Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Busy Morning, Grateful for the Winds, Shopping in Hanover


The Ridge
On Tuesday, July 16th I woke up in the wee hours at 4 am. Bill wasn’t in bed beside me but I found him sleeping in his recliner downstairs in the dark. He must have woken up at some point and couldn’t drop off again. The recliner puts him in a different position and voila! I didn’t disturb him but used the facilities and went back to bed. I heard him not too long after joining me and we slept until 6:15.

Such a beautiful sunrise as I headed out for my walk
He made his coffee, prepped my tea for me and I headed out for my walk. What a lovely morning. Recalling Jo-Anne’s fast steps, I stepped my own up a notch for a while. Eventually slowing to my more comfortable pace so I could look across the fields for deer and whatever else might catch my eye. I’m in no hurry, walking not to push my heartrate up but to keep my legs active.

And the sky on my walk gave me lots to stop and admire
When I returned, Bill was already digging from the lane as far as the cargo trailer before having to stop and move it. I made my tea and sat down watching him. I felt guilty just sitting but he pshawed that and was happy for the company. After making him another coffee, I thought I should get to work too. I changed into a lighter top and long pants before getting my weed eater out. Bill helped to jump start it, it’s been a while since it has run.
And for you pond people

I trimmed around my flower garden and the Bunky’s west side before heading along the fence line and down Corral Hill. Eventually, ending up in the corral and cleaning the small rocky hill and areas that a mower can’t cover. Bill had moved his cargo trailer with Ptooties and I meant to get a picture of her first ‘haul’ but didn’t. He hopped on his rider and cut where the trailer sat and then into the corral so it was done up nicely.

Bill was making good progress to the cargo trailer
Our apple tree at the road was going to produce fruit this year again!
Last year was a wash out so hopefully the birds leave it alone!
It was hot yet it was just barely 8 when I started. Good thing for the stronger wind today, it felt wonderful as we worked. I finished in an hour and talk about a heartrate boost! I had to sit and cool down for 10 minutes, unable to work in that heat for very long. It looks 100% better and won’t need to be trimmed up there for a week or two at least. I came inside, got some water and had my shower. Now, that feels wonderful too!

First stop
Bill had eaten some toast, I had some yogourt at 9:30 and he had his shower when he finished digging. Not much left to do now! Around 12 noon we drove to Hanover to buy some watch batteries. Bill’s Dad had quite a few good watches that needed batteries and/or new bands so Bill chose two or three that he wanted to keep and wear. At Walmart, one Everready battery was $5 + and at Dollarama you could buy 5 Sunbeam batteries for $1.25. It’s a no-brainer, right?

Oh yes, Bill ran in here to pick up his light

We went to Healthy Computers to see if they had Bill’s computer battery on file from his last replacement 2 years ago but no specifics were recorded. We forgot to bring it. He needs a new laptop but we’ve decided again to cripple along with it until next year when we can afford a new one for him. Next time that we are going that way, we’ll take it along (if we remember) and get one ordered. Then a stop at Home Hardware for a light for the Hangar.

Next in line for the car wash
Remember we don't have running water on the Ridge

Last stop for pictures
From there, we filled Ptooties and gave her a Premium wash and then went to Shopper’s Drug Mart to the photo kiosk to get some pictures of Mom and Smitty printed. Smitty, her Airforce buddy, is 94 and has never caught up with the modern technologies of computers, email or digital photos so I’m sending them out to her in B.C. She will enjoy them for sure. Then we came home.

The sky was quite dark at times
I was hungry, had to use the bathroom and was feeling tired. We’d both been on the go since 6:30. The winds had increased and the clouds have filled the sky. We were still unplugged from power and our batteries were holding their own. I cut some cheddar, munched on walnuts and a few Doritos (10 to be exact) and ate one of my few remaining clementines. Bill joined me with a yogourt and some cheese and a few of his Lay’s potato chips.

More baling done today
Then, we rested. I wanted to start my next book so started out with that. It’s a John Sandford novel called Mind Prey. I need it to grab me right away to keep the sleepy eyes at bay.  Bill wasn’t ready to start on a new book yet after finishing Lee Child’s Die Trying so his foot rest went up and he dropped off. I’ve said this before but Bill is the hardest working man I’ve ever known and he deserves his afternoon snoozes.

My Shasta daisies are so pretty
When we got up, actually it was before we sat, he changed the batteries in his watches and then after we got up that I changed them in 3 of mine. The 4th was a challenge to get the back off so I’ll ask Bill to do it for me later. I walked down to get the mail, something else for Mom, and by the time I got down there, the farmer from the field across the road was just finishing up baling more round hay bales.

Busy downtown Durham - always
We waved and I scooted back just in time as the sprinkles were starting. After closing the screen door to the Suite, it became a little harder but still mostly just a misty sheet blowing across. Bill plugged us in around 4 and went down to install a ceiling light in the Hangar. Bit by bit, things are coming together. Tilapia loins and salad for supper tonight will be fairly easy.

Bill's  watches with new batteries but in need of a new band
 At 6, I cut the loins in half so we had 4 pieces about 3” long. They needed to fit in the Air Fryer. I sprinkled olive oil generously on the fish and dipped it in a homemade coating of bread crumbs and spices. For 25 minutes, 12 minutes per side they turned out great. With a garden salad on the side, supper was filling and delicious. We took care of dishes that had piled up throughout the day and Bill went to his Hangar and I sat with my blog. Wheel of Fortune was creating background noise.

Mine now have new batteries too
We didn’t get any more rain than that misty stuff which lasted about 10 minutes and blew off to the east. The wind died down considerably but the air still felt wonderful coming in the open windows. The days are coming up hot and humid and the nights are perfect for open windows and just a sheet covering us as we sleep. This was a great day and it has tired me out. I hope yours was just as good.

Supper was good
Good night from us at the Ridge
Thank you for your visit, come back soon!

6 comments:

  1. Your days are certainly full. Good you get a bit of down time together too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep up with Bill but we do have down time with each other at least. :)

      Delete
  2. I fighting the inclination to get an air fryer. As it is, my bread machine sits silently in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had never done home-coated fish in it so wanted to try it.

      Delete
  3. You both really had a busy day! I actually went in the spare room about 0300 this am, it was hot in our room and the other has a/c..slept good then! Your dinner looks yummy perfect for a warm evening! I love your 10 Doritos! Good for you. Definitely can't stop at just one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a busy day but we were happy to have things done.
      I love the Doritos too but have to stop at a point or I make a pig of myself. LOL

      Delete