Sunday, September 22, 2019

Cleaning day and Company Arrives before Noon


The Ridge
We got up around 7 on Saturday Sept. 21st and I headed out right away for Durham. Time to clean! The Mat wasn’t too bad and I was in and out in less than an hour. An irate customer came in just as I was locking things up in the back room. One who’s second or first (?) language is swearing, loudly at the machines (!), so I remained where I was debating whether to go out. Did I need a confrontation?

Such a beautiful sunrise this morning as I left for wor

When I finally did go out, since I was almost on the way out the door and didn’t want him to break anything, he stopped the bad language and said it was all fine now, “I always get ripped off in here”, he informed me. If he’d been decent and open to normal conversation, I may have offered somewhat of a refund but I’m sure he just dropped coin in and paid no attention to it hitting the box before dropping more in. Who knows how much he actually paid?


Thank you dear! so much better!
I left and texted Jamie to have a peek on his home camera and to keep an eye. Back home, Bill was in the storage shed working on the wood for our carrier to hold the generator. It should be all set to go now. I came in for my tea and smiled to see that Bill had vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom for me. Saves me the trouble and I sure appreciate him. 😊 I suggested that he have a bite to eat around 9 as we’re having lunch with our company. I won’t need anything before then.

Bill got the generator on the new carrier
 We had our showers and I mixed up some dessert topping from a package I’ve had in the cupboard for years! Amazingly, it firmed up perfectly. That will go nicely on our pecan pie. (Not homemade ) Then I wrapped the garlic bread and the pie in tin foil for Weber warming just before supper time. Bill attached the genny carrier to the back of the Suite and placed the Champion on it. Looks good and with chains, it will ride very nicely back there and save us truck space at the same time. Thanks to Rob for building it for us!


Perfect! And it doesn't have to be lifted off to use it
Then Bill, at my wish, cut the grass up in our area with the big rider. Looks 100% better and we will be sitting out there all day and evening so it was worth the trouble. Inside, I prepped meats, lettuce, tomatoes and buns for lunch. By the way, my jelly still doesn’t seem to be setting but it hasn’t been 24 hours yet either. I’m not very hopeful. Everything is ready and we relaxed until Jeff and Joan arrived. They pulled in at 11:05. I know that exact time because Jeff asked how long it took them.

When I say 'big dog', I'm not kidding
But there's no denying that Aurora is a beautiful dog
The greeting is always a little unnerving but on Jeff’s terms simply because Aurora, their great dane, is a large dog. He wants her to greet us right away and we give her treats. I understand it but it doesn’t stop my heart from racing. Big dogs are intimidating to me, something I deal with in my own way. We sat and enjoyed the first catch up conversation at the patio table until I called them in for lunch. I had everything set up on the island and they helped themselves before going back outside to eat at the table.


Lunch is ready!
Because of Aurora on just a leash, they had to take turns coming in and out. The rest of the afternoon was very relaxing for Joan and I, sitting up here with the dog. Bill and Jeff went down to the Hangar and fiddled around with his Telemaster. Jeff is an avid rc flyer and 80% of the conversation is regarding planes. I’m not into it the way Joan is so a lot goes over my head. As long as they are happy, I’m happy.

It took a while but she soon settled down on her blanket

And Chippy was up to his old tricks

I didn't mind since most of the birds have vanished
Jeff and Aurora
Joan and Aurora
PS - Joan used to be a redhead but I like the blonde so much better
At 4:30 I removed myself from the group and came inside to start making lasagna. From beginning to end, sautéing the ground beef, preparing the meat sauce, cheese and pasta layers, cooking and release time, the lasagna took a mere hour. That is awesome! 

While the lasagna cooked, I sat outside in the shade with everyone
I called them in around 5:45 to first eat our salad and warm bread that Bill heated on the Weber. Then I served up their entrees. This was a good way to do it with the limited table space and I’ll remember it for another time.

Looks wonderful and it was but getting it out of the pan
was messy
The lasagna was absolutely delicious BUT the presentation – not so much. If I had used less pasta sauce it would have been drier but I prefer less noodles anyway so for me it was perfect. I added the main course dishes to the dishwasher which already had lunch plates etc. and then cut the pecan pie, also warmed on the Weber, and served it with whipped cream. Oh my! A very sweet pie but with small slices and some topping, quite yummy. I’m not sure if we deserve such a treat! 😉

Let's eat!
Oh my, this was delicious

We love our dishwasher. It holds a lot of dishes, takes little water
and does an amazing job
Plus we don't have to leave our company to do them ourselves
After supper, as I finished cleaning up and changing out of my summer dress into capris and a top, Bill got his small Timber out to show Jeff and Joan how it flew and specially to show off his wing lights. They were both impressed and got a kick out of Bill’s flight. I got a kick out of watching Jeff run around with his camera trying to find the plane in the sky to get a picture of it.

Getting ready for a flight
Jeff tried his darnedest to get a picture
And she flew like a charm
And a perfect lighted landing
When they had that put away and the Hangar closed up, Bill started a fire in our pit. Jeff and Joan live in a basement apartment in Mississauga so haven’t sat around a campfire since the last time they visited in 2017. They enjoyed it and it was the perfect evening for one. No bugs, mosquitoes and very little wind for the most part. Aurora wasn’t keen on the heat so stretched out on the grass between Jeff and I as far away as her leash would allow. It was a clear night too so we all watched the jets fly over and the sky as it filled with brilliant stars.

After the flight, the sky was pretty
To top it off, there was an ISS sighting tonight and they had never seen that either. There were two satellites that zoomed across the sky as well so that was kind of cool. The winds picked up around 9:30 and by then I was pretty much ready to come in anyway. Aurora had fallen asleep on her blanket so she was ready for bed. We said our goodnights and called it a night. They settled in the Bunky with the outside doors and windows open to the fresh air. Bill and I came in and did a bit of reading but were too sleepy to keep our eyes open for long.

Perfect fire evening
While cooking this afternoon, it got very warm inside the Suite so despite the lovely breeze outside, I closed windows and turned the a/c on until after supper. For bed, we had all windows open and sure didn’t need more than a sheet and light covering for sleeping. This was a very good day. I was pleased how Aurora seems calmer than the last visit and I guess that makes sense since it was two years ago.

And a pretty picture of the Suite at dusk
I didn’t feel as ‘afraid’ of her but because she is deaf (sorry, I forgot to tell you that) movements tend to frighten her into loud barking. At least now I know that if I just walk up to her with my hand out, she calms down. She seems somewhat shy around people as when I reached to touch her head, she shied away. I would have liked to be able to make that connection. They have done well in training her to this stage. She is a senior now, already, great danes at 5 maturing much faster than other breeds.


I hope you had a good day on Saturday as well and forgive the late posting. We’ve been busy entertaining.

Aurora preferred the cooler grass to a warm blanket like Clemson would have

Thank you for your visit today!

9 comments:

  1. When we were st the LCBO today we saw a Dane with it's head out the sunroof watching the doors intently. At first glance in the rear view mirror I thought it was a Goat, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! Seems like you had perfect weather for sitting and enjoying each other's company! Dinner looks awesome, I don't care if it didn't come out of the pan perfectly, the lasagna looks amazing! I'm hungry now! Aurora is beautiful but I can see how until you know her she could be intimidating! Love the video of Bill's plane flying. A fire is always nice to end the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always pre-worry about their visit because of Aurora but it turned out pretty good. :)
      The lasagna was good so poo poo to presentation, right? haha
      Bill's little plane flew very well and it was the perfect night for a fire.

      Delete
  3. Another fun day with your company catching up. On another day of perfect weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looked like a delicious dinner!! Your pie looked MUCH better than the one I had. Yup Aurora is huge. It's funny how they put a blanket down and she lays on the grass instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit the lasagna although messy was very tasty.
      Sadly that pie is YUMMY! Because now we have to eat it all!!
      The blanket was too warm for her, I guess, we try to baby but they have their own ideas.

      Delete
  5. The Lasagna looks tasty.
    If you leave the Generator on the back of the Trailer you will have move the License Plate to a more visible spot. Also make certain the Exhaust will not warp the back of the Suite.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your upcoming trip.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete