we both got a chuckle out of. It was a new way for them to say ‘rough road’ in my book but Bill said back home we call it something different. Where I thought it was something done on purpose to slow traffic down, Bill thinks it is something to help the water runoff. Maybe we’re both right (or wrong).

Textured pavement
(and it was on the highway heading west also)
From I-20 we turned onto FM 4 (Farm Road) which is a two-lane highway again. It felt good to be off the Interstate for the rest of our journey and it was very much farm country with quite the variety of homes. At some points, we felt quite wealthy, looking at what some of the families were living in and then further down the road, some absolutely beautiful homes and properties making my jaw drop. 

This was a neat 2 lane highway
with many different views along the way
This is what we need at the Ridge entrance

Granbury's water tower
We enjoyed the twisting and turning drive as it took us through Lipan, Thorp Spring onto Avery Rd, US377N through Granbury and then onto TX-144 to Glen Rose and Tres Rios RV Park.

Destination and we were all ready to stop
This is one of our membership parks, we are in here under Coast to Coast which means we pay $10/night everything included. We have 30 amp, our choice, and were able to park beside Rob and Pat. This is the beginning of spring break here (and March break back home) so the park is packed with more rv’s and families coming in by the minute. Again, literally. We were aware of this but by staying for 2 weeks, we will still get a quiet week before we leave.

We have a nice quiet spot with lovely soft grass
 We were guided to our sites and the kind staffer helped us get our units (and other visitors) into the sites to the best advantage. We set up and were able to relax by 3. Well, Bill was still busy with his ‘toys’. The wind vane and the solar lights took longer. I sat outside with a wine cooler until he finished and then he joined me with his own drink. We sat in our shorts until the 80f temperatures dropped off to 74 and then moved inside.

And Rob and Pat next door with an equally nice site
We were tired but happy from the drive so had our own Happy Hours today
I know that it is still warm, very warm, but we were in the shade and I needed to either put more clothes on or go inside. Clemson wanted out so he and I took a long walk around the park. That is when I decided that we are in the best possible sites here on this lovely grass and away from the bulk of the families. I’m looking forward to walk more on my own or with someone other than a nosy little mutt. God love him but he sure sniffs a lot! ðŸ˜Š 

Lone Star Lodge where you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner
I took some pictures of the trail (down there) that I'll walk tomorrow
Back at the Suite, I started making something with ground beef. I didn’t really have a plan but started throwing onions and the spices required for a stroganoff into the fry pan after the meat had browned. I added sour cream and stirred it in. On the side I cooked some elbow macaroni and mixed it all together for a sloppy meal.  If Bill doesn’t like it, I won’t make it again, but sometimes Ketchup fixes anything! 

It looks to be a beautiful park from what I've seen
and I'm anxious to explore in the peaceful morning hours
When it came time to eat, I suggested a bun on the side. You know what? It didn’t taste half bad! We both enjoyed it and now have leftovers for another meal. Dishes were cleaned up shortly after 6. 

Tonight's supper
This was a made up recipe mostly and didn't taste too bad
I'm sure we've all done that!
I’m thinking of home again, at the end of this post. I wonder how my daughter made out with her move today. I’m sure she’s tired even though she says all she had to do today was pay big bucks and watch younger people lift her stuff. I got a kick out of that but I'm glad she hired someone to move her. I’ll talk to her tomorrow.

A couple of cherry (?) trees in blossom
spring is literally just around the corner
This has been a good day. We’ve moved another 350 miles to the east and the warmth followed us. We are in a beautiful park with trees and green grass. My sister, back home, would love it. On the drive today, I started a new crochet project. I think Clemson needs a new blanket. Here I am working on the first part ball of yarn so a good colour to start with.

Just getting started


I think we're going to enjoy our stay here
Good night all!
We’ll have a good night’s sleep with a window or two open tonight as it is only going down to 54F. I hope you’ve had a good day too.
Thankyou for stopping by today.

14 comments:

  1. What a nice park!!!! So happy the weather is holding for you. Maybe Clemson needs a new coat too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a very nice park with lots of stuff going on. :)
      I thought about a coat for Clemson but I need more practice and softer wool first!

      Delete
  2. Another good choice for a park. What a lovely setting and temps too. Did I miss your previous crochet project reveal? What was it? Wouldn't it be nice to have an entrance gate for the Ridge like you showed on the picture? There are so many nice ones down here in the Southwest for an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a lovely park that we've never been to before. Rob and Pat have in the past as well as G & S. No, I didn't reveal on my post as I didn't want Bill's youngest to see it. She won't read the comments so it is a blanket for her baby boy arriving on Monday. :)
      It would be nice to have a gate like that "The Ridge Ranch" Bill said. :)

      Delete
  3. "Textured" pavement is the start of preparation for a new layer of fresh pavement. I would probably have come up with some other peculiar description...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aah, makes sens. Thank you. I wish I had captured the sign but missed it. :)

      Delete
  4. We love that park have been there many times over the years. Enjoyed the wildlife centre and some very interesting things to see in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to exploring the park. It is very pretty from what I've seen so far and will be appreciated next week much more. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a really nice place to spend a few weeks. And beautiful home your daughter just bought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Textured pavement means they ran out of money to put the finishing layer on top. Haha.
    Looks like a wonderful park and the kids will just add to the over all experience with hoots of laughter and fits of giggles. However it is nice that you are a bit of a distance away from the hub of the family camping.
    Love the new house your daughter is moving into, very Victorian, eye catching for certain.
    Happy Birthday Chaela.
    I think dinner looked wonderful, some red,green, orange or yellow peppers would have added some nice colour and flavour. I may have been tempted to dump a can of cream of mushroom soup in there with a bit of that sour cream or some milk. Glad you enjoyed it. Enjoy the park!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha good one about the pavement.
      Fits and giggles would be fine but it's the screeching and yelling we can do without. Glad we are where we are up front. :)
      Bridgette has found a lovely home. The flavour was quite good but I should have added some of our frozen mixed veggies. That was an afterthought. :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice park to be staying in.
    I think you took the warmer temperatures with you.
    Most of Kathy's meals are no recipes.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Bridgette's house looks incredible! I'm thinking she needs to share some pictures to you to share to us! I don't think I can wait for you to get home haha. The park you're at is certainly beautiful! Will look forward to seeing it through your eyes. Happy Birthday Chaela! The baby's going to be here already?! How exciting. Our neighbor Karen is expecting a new grandchild in August and I've told her we'll co grandparent, no more babies in our family until grandkids start..and I can wait a long time for that...haha. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete