Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Apple Picking on a Fall-Like Day, Sewing and Baking


The Ridge
Wednesday, Sept. 4th we slept in until 7:30 and apparently, we weren’t missing anything. Outside, the sky was cloudy, rainy and the winds started as a duplicate of yesterdays. It was 67F inside the Suite so it couldn’t have been too cool outside. Bottom line is that it was not a nice morning for a walk so we had our tea and coffee together and read blogs.

A blurry selfie, picking apples
Bill got cleaned up and drove into Durham to get his license and health card renewed as well as Black Beauty’s plate sticker. I was good for another 3 years and Ptooties was set until next September. While he was gone, I risked getting wet and took a bag down to the ‘end of lane’ apple tree. The apples are ripening slowly but they are taunting me. “Pick me, pick me” so I also grabbed Bill’s step ladder and carried it down. I wanted to get those higher ones too.

And then I sat and took a rest before
lugging everything back up the lane
This is 20 lb. of apples
There are low branches that are in Bill’s way when he cuts there so I wanted to get those apples off for sure. We’ll be able to trim the branches now. I picked a lot of apples and didn’t even worry about whether they were red or green. They were a nice size and would make some lovely pies and crisps. I hadn’t anticipated how heavy both the ladder and the large bag of apples would be for me walking back up the lane so I had to make two trips.

You can see the low hanging branches that we need to trim
Bill arrived home around 9:30 and I began frying Greek yogourt pancakes. They were supposed to be keto but I only had coconut flour and I don’t like them that way. So, I used regular bleached flour. After all it is only ½ cup, how bad can it be? Breakfast was good and a nice change. I even tried some of the first jelly and that was a nice flavor too. We took care of dishes and I mixed up some raspberry sugar-free Jell-o.

Tomorrow, I'll blend the cream cheese and heavy cream
Then, I made up a batch of Keto custard and cooked it for a quick 9 minutes in Madame IP. The apples will wait until tomorrow or Friday. Bill and I had planned on sewing 3 more wing covers for his planes, leaving only one difficult one to do. So, I got my machine out and we set to work. There was one challenging one but with our two heads together, we figured it out. That makes 4 plane's wings that will be covered for safe travels in the cargo trailer when he goes flying.

breakfast
I sewed handles on by machine and Bill punched dome (snaps) fasteners to close the ends. They all look so good! It was probably 3 hours of working inside while the clouds rolled overhead. No sun for the most part but no more rain either. The winds had died off a bit from yesterday and the temperature hovered around 60F so not an overly warm day. Marilynne called to set up a day when we could visit her in Fort Erie. Mark that on our calendar and the month of September is filling up.

3 wing bags completed
When we finished sewing around 3:30, I poured myself a diet Sprite and we each had a snack with cheese. Then at 4 o’clock, the sun made an appearance. I caught up on my post and took a walk down the lane to see if there was any mail. Just flyers awaited me but that’s okay, the exercise was good. The fall weather seemed to be upon us today. When in the shade, I felt cool and when the sun was on my face, the warmth spread through me.

The sky was breaking up a bit in the later afternoon
Pond reflections
I pulled the last of the dutch onions and actually picked one more green pepper. It was tucked in behind the leaves of the plant and it is a nice size. Inside, Bill and I sat together and I filled in a few words on the crossword from the paper. I’ll work at it over the next couple of days. For supper, we had leftovers, cleaning up the fridge to make room for the custard and syrup. My jelly didn’t set so a treat for ice cream it is!

Chilly in the shade
and when the sun came out, I was warmed instantly
We had rewarmed hamburger stew, corn on the cob, coleslaw and I had a tomato from the garden while Bill had rye toast. It was a filling meal and later on we had a dish of custard. Yummy. With dishes done, we relaxed for the evening. 


The sky did the same thing as last night, although with a clearer sky. Julie on CTV News said that it would be clear and cold overnight. No worries, our windows will not be open tonight.

Kind of a mixed bag for supper but all cleaned up
And we had custard for dessert
For some reason, my jelly didn't set this time
but it still tastes good
This was a busy day for both of us and we accomplished quite a bit from beginning to end. I like days like this!

And another beautiful night's sky
Good night y'all!
Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are always appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Always something to do enjoying the fresh fall air and more apples to keep you busy, the wing covers look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wing covers turned out really well. We work well together!

      Delete
  2. Weird your jelly didn't set up. It makes great syrup though. You look cold .. what's with the weather? Is it time to head south??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird about the jelly when the first batch worked perfectly. LOL
      I know! It was chilly in the shade! Almost south time!

      Delete
  3. Another enjoyable and productive day! The pond looks a little empty, though I suspect the geese haven't flown south yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. The geese have been gone for a few weeks but they returned a few days ago to say hello. :)

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like free organic food! We have our eye on a couple of apple trees we see when we go to Prescott....should be ripe soon. Good job on the wing covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a ladder with you and grab those apples once they are ripe! :)
      Thank you, the wing covers turned out great!

      Delete