Wednesday, May 13, 2020

An Outside Day and A Critter Day - Collages Galore


The Ridge
On Wednesday, May 13th it was Bill up first and in the shower. I lazed in bed until he came out of the bathroom. We joined each other downstairs around 7. Even though it was a lovely bright sunny morning, I waited until after my tea to go for my walk. After reading blogs, Bill went to the Hangar and I headed out to hit the gravel. It was -3C/27F when we first got up but by the time I went out, it was 1C/33F. Now, that is the way it should warm up!

A beautiful morning to take advantage of solar power
So, Bill unplugged us from electric power
I enjoyed the walk and felt much warmer by the time I returned. I puttered around, I’m not even sure what I did up until around 10 when I made myself a coffee. Oh, yes, I sorted the puzzles that I got from Donna, moved the last 4 patio chairs out of the Bunky and set up my rocks and paints on the table in there. I cleaned off the futon and put the lounge chair cushion on the King chair so I could sit and enjoy my drink.

A few pictures I took of the woods along my walk
When I finished my coffee, I got out a garden and leaf rake, my gloves, work shoes, knee pads and a stool and went up the hill to the garden plot. I had already told myself that I would take it easy and probably only do about half of it today. The plot isn’t that big but I’m getting to know my limits. Well, I think I am! We may need to borrow Donna’s tiller to work up the soil but I wanted to get the weeds and stones out of there first. Each year, more seem to show up.

Before lunch, I had 1/3 of the garden done, collecting the stones in the
pail for Bill's area
I worked away and the sun felt good. It actually felt great getting my gloved hands in the dirt. Finally! I believe spring has arrived. Just before 12 noon, I came down the hill and after seeing a tip on Facebook, cut up a black banana (still in peel) into the suet feeder. It is a suggestion for hummingbirds to get protein. If you leave the banana, set in a place away from where you sit, small insects will feast on it. Then, the hummers arrive and feast on the insects. Dog eat dog world, it is. We'll see if it works!

While I worked, Bill took pictures on my camera
After the mink yesterday, today he saw the otter slipping across the road
down into the pond
We were ready for breakfast and had our bacon and eggs. After cleanup, we went back outside. Bill uncovered our 3 ‘protected’ trees. You’ve seen the green tent in many pictures. Chippy will actually miss it now. The red maple doesn’t look so good, the hibiscus looks to be dormant yet the small oak tree looks quite healthy actually. I watered them in advance of the rain tomorrow in the hopes to give them a boost. I'll get a picture tomorrow.


I couldn't decide which pictures to keep

Each collection of pictures were precious
I finished the garden, yes,I did the whole thing. It looks good but I texted Donna for a bit of help with this old body of mine. I’m afraid of what the evening and tomorrow will bring as far as aches and grumbles. I got out my yoga mat, spread it out on the grass in the sun and followed her instructions for two great stretches. I hope they help! She has been trying to get me on to yoga for quite some time so will probably be pleased that I asked. 😊

It looks wonderful so I don't think we'll need the tiller now

The farmer behind us is busy planting
We're not sure what yet
I read outside for a bit while taking pictures of Chippy and the birds around the ‘empty’ feeders. They can wait for a day or two, they need to learn patience. LOL Bill had taken a walk down with my camera earlier to take pictures of the Goose family and so it was fun sorting through those. There were so many good ones and since I missed seeing them in person, I kept them and made collages. I hope you don’t mind! I appreciated him taking the pictures. I had just made a creamy tea when Bill came in for a nap.

The birds are fun to watch
 At 5:30, Bill lit the Weber Q. Truly a nice day when we can barbecue and may I say it? “It’s about bloody well time!” (sorry!) Inside, I made a salad to fill in the hunger cracks along with our cheeseburgers.

That's a white crowned sparrow on the right
but not sure what the one on the left is

I can't get over the colours here
The black is so dark and shiny
It all turned out great, only the second barbecued meal we’ve had this spring. I do love our bacon cheeseburgers with all the fixin’s. We cleaned up dishes and because of the gorgeous evening, we went for a walk with our cameras once more. I just can’t get enough of these critters!

But no one performs like Chippy
I tossed him some peanuts today and one day when I sit, I'm going to encourage him
to come to me
The first picture on the bottom left had me laughing
His back legs were on the fence post and the front legs on the feeder
This, is the first day we've had the outside door open
It was 12C/54F and that is what we’ve been waiting for. When we came back up the hill, I hated to come inside so sat on the patio while Bill wandered up to check out the farmer’s field behind us. He’d been planting in the 3 fields directly behind us, adjacent to our properties, all day. I remember the days as a child when Daddy would come in late from the fields for supper. I’m sure supper will be waiting when he gets home.

Yay! Burgers on the barbecue
Oh! While I was working in the garden, the thought crossed my mind that I'd hear from Jamie today. No reason and I wasn't expecting an offer to return to work but just a feeling. My psychic self, of which floors me sometimes, was right. Jamie texted me a picture of two designs for the lighted Durham Laundromat sign. He wanted an opinion, which we gave. I've been wondering how they were doing so it was nice to hear from him. (and freaky at the same time!)

Loading up the burger
When we came inside, it was a quiet evening. Nothing exciting on television so I got into my book after posting today’s blog. This was – well, I can’t say it enough – an AWESOME day! I know I’m not alone in those sentiments. 

A pond picture on our walk

Sitting outside at the end of the day
before calling it a night
And a GOOD night it was!

Thank you for stopping in. I do believe SPRING has arrived!

18 comments:

  1. Like the pictures of the animals and birds. If you get Chippy used to being fed he might not survive the winter. Also he will fail to be wary of Hawks.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the changing weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the many Chippy(s) will be fine. :) They have been eating the seed for 4 years and the peanuts are a treat for him.

      Delete
  2. The temperature forecast just keeps looking better Patsy! Even the odd bit of rain for our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong tail for an otter looks more like a muskrat. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right!! Duh me. I just saw the pictures of otters and told Bill that their tails are tapered and thicker to the point. Thanks Bob for the correction. :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to read that spring found its way to the Ridge today. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you finally got some better weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chippy is a chunk!! Love the idea about the banana. I may have to try that one too. Bob is right, that's a muskrat tail for sure! Glad your weather is improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they all are but can still run really really fast! :)
      I'll keep an eye on the banana.
      Thank you, Bob set me straight even though I knew better.
      The weather is FINALLY spring-like.

      Delete
  7. Oh those burgers look yummy! How nice to have spring hit you finally! 54 is still pretty chilly though, but good for you for enjoying it! Love all your little critters! We've got a couple of baby bunnies and they are so cute, gotta keep them out of the garden though LOL>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, 54F is feeling pretty good! ha ha That should tell you a lot!
      Love little bunnies, we don't have any of those here so I enjoy them in the southwest.

      Delete
  8. Your little chippy is adorable. I saw a chipmunk at my brother's the other day but never here in the city. I do have a regular squirrel visitor.

    I must get down to the local pond and see if we have any babies. I'm thinking not but definitely within the next week or so.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ridge is filled with little holes where the Chippies live.
      Good luck with your babies!

      Delete