Monday, January 6, 2020

Return to Dr. Eva, Windy but Warm


Pilot Knob RV Resort, Winterhaven, CA
We were awake at 6:30 on Monday, Jan. 6th so I got up and hopped in the shower first. Today, Bill had his appointment with Dr. Eva to medicate the abscess on his gum. It seems to have improved over the last few days but it needs to be healed for the endodontist to do the root canal. It would be nice if it could all happen today and get it over with, otherwise it will be a February return visit.

The sunrise on our way to Mexico through a dirty window
We had a very mild overnight and I slept great. Bill, not so much. He went to bed at the same time as me as he was falling asleep but he isn’t a person who needs 8 hours regularly like I do so tossed and turned a fair bit. We had our tea and coffee after his shower and we decided not to take a walk. The winds were quite strong this morning, we were seeing it jump from 5 to 19 mph really quickly. Bill had some of the quiche but since I wasn’t hungry, I opted to wait until we got back.

Walking into Los Algodones
We left just before 9 arriving in Los Algodones within minutes. The usual greeters for dentists, eye glasses, pharmacy were there and we just say ‘no thank you’, ‘got one’, ‘going there now’ etc. and keep moving. George, Dr. Eva’s husband/receptionist, was on a water run and arrived as we did at their office. Dr. Eva had a quick look at Bill's tooth and gum and then George took Bill around their building to the endodontist, Dr. Armando Hernandez.

The endodontist has a pretty waiting room
As it turned out, upon examination, there is more work needed but at least he was able to medicate the much-improved abscess and begin the root canal. Yes, it will be more out of pocket expense than we’d hoped but rather than wait a year for work on the second tooth, we decided to take care of it this winter. Who knows? Next year might be my year for needing work. I hope not but you just never know, do you? This is the time to do it when we will be in the area until the end of February.

They are still decorated for Christmas but
what I loved was the decoration of pots on the far wall
It was 11:30 when we walked through the masses of vendors, more ‘no thank you’s’, ‘not today’ and ‘how are you’s?’. One stop at the Purple Liquor store for Bill’s Appleton’s Rum and then on our way home. We were happy to see there was no line to speak of, walking right up to the entrance behind a handful of about 6 people. We were through in a quick nod of the head after our passports were checked and Bill got through with his allotted bottle of rum. 😊

As I was sitting under the nose of the RV
the hummingbirds frequented the feeder
right over my head
Back home, I was starving so warmed up a piece of quiche and had some cheese and a coffee on the side. Bill also had a coffee but needed something more so had some toast. He restrained himself from his usual 4 pieces so with the butter (good fat) and peanut butter (more good fat), I approved his choice. I’m so proud of how he is doing and can’t wait to see the results for both of us in a couple of weeks. Usually he loses quicker than I do, don’t most men? 


I sat and worked on this post and chatted with our friend Elva. She had me chuckling over some messaging bloopers, kind of, and then I changed into shorts and went outside. I was so close to finishing my book that my focus was on turning pages today. It was still fairly windy but warm in the sun, so I nixed the pool idea and moved my chair under the nose of the Suite where I could block the gusts and still get some Vitamin D.

Another pretty sky off to the southwest
Bill had the awning out to sit out there too but it was just too windy and they were soon brought back in. The flies were annoying and I was too lazy to put bug spray on so eventually, around 2:30, I moved inside as well. Within the next hour, I managed to finish the last 15 chapters and it was certainly entertaining. Now, the hard part is picking the next book. I have quite a few to choose from so it will definitely be a good one.

Keith's 4-wheeler
At 5, we took a walk. I wanted to get some steps in since we missed this morning’s walk and walking in Los Algodones was only 1 ½ miles. So, we walked as far as Keith’s site together and stopped to chat for a while before I carried on, leaving the boys together. The 3 of them made plans for an outing in the morning, kind of at my suggestion. They’ve never been to Mexico so Bill will take them across and give them a taste. I was going to go but figured it would be a good bonding time for them. 😊

Back home, I prepped the pork tenderloin that I’d taken out of the freezer earlier. This is the second of the 4 portions from the two we got at Fry’s a couple of weeks ago. I spiced it with garlic, salt and pepper and browned each side on Sauté in you know who. I removed it and then added 1 cup of chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce. Without using the trivet for the first time, I replaced the meat right into the liquid. Never done that before but the recipe said so!
A peek at the sun through Keith's site
Notice Oreo behind the front tire?
She's looking for a shady spot

In one of my separate pots, I added a chunk of cabbage with a bit of water and set Madame IP for a total of 10 minutes. When it beeped, it was on NR for another 10 minutes and things were done pretty much perfectly. The smaller portion of the tenderloin (it was in 2 pieces) was done a bit more than the larger. I made gravy on Sauté from the juices and cooked some mixed vegetables for Bill in the microwave.

Supper was bland looking but delicious
Good night!
Supper was great and we finished it off with a dish of custard.  After dishes, we watched America’s Got Talent for an hour and then Bull. Our programs are starting up this and next week so there will be a few recorded episodes.

This was a good day. A few unexpected expenses are popping up with the dentist but we will take care of things this winter. It was a lovely quiet afternoon and evening for both of us.

Thank you for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. Better to get the tooth fixed now before it becomes a problem.
    Looks like the humming birds are enjoying your hospitality.
    We too had a great deal of wind, hopefully it calms down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The hummingbirds are sure busy around here!
      At least we have sunshine and that makes the day pleasant enough.
      Some days we get both sun and no wind and they are awesome!!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Deb. Best to take care of teeth sooner than later. Great hummingbird picture. Was a bit windy today, but the sun sure did feel good. I like the warmer mornings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we still have our teeth, may as well keep them looked after.
      Those hummers were like 6" from my head so it was hard to get a picture.
      The sun is so wonderful!!

      Delete
  3. I would have to agree with the two comments above...Tom and I will be visiting there on Thursday with fingers crossed all we need is the cleaning.
    Would not mind if the wind calmed down a bit but the sun is wonderful.
    Your dinner sounds and looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the dentist. I hope it is just a cleaning too. No surprises.
      The sun is amazingly warm!
      I enjoyed the cabbage, it has been a long time since I've had it.

      Delete
  4. I guess I'm very lucky to have good teeth. So many people go to Mexico for root canals due to the price. I hope it all comes out in the wash. It looks like a beautiful sunny day!! That's the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are indeed. So far, I have not too many complaints with mine but I whisper that quietly.
      A gorgeous week, one of the best we've had in a row.

      Delete
  5. I need to have dental work done. I'm such a sissy when it comes to doing it though. We have decided not to spend all of our time in Texas this year, but to travel in NM, AZ and hopefully a little side trip across state lines into southwest CA to see a special grandson of ours stationed there. Dean suggested we go to TX sometime during the off-season to have the work done rather than fight the crowds during the winter months. The work will take longer than the couple weeks we plan to be near MX dentists. Not sure I'd like the heat in TX outside of the winter months, but we could probably get things done much faster that way, then head to cooler climates. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We find that the Mx dentists work quite quickly. If it wasn't for the abscess, Bill could have gone back within days to have things looked after. Jo was in Friday, got a root canal and today is going for her crown. Now, that is fast! :)

      Delete
    2. Wow - that is fast! I may need to rethink our plan. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. To bad about the extra dental expense but it is good to get it done just in case, like you said, extra expenses come up next year. Yesterday was funny there was no wind when I went out for my walk and as soon as I walked inside the wind started up. Today there was major wind but as soon as I walked out the door it stopped ... yup I'm feeling lucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The root canals that he does are painless, even the freezing. So both Bill and Jo-Anne said. I like the sound of that!
      Funny about the winds!
      Savour the luck!

      Delete
  7. I agree with everyone else..get it done there where it's cheaper rather than wait. I hate the dentist always have since I was a kid. Like going to a torture chamber in my opinion. Looks like a beautiful day and Bill's outing will be nice for him and Keith. Dinner looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dentist 'fear' I've had since young has abated since I began going to a good one while working regularly. I still get all worked up when work is to be done but cleanings don't bother me.
      Keith, Dave and Bill will have fun in Mexico and I will have fun here at home. :)

      Delete
  8. I finally found a dentist who will put me under while she works, otherwise I'd never see a dentist unless it was so bad I couldn't take it any more!

    The tenderloin looks delicious. I'm not a fan of Worcestershire sauce but I'm think teriyaki or soya sauce would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's good, we have to do what we have to do. :)
    Thank you, it was very good. The Worcestershire sauce was undetectable but yes, I'm sure another sauce would work. :)

    ReplyDelete