Friday, November 8, 2019

Shaky Start, Cloud Cover for the Drive, ‘Family’ Campground


RV Park, St. Bernard, Louisiana 
On Friday, November 8th we were awake early. We were in bed last night again before 9! Reading was just putting us to sleep so I read in bed for half hour saying “I can’t go to bed at 8!” Bill woke up at 2:30 am with a dizzy sensation and yet it seemed to have subsided by 6 when we got up. We had our morning brew and when I went to get the cereal out of the hutch cupboard, those miserable (well, they were likely happy) ants were all over the shelf!

In the morning, 8:07 (new time change, darn it!) we were alone
in the lot - almost
Good grief, we scrambled. Bill doesn’t have much of the killer spray left but used what he could and sprayed it on a cloth and wiped while I wiped the counter with vinegar. They don’t like that either! The Good Guys won that battle too. We think they’ve joined us either from The Ridge, hitching a free ride or from Unadilla, GA. Where we’re headed today, we are staying for a week so it will give me time to empty and wash down a few areas.

good bye Florida, Hello Sweet Home Alabama
The weather changed overnight with the rain and storm so it was breathable this morning. Only 61F and dropping. After the ant fiasco, Bill felt dizzy again so he drank some water and had a couple of C.B. biscuits with jam for the sugar fix. He dozed while I walked over to inform J & B of Bill’s state and that we had no need to rush. Soon after, Bill got up and we walked around the lot a bit for some fresh air. Feeling better, he told our friends that we could pack up.

With my smart, quick hubby at the Narrative Wheel, I present
the USS Alabama stationed at USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park
Jo-Anne has a blood pressure monitor and checked Bill’s bp but it was as good as it always is so that’s good. We were packed up and back on I-10W by 8:45 with Bob & Jo-Anne on our heels. We only have a short drive today, about 3 hours to a park in St. Bernard, LA. So, the drive was uneventful, stopping once at a TA station in Grand Bay, Alabama to top up our fuel tanks. The young fellow working there needs to be a Walmart greeter, he gave us all a chuckle upon entering the building. Well, no, he's better than Walmart greeter status. We loved him.

The Museum/Park would be very interesting
One thing about the prices of fuel on this journey; they need to improve. No sooner did we think that, and they did. We’d crossed into M-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-I (can’t help it, folks!) and then over the Tchoutacabouffa River,(isn't that a fun name?) which is actually only a ‘stream’. It runs north of Biloxi, 31 miles long with its mouth at the Gulf of Mexico. There’s your trivia for the day. Entering Louisiana, the gas/diesel prices were a nice improvement. At least 20¢ cheaper per gallon and as much as 40¢ in St. Bernard where we've stopped.



The park Bill found on line is not a ***** (5 star), not even a ***(3 star) but you know what? It is only a few miles/minutes from New Orleans, a very reasonable $125/week and it has the full hookups we were looking for. That is all we wanted and if we can save money on camping, we’re all for it. Donna, the host is a very pleasant and accommodating lady. We were both set up by 1pm. The name of the park, I know you’re waiting, is Richard’s RV Park. 😊 No deal for 'distant' family though. Ha ha

A cute big fat water tower
and if you can read it, a sign that I liked
Bill was feeling much better and although the headache dissipated throughout the morning, it returned by the time we were set up. We were both (all) hungry as breakfast was minor so I heated some brown beans on toast for Bill and had my leftover omelette with some beans myself. I was getting a hunger headache too. That little lunch hit the spot. Bill was still sleeping upstairs, when I returned with Jo-Anne from paying our bill (cash or cheque), so I read my book and dozed a bit myself.

Top - entrance to Mississippi and Welcome Centre
Bottom - Tchoutacabouffa River (stream)

We had 4 groupings of 3 vehicles like this pass us
Could be a number of explanations, I suppose
We got some great suggestions from Donna for visiting downtown New Orleans. The popular spots were on the tip of her tongue so I jotted them in my Samsung notes. A suggestion by Gayle and Rob were top of her list. It wasn’t outside kind of weather, although not raining and 57F, so we stayed inside doing our own thing. We had all agreed that we needn’t go anywhere today so the rest of the afternoon was snoozing, reading and just relaxing.

Biloxi - love saying that!
Pretty yellow Factory outlets - ooh shopping
Louisiana
Around 4 or so, I went out for a walk to take a few pictures of the park, the trees and our sites. It sure felt chilly after the heat we experienced yesterday but I was bundled for it and the fresh air was still quite nice. 

Nearing our destination and crossing a huge body of water
of which we had a hard time finding the name
The Gulf of Mexico is off, way off in the distance
I saw this guy coming, so aimed my camera at my side window
and caught him!
Back inside, I read a bit more while Bill dabbled on his laptop. At 5:30, we both agreed to start supper which was an easy, peasy endeavor. All I had to do was warm up the dish of chili that was in the fridge. I made toast for mine and Bill had his in a bowl, having had enough bread today already.

Our home for the week

Mostly refinery workers are camped here so likely seasonal
This isn't very clear but it is from the back of the park looking to the front where we are
Now this is a funny looking unit but I suppose it works for him!
Chili on toast
It was quite good and filling and we cleaned up those dishes. We waited half hour before warming up the Ridge apple crisp that I’d made before we left home. Bill isn’t crazy about the taste of these apples but we warmed it up and added some whipped cream to spice it up, well, to cream it up and that made a difference. The rest of the night was about as lazy as our afternoon, listening to our 60’s on 6 XM Sirius radio. There’s something about being able to sing or hum along to every song.

Dessert is served
The last of the apple crisp
Good night y'all from St. Bernard, LA
This was a good day to move further west and reach a destination near a ‘hot spot’ that was on our bucket list. We’ll wait until Monday though to venture into that excitement. I hope you had a good day too!

Thank you for your visit even though we’re not sure where you’re parked. 😊

16 comments:

  1. New Orleans was definitely one of our good memories, just don't stay on Bourboun Street late at night ... we left at 10:00 p.m. mid week and it was getting a little scary. Cinnamon also works well to deter ants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking forward to the experience and have been 'warned' not to go to Bourbon St. late. Thank you.
      Cinnamon and you just reminded me of cayenne pepper which we used at our house.

      Delete
  2. The cars being towed may be salvage or auction rigs being taken to Mexico. I would see a lot of these when I was working in S Texas especially after a hurricane or flooding in the US. They would be cleaned up in Mexico then sold there or in the US. Really had to be careful buying a used rig down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cars didn't look to be in bad shape at all so we wondered about an auction as well.

      Delete
  3. We picked up some ants in Texas last year. Not fun to get rid of. We went to a local hardware store and bought some pretty potent spray that did the trick.
    Lake Ponchatrain is the lake you crossed on that bridge. It's a fun drive but not so much when the wind is blowing across it. They often restrict high profile vehicles on windy days.
    We saw those car trains a lot down there. I think they are auction cars. People buy two or three cheap then take them home to fix up and sell.....I assume.
    Hope Bill is feeling better. You need to be on top of your game when towing. Sounds like you are staying put for a few days. Enjoy N'Orleans. One of our favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake Ponchatrain! That's it! I had to look on Google maps to find it. Thank you. Unless I write the names down in my notes when we are crossing, I can't remember it. LOL We didn't see a sign on either end of the bridge.
      Bill is coming along much better although this morning he says he doesn't want to move too quickly. So, I'm glad we're here for a bit.
      N.O. should be fun! I'm looking forward to the French Market and Cafe du Monde.

      Delete
  4. The second worse ant problem we ever had was when we were in Georgia. I have never used the Terro ant baits before, but after our last bout with them, we decided to try them. I put them in areas where we've seen ants in the past. We've had them in place for about 5-7 days now and I've not seen an ant. After your comment yesterday or the day before, I decided to check these out to see if there was any sign of them. In one trap there were several dead ants in it. The other location did not have any. They are supposed to eat it and take it back to their "home", so I hope it is doing it's trick. I can only say I have not seen an ant since then.
    We loved N.O. although we did not like the traffic at all. We visited two days, and the second day we took the hop on, hop off bus (it's kind of expensive) but it was nice to see all of the best sites in the city without the hassle of driving a dually truck on their narrow roads. We chose to get off only at the French Market to visit Cafe du Monde. It was a beautiful area. Enjoy your time there.
    Loved the Veteran Day sign!!
    You are retracing near our stops (backwards from us) on our trip from last spring. Richard's RV Park - how perfect for you! We have no problem staying in these parks at all and when we are traveling on our own that is what we do. We are there to explore the area and if they offer what we need, why not?
    Enjoy your week there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information. We have some kind of ant bait placed in a couple of spots but never know if they are working.
      We've read about the hop off and on bus and will likely do that on Monday. We still have to drive to the area and park though so will figure it out, I hope!
      This park works well for us, providing us with what we need. :)

      Delete
  5. New Orleans is on my bucket list, but I'm leery to travel there alone. Take lots of pictures!!! The RV Park really looks good compared to many I have stayed at! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bucket list too and I wouldn't want to come alone either.
      The park is satisfying our needs for sure!

      Delete
  6. Yuck, I hope you're able to get rid of those damned ants. Have fun in NO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have a crossed Lake Pontchartrain. Have a great time in good ole' New Orleans. Enjoying following you along on your warm travels. Cold, snowy and a wind here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lake Pontchartrain. lots of fun names here, tricky to pronounce and remember!
      We'll do our best to have fun in New Orleans and will certainly appreciate this warm weather. Even 50F is nice compared to your cold stuff.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. We've read about one that charges per person for the day but will find out tomorrow at the Tourism place. Free sure sounds nice!

      Delete