Sunday, July 28, 2019

Laundromat Gets Cleaned, Mom Gets a Visit, The Ridge Gets a Few Light Showers, Game Night


The Ridge
On Saturday, July 27th we were both up around 6 and I got washed and ready to head into town early again. I left Bill making his coffee and arrived at the laundromat to find both doors propped open and someone inside with the dryer running. Good grief! I don't mind so much but overnight, flies and skitters get inside and I battle with them while cleaning. No one else arrived so I closed the doors until the inevitable automatic unlocking at 7.

Pop Goes the Sun
I think Jamie had been in since the garbage and recycling bags were removed and things looked fairly clean. I did a quick lint removal from the dryers, a wipe down of the washers, cleaned the bathroom, dust mopped and wet mopped. It seemed that I was making good time but it was still an hour. I guess that is my minimum for the job. Just before finishing with wet mopping, I texted Jamie to let him know I was in town and he would owe me for 9 hours.

Sparkling
After leaving there, I went to Foodland to pick up a couple of packs of cream cheese, on sale, and a bottle of Ketchup that I forgot yesterday. I hadn’t heard back from the boss so scooted home for my cuppa tea. Bill was in the Hangar and each time I walk in, there are new things finished. I love the propeller over the big doors. A nice touch. The sky was clouding over by this time which wasn’t surprising as we were forecast to get some.
Clouds moving in by 8 am
I read blogs from yesterday and since Jamie had responded, made arrangements to meet in town when I go in to visit Mom. Saves him a drive out here, which I know he doesn’t mind doing. Bill came up around 9 and I made him bacon and eggs for his breakfast. Too soon for me so instead I started today’s post. It was around 10:15 that I refried my quesadilla for my own breakfast and had a B.P. coffee with it.

Mom couldn't get over her 'old wrinkly hands' today
I told her that mine weren't much different for 30 years difference
I left for Durham at 10 to 11 and met Jamie at Rockwood before going inside. It was nice to see him and it just felt right that we gave each other a hug. Don’t tell the boss! Wait a minute, he IS the boss. They had a wonderful trip out to Manitoba and enjoyed some relaxing times even though it was a lot of driving. He asked about things back home here and we talked about plans for painting the Mat and some of his other ideas.

Mom and Me (No, it's Mom and I, she said)
He’s feeling that come August, he will be looking for some employment, already getting offers worth considering. I hope it all works out for him, anything to make life easier financially is good, we all know that. I went inside and found Mom down her usual hallway. Funny how when she doesn’t remember certain‘things’ that she knows that she walks at that time of day. I’m sure she didn’t know me but she was very complimentary of me in my dress and ‘white’ hair. 😊

We walked to the northeast hall and sat together, goofing around. I never know what she’ll come out with and don’t understand half of it but we just chatter away and enjoy each other. The time for special moments is dwindling, I can feel it, so I take pictures/selfies of us together. Looking back on them will give me peace when the time comes that I need it. Just this morning, I came across videos of Clemson running. I cried but they are worth millions to me.

The creek on Jamie and Cheryl's property
It was a good visit, and she accepted that I wasn’t staying for lunch. We said our multiple goodbyes and I slipped out of the dining area. I would have waved but another resident who lives down the hall from Mom stopped me and by the time I finished answering her questions, Mom wasn’t looking in the right direction to see me. I walked to Ptooties feeling a bit deflated, not realizing until then how much I love the ‘waves’.

It's an old trailer but provides a roof over their head
I scooted around town the back way, across Main St. to the bank and Liquor Store parking. I wanted to withdraw spending cash for Bill and I as well as my Ladyfest cash. Because I have to pay a few for any debit transactions out of my savings a/c, this is easier than first going through ‘our’ chequing and then transferring it.  I’m stepping back a decade to the time when I carried cash most often.

A deer blind on their property
yes, Jamie is a hunter

He's got some clean up to open up more of Bear Creek
but I love the old tree stumps
 Then I walked 3 doors down to the LCBO and picked up a bottle of Vodka and a couple of 0% sugar canned drinks to try. By the time I reached home, Bill was just finishing emptying the water bladder from a fill-up at the Acreage. We chatted a bit and I came inside and he went to the Hangar. Jamie had texted and invited us out to see his and Cheryl’s property just on the outskirts of Durham so we hopped in the SUV and went to find them. In the field.

Yes, they have a cute private spot off the beaten path, where they have a Terry trailer and a few ‘red neck’ amenities. The more I know of Jamie, the more I know he’d hit it off with my brother, Michael. Cheryl and their son, Aaron, arrived soon after and we had a great visit. Morgan was also present, Cheryl’s guide dog and what a beautiful dog he is. You know me with big dogs, but I know a kind one when I see it.

The deck goes right to the water
or you can put your chair right IN the water to cool off
It was 2 ½ hours later when we left for home. We really enjoyed the visit. The wind was strong, around 21 mph, and certainly welcome with this humidity. I’m surprised their little haven, where it was, got the winds too. Bill had closed windows first thing this morning and had the a/c set to come on at 75F so when we returned home, it had just come on to run through a cycle. It wasn’t enough to make it chilly, just enough to make it comfortable.

Okay, finally - you get to meet my boss, Jamie
Cheryl and her guide dog, Morgan
I made myself a creamy tea and Bill stretched out in his recliner. I knew that was coming and I even feel a little tired myself. Out the window, I noticed more of the pretty brown birds. I’ve tried capturing them a few times but I’m never fast enough. They really stand out against the greenery so I followed them from inside the Suite until I got a couple or three or four good pictures. Then I joined Bill in my recliner with my book.

This one is a James Patterson and it is called You’ve Been Warned. I’m pretty sure that Bill wasn’t the only one who dozed. Something about working early and visiting Mom tires me out. Oh, I think the heat from sitting outdoors had something to do with it too. 😊 That’s my excuse anyway. At 6 we hadn’t fully decided what to eat as we’d snacked on cheese and a fat bomb when we got home. Neither of us was too hungry.

Simple, filling and yummy supper tonight
woops, my wrap unwrapped
So, we agreed on a couple of things. I had leftover asparagus soup and I made myself a tomato, lettuce and cheese wrap. Bill opted for a toasted tomato sandwich. Works for me! We had dishes done by 6:30, that’s how easy it was for us. With a dish of custard each for dessert, we certainly weren’t going to starve! Bill went to the Hangar; a blog post is coming soon folks! Just watch for it in the next few days on On Our Way.

Mixed bag in the sky tonight
The sky blackened to the north
But we only got about 25 rain drops
I downloaded the day’s pictures and finished my post. At 6:45 Donna texted about playing a game tonight so we agreed on a time for them to come here. Yay! We haven’t done that for a while let alone with Donna and Gerry. It will be fun. They arrived before 8 and Bill and I had the game board all set up. Guys against the girls and I’m happy to say that us girls won the night. 6/9 games. We were going for best out of 11. We had a few drinks together and they left around 11.

We had fun playing Double Series on a night
when we couldn't be sure it wouldn't rain on a fire
The night was beautiful so we opened up windows and went out to show them the Hangar in the dark. Good thing we have motion sensor lights on the Suite, our Bunky and his Hangar. Gerry and Donna were impressed with Bill has done and especially with the brightness inside. He has lots of light for doing the miniscule plane stuff that is often required. We said goodnight and we were in bed by 11:30.

This was a great day ending with a wonderful evening with my sister and her husband. IWe sure didn't get the rain that we expected. A few light showers during the day but nothing to water the garden very much. I hope you enjoyed your day too.

There are a lot of Brown Birds around
I think this might be a baby
Then he found a hole in our rocky grass to have a sand bath treatment

Oh-oh, I think he spied me in the window

Oh, he definitely sees me

And this is what happens when you ogle someone having a bath
You get a tongue lashing
Good night!

Thanks for the visit!

8 comments:

  1. I hope Jamie gets along when you leave. The mat will never be the same without you. They have a very nice place. Looking forward to the hangar pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I asked who would do it after october and he said he would. I asked if he would hold the job for me and he said he wanted to ask me if I would consider doing it then too. :D Yay! Bill is feeling the pressure! haha

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see pictures of the hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another full day! The two of you sure keep busy. I think your brown bird is a brown thrasher but don't quote me as I'm not great with bird identification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually feel pretty lazy most days. haha
      Could be, it is such a pretty colour brown.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet Jamie and Cheryl. Cute place they have, I like the creek that would be nice. Love the pics of you and mom! Yes, you're right you will treasure these pictures, so keep snapping! :) Can't wait to see what you ladies have cooked up for Ladyfest this year! Very nice you had Donna and Gerry over for drinks and games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie and Cheryl are very nice and we hit it off from Day one. They have a very nice little spot. I like the water access.
      Pictures of Mom and I are a regular thing now because it always makes her smile and often laugh. :) You'll soon find out about Ladyfest!
      We enjoyed the game as we haven't done that for a while with them.

      Delete