Sunday, March 3, 2019

One Fine Day, Remembering Elephant Butte, Quail Run


On Sunday, Mar. 3rd we both woke up together after a really good sleep. It was around 6 am when our feet found each other under the covers. Bill slipped out of bed first and turned the Blue Flame heater on just to take the chill out of the air. Our weather station was showing 59F inside and 48F outside. I got up as soon as he was out of the bathroom and we had our first brew together.

Morning sky pictures

Other than the collage, untouched morning beauty
At 6:30 I slipped out the door to take a picture of the pretty sky over the lake to the east. Rob was doing the exact same thing. It was sure pretty. I finished my tea and went out for my walk. The air was so calm and after yesterday afternoon’s strong winds, that was a blessing and I hoped it would last for the day. It wasn’t long after I stepped out when I heard the quail all around me. Rob and Pat were anxious to see them so I texted him.

I don't know if you see them
but these quail were all over the place this morning
 What a nice treat following familiar lanes in this park. I knew where they led after having walked them many times last year around the same time. We are on the lower Level C rather than B this year because we wanted to be sure to get 2 sites together. Level B is a first-come, first-serve area and it is a good thing we didn’t count on squeezing in there. All sites up there were full when we arrived. We are very happy with the sites we booked online.

And these ran behind our site
Maybe it is a new Quail Run
Bill had his shower and I sat outside with Clemson for a while before I made us an omelette for breakfast. After dishes, he went outside to work on our transfer switch. Do you remember when we arrived at Sundance on Feb. 1st that we had a problem switching from solar to electric? We had to either use just solar or keep our inverter on while plugged in so the batteries were keeping a continual charge.

Last night, Bill and I decided that for our time here, we’d switch some of the wires (he knew what needed to be done) so we could use full electric including the fire place. After all, it is included in the $14/night here, we may as well use it. When that turned out to be a bigger challenge (for one reason or another) we once again decided to leave things the way they are. When we leave here, he would have to change them back so we could use our solar for travelling. (our fridge)

Lion's Beach - where we are camped
Staghorn cactus, just past the blooming stage
Bottom right - coyote gourds still on the vine
He came inside to turn the inverter on and realized that all of a sudden, the transfer switch was working! Well, he obviously jiggled, tightened or moved something while in the compartment. Yay! Now we can at least save on propane while here and take advantage of the conveniences offered. That made us both happy.

Selfies first thing this morning
Pat and I went for a nice long walk down to the water snapping photos of things along the way. I’d only taken my zoom lens and so had she so when we found a nice area of rocks, perfect for a selfie, I had to be far enough away to make the picture turn out. What a hoot! I got more exercise running back and forth across the sand to sit beside her in the countdown seconds of the timer. She posed and laughed, I ran back and forth. It was fun and I only hope someone else didn’t see!

Turning the camera every which way on rocks, in between rocks
Pat posed for test shots
The rest of the day was spent at our own sites, sitting/laying in the sun, eating lunch (Bill had the sandwiches left over from yesterday’s drive and I fried up my pizza), reading and Bill recharging his plane and our lawn mower battery. This is something he takes care of a few times over the winter. At 3 we invited Rob and Pat to join us for Happy Hour. The winds had once again picked up but it was still a beautiful day in the mid 70’s.

These were my attempts - LOL
You can't hear my breathing from running
but there were a lot of 'near misses'

We said goodbye and Bill and I took Clemson for a walk down to the beach. Blowing us away, Clemson walked out into the water with Bill. The little bum! He has for years led us to believe that he is afraid of water. Ha ha, too funny. He didn’t stay in it long before turning around back onto the sand. It was, after all, only around 55F. We headed the uphill climb towards our site and I sat and finished my Sandra Brown book. ‘The Deadline’ is a good one if you haven’t read it.

And finally, we got it!
For supper, I had 2 chicken thighs out. Bone in and with the skin on. We happen to like the skin when it is barbecued and love the good fat it offers. While Bill grilled it outside on Weber, he turned the tv on in the basement and watched the first episode of American Idol. Inside, I prepared our caesar salad (as easy as opening a bag and the small packets included). The chicken took longer than we expected so it needed to be popped back on to make sure it was fully cooked through.

This family enjoying a beautiful afternoon
Walking down to the beach
That kind of takes away from the whole meal, when you have to recook something but it tasted pretty good at the end of it all. We cleaned up dishes and watched the rest of the program inside. We may share a cherry pie or share some Jell-o for dessert but at this stage, we haven’t decided.

Water Dad?

Sure!, I'll get my feet wet

Okay, enough of that, Lets go!
This was a wonderful peaceful day. We all said ‘this is quietest place we have stayed at all winter’. No traffic, no 4-wheelers, no trains, no planes and no loud neighbours. I think we’re all happy to be here. 

Good night!
Thank YOU for being HERE!

16 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the peace and quiet? I like no neighbors, just the sounds of the desert. Clemson is showing his age .... he forgot he was scared of the water! LOL GREAT picture of you two by the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very peaceful here and we do have neighbours all around us! Just not too close. :)
      Yes, Clemson has forgot his fear. haha

      Delete
  2. You are right sis, this looks like a beautiful spot. I love the idea of walking down along the water and the no noisy neighbours sounds wonderful! Beautiful shot of you and Pat on the rock by the lake. Try and try again ....I guess that motto paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No grass, no trees yet still beautiful. :D
      Thanks, it took a lot of tries but I got my exercise and we finally got a nice one.

      Delete
  3. It is a wonderful place to visit and love all the quails running around the area, Glad you had nice weather and a great day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place to be right now before heading for the cooler areas.
      We are all loving it.

      Delete
  4. I miss the water when we are south for the winter, it sounds like you are in a really nice place ... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we are enjoying it here. The water is such a bonus!

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures Patsy! Your selfies story had me grinning :) Good pics of you and Pat! Bill and Clemson are pretty cute too! What great weather you are enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have fun with the camera. We were laughing so hard! I told her she couldn't film me while I was running.

      Delete
  6. I'm lol at you and Pat, friends are the best.
    Been reading your blog for over a year (nightly ritual) love it.

    Cheryl from North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. How nice of you to comment. Pat and I do have fun when we get into our silly moods especially. Our route home takes us through N.C. this year for a night near Ashville. Bill has a plane to pick up. :)

      Delete
  7. I love those quails. The males really strut their stuff!
    Looks like you've found a great spot to spend some time. Take advantage of that power!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quails are my favourite! Some are so fat and others so thin.
      We are loving this park and the lake views.
      The free power now is GREAT!

      Delete
  8. A wonderful park. We enjoyed our time there last year. Lots of quail and roadrunners in the park. Love the selfies with Pat, lovely feet in that one photo. Haha I would keep an eye on the power situation with the fridge, if a bump made it work, a bump can make it 'un work' if you know what I mean. Keep on having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. No roadrunners that we've seen but the quail are plentiful! Love them!
      Pat and I have fun.
      The inverter will be on when we travel so no worries there for the fridge, but yes, a bump can make it go screwy again before we get to our next destination. :)

      Delete