Friday, March 15, 2019

To Market To Market To Fill up our Suite


Bill and I woke up basically at the same time on Friday, Mar. 15th. Hey, isn’t today the Ides of March? Why, yes, yes, it is. A bit of history for you buffs. In 44 BC, Julius Caesar was assassinated by Brutus and 60 of his closest friends (senators). Hmmm. They thought he had the potential to become a dictator. The well-known phrase “Et tu, Brute?” (You too, Brutus?) became common in famous Shakespeare phrases. Quoted just as he sees his BFF about to stab him. Crazy Romans!

A beautiful morning
On to today, your question should be what IS the meaning of the Ides of March. Ides means ‘to divide’ aka ‘bisects’ a month in the Roman calendar, hence landing every year on March 15th. It was also marked in ancient times as the first full moon of the year. There, now you can move on with a bit more knowledge than maybe you woke up with.

Lake Granbury, I assume
We were up at 7:15 and I chickened out of my walk when I felt the cool 44F air. Wimp! you say. Well, I guess so but I’ve been spoiled with temperatures above 50 for the last few mornings and seemed to feel the chill in my bones this morning. After Bill and I had some toast at 8, all 4 of us hopped into Black Beauty at 9 and Bill drove to Granbury. Our first time.

So, we made it to H-E-B
It is only 20 minutes away and quite a decent sized town. We’ve noticed how spread out the towns are down here with most businesses tentacled off the main highway. If you’re looking for a particular venue, just keep driving and you’ll find it. We were headed to the grocery store H-E-B, which Rob and Pat talked about. We each had a list of food items to restock our units with and set about crossing things off those lists.

Back in the truck within the hour, Bill topped up with diesel for a nice price of $2.56/gal. We were home just before the noon hour and I fried up bacon and eggs for lunch with a coffee for each of us. It is good to see the fridge, freezer and cupboards stocked up again. We don’t do ‘big’ shoppings now, like we did at the beginning of the season, just picking up what we need as we go, basically.

Breakfast for lunch
I began today’s post here on Word and then walked back to work on the puzzle. We have a few dog treats that Clemson doesn’t like so I took those and my folding broom to the ‘free’ table. I bought a new broom today to replace it and won’t have to deal with the collapsing handle anymore. I was alone for about 20 minutes before the regulars came in to play pool and the ladies came in to play cards at 2.

Rob and Bill shudder at this dirty Jeep that pulled in beside us
My little brother will see nothing wrong :)
After an hour or so, Pat joined me and together we got it 95% finished by the time she left. The pieces are all shaped the same and fit in many places but I was determined to get it right and done! I had to use the flashlight on my phone to see the blue section clearer. With one piece missing I soon conquered! 

It was a good puzzle to work on
I guess I’ll have to start a new one tomorrow. When I walked back home at 4:15 Bill informed me that he and Clemson had just returned from a nice long walk around the park and along the river. I’m glad they got out together.
The top left corner was one of the biggest challenges
If you look closely, you can see teeny black hydro lines
best visible with a flashlight shone directly on it
I had pulled rhubarb from home out of the freezer to make a dessert so set about doing that. Now to dig out a recipe. The one I found was for Rhubarb Cheesecake. Using up the last 2 packages of cream cheese, I added it to the next grocery list. I’m keen on picking up more at Sam’s Club where you can buy 6 pkg. altogether. I use enough of it and like to keep it on hand for these last-minute decisions. Wish me luck with tonight’s dessert!

The Brussel sprout were a real treat

At 6, Bill lit the Weber and began grilling two chicken thighs while the cheesecake was in the convection oven. We had veggies on the side tonight. Bill had corn and I had Brussel sprouts. Oh my, they were good! It was a nice change from a salad. After dishes, I took Clemson for a short walk and then Bill and I went along the river. It was nice to finally walk the park with my sweetie.

And the sun begins its descent
The day after we arrived here, I took a picture of a man fishing out here
he was standing on a point of this 'sandbar' that is currently under water
When we returned, the dessert had cooled and we watched some of our recorded episodes from early in the week. We had a piece of cake and settled for the evening. Even though it tasted good, I needed to cool it longer as that would improve the result. This was a great day although it never got above 60F. We are in for a few cooler days before more warmth returns.

And good night from Tres Rios!

Thank you for your visit.

14 comments:

  1. All that dirt means you’ve been somewhere!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have some Down Time relaxing.
    That would be a challenging puzzle.
    Good Pictures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have the relaxing days along with the busier ones.
      I was addicted and HAD to finish that puzzle!
      Thanks guys!

      Delete
  3. Love that H.E.B. lots neat products.
    I dirty Jeep tells me they have been having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We basically got our groceries and then I wandered in the store a bit. A lot like a Walmart to us. Some good prices otherwise what we've found at Fry's. :)

      Delete
  4. Your bbq'd chicken thighs look yummy....I'll be happy when the weather warms up enough for us to pull out the Weber! We got snow overnight....enough to cover the ground again. Sunshine is predicted for the next 4 days with Temps rising to +6 as the week progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting as the weeks progress what the Ridge looks like if you have had grass. The chicken was perfect, after all my questions to you. :)
      I hope your weatherman is right!

      Delete
  5. I have to admit whenever we see the dirty vehicles like the Jeep, we'll always say they must have been out having fun somewhere! haha. We've been to HEB several times when we travel, gotta love that store! I'm thinking i'd have given up on that puzzle, but glad you enjoy it! Dinner looks yummy too! Wonderful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true!
      Maybe on my own I would poke around HEB more but not when I'm grocery shopping. :) I'm sure we'll be back in our years of travel.
      I hate a jigsaw to get the better of me!

      Delete
  6. My only thought about the Ides of March is where I'm going to buy my corned beef. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting new supermarkets is kind of an adventure too. You never know what you might find. (Being disappointed of not getting what you want is part of it, I guess)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like shopping down here in their different grocery stores. Hard to find some things, like canned mushrooms always seem to be hidden on an upper or lower shelf. We always have to ask! haha
      I don't think I've been disappointed in any yet.

      Delete