Friday, March 8, 2019

New Surroundings, Walkabout Town, Small Tour of a Small Town


On Friday, Mar. 8th I woke at 6 and it must have been because I heard or sensed Bill moving around and getting dressed. It was still pitch-black outside and I realized ‘oh yah, we’ve changed time zones'. On MT it would only be 5:00. It was another night of odd dreaming so glad they went away upon morning wakefulness. Am I the only one who dreams crazy??

A cloudy day in this little community
I got up just after 6:30 and had a tea with Bill. It surprised me that it was so warm outside, 52F. I like that. We don’t have our wind vane up so had to look outside to determine wind speed. Hmm, about 0 – 2 mph, methinks. After my tea and after reading some blog posts, I slipped out for a walk. Didn’t need any other than my windbreaker and vest. I headed up the hill towards town.

Cute little car, too bad about the heat damage though
I’m never sure where to go but after walking at least 5 full blocks back the way we came in, I decided there had to be another section to the main ‘downtown’. Things were bustling, where as far as traffic at 7:30, people heading off to work. There is a Pet Shelter, a Rehabilitation Centre, car wash, a couple of fuel stations and a Donut shop at this end of town. Oh, and a Dollar General, but everything is spread out. The population of Brownfield is 9658 but you'd never think that many people lived here.

Care to tour a bit of the town with me?
First a donut (not really, but just pretend)

Sorry for the slight blur but look at the brick walkway
Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Centre
I used the walk signals and chuckled as I was told repeatedly to ‘wait’, ‘wait’, ‘wait’. You didn’t have to pay attention to the flashing hand or man signal, it made a loud shrill noise when you could actually ‘walk’. It all worked great and kept me safe as well as the sight-impaired who would want to cross. I crossed the street after walking past the Valero  fuel station(diesel at $2.75/gal) by a few blocks and came back on the south side of the street. Seems like a friendly town with a couple of waves and a good morning.

This sign flashed up for me
Why, thank you!
apparently this is a town known for its grapes

There is a quilt trail here, Nancy K. but I only witnessed 3 along my
morning walk
 


Nice temperature for 7:30 am!
Back at camp, Bill was reading and when Clemson got up around 8:30, I took him out. Things seem to be back to normal in his little system so that makes us happy. He is the best little traveler and just likes to check out the new area, just like his Mom does. 

It really doesn't look as crooked in the picture but
after 3 tries still didn't get it straight
A nice couple though, Rob chatted with them for a bit
after they got settled
They are from Wisconsin, spent the winter at Imperial Dam and are in
no hurry to go home
We all have our own story, don't we?
I made us an omelette and then as Bill jumped in the shower, I kept an eye on a 5th wheel coming in behind us. An older couple that gave all 4 of us entertainment for probably 20 minutes and then still took up 2 spaces. LOL.

Back in the park - looks like they need some rain here

Another view of our camp spots
I thought this was kind of neat on the bulletin board in the park
I'm not quite sure what the pigeon holes are for, other than to
maybe put notices in for their visitors?
I made myself a coffee and sat for a few minutes working on today’s post. We met at 11 and drove through the town. We each needed a grocery store of sorts just to get some bread or buns and something for sandwiches on the road.  I also wanted to go back about 3 miles west of town to see something cool that we noticed along the drive. That’s where we headed first. A beautiful creative memorial to the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I’m glad we did that, it was touching.

driving by yesterday, this caught our eye
Back in town, we found the United Supermarket and picked up a few food items. Rob came running towards us and by the smile on his face, I soon learned that they stocked Tillamook Ice Cream. New Mexico didn’t and we thought we’d seen the last of it. Of course, we each had to buy some for our freezers. It is the creamy equivalent of Chapman’s back home; too bad our freezers aren’t empty enough to stock up until we return!


Self explanatory story here of Jesus' resurrection
This is a beautiful dedication


Bibles in Spanish or English $5

I signed the guest book and left a comment
The old rugged cross
 When we arrived back home, we made another coffee and had a cookie snack. I must remember at our next stop to check for more of the sugar free Murray’s cookies so I can snack a bit more guilt-free. Thinking of this park, I took the time to write a small thank you note to the city of Brownfield for the wonderful welcome to visitors travelling through. I will drop it in the box with our donation and also give them a review online. We went next door for Happy Hour in between the rv's, just because we could and planned our departure time in the morning.


Lack of space does not deter us from Happy Hour
when we want one!
The rest of the day was quiet with not much to report. I’ve finished my crocheting project so will focus on my book before starting on the next idea. Supper will be something in the air fryer with a salad making for a nice easy cleanup and a relaxing evening. Turned out to be shrimp in the fryer and a Caesar salad. Oh, that jumbo shrimp was so good! Guess what we are having for dessert? 😊

Quite the name for a shop, eh?
Another great day put to rest. As I write this at 6:30, the winds have picked up to around 20 mph with gusts increasing overnight to 34. We are battened down beside our buddies and looking forward to another great moving day tomorrow. I hope you have had a good day in your neighbourhood.

No sunset picture so you'll have to settle for a supper one instead
It was delicious, by the way
Good night all!
Thank you for stopping in.

8 comments:

  1. I’ve never seen a walking quilt trail. Cool!! It did look like you were a tad close. Here’s to great weather for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't alone, I might have followed it but I didn't know where it would take me or how many there were either. :) We have barn quilts back home and they are cool to see. We didn't have to be so close but since we were only here for a stopover, no problem.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a nice day enjoying a new town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the Resurrection of Jesus is amazing! I'm so glad to see people are respectful and no graffiti says a lot! The inside and outside its incredible! Did it say who built it? A local church maybe? What a cute little town, thanks for the tour! How nice that you will write a note to the town, we do that too when we find one of those places. A nice happy hour with your buddies and then a delicious looking dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was that cop car doing outside your door? Were they bringing Bill home? lol I loved the tomb with the stone rolled away. And the cross made me think, Was it there for as a symbol of the bible commandment to "take up your cross and follow me?" Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting little town. Very thoughtful to leave a note in the box and give a good review on line. Thanks for taking me along on the tour. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete