Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother’s Day! Family Visit Because We Can


The Ridge
When we woke up on Sunday, May 10th it was looking very calm AND green out my window. That means the weather Gods didn’t dump on us again. Thank you! I couldn’t see the flags blowing but figured it was pretty brisk outside so while Bill had his shower, I had my tea downstairs. With the temperature hovering around 0C/33F, when my tea was done, I got bundled and went for a walk.

I saw these guys in the pond
 It was actually quite nice with the wind speed between ZERO and ONE mph. The perfect walk, it was. I wasn’t cold as I’d pulled my hood up and my neck scarf up to cover my chinny-chin-chin. 


I was happy to be out and when I got to our road, looking back onto our front field I was rewarded. There was the ‘Royal’ family. Our royal family. Mother, Father and all 7 goslings! I was so worried, dreading the worst, after not seeing the babes since the first day.

Then I saw the family, I couldn't get all the babies in the picture
The little gaphers were eating the grass and I took some pictures before picking up my step. Happy Mother’s Day, Mother Goose! I turned onto Baptist Church Road, saw the two large barking dogs on the porch at the corner house. They were behind their gate so I wasn’t worried. They don’t look friendly, but I’m sure they are and just protective. I was anxious to test Bob’s theory about the robin. As I was walking, the 10 snowflakes we saw up on the Ridge, turned into many more than that.

Here is where her nest is but I couldn't tell if she was in it
As I approached the tree and Ms. Robin’s nest, I couldn’t tell if she was present so stepped down into the ditch to get closer. My glasses had snow spots on them so I didn’t notice her head until I got about 3’ from her. I stopped as she watched me take a picture. I said ‘Happy Mother’s Day, Mama Robin!’ snapped the picture and backed up to the road. I was relieved that both mothers were present and accounted for, looking after their offspring.

She was very patient with my approach
The gate to Turbine Lane was open but I knew it was the other day so someone has been working on it. We can only assume that as the one has been so very noisy lately. When they whine, they sound like voices, animal or human. 


Back home, the snow was quite heavy and Bill met me by the corral. We discussed a couple of things and then walked the lane together to see the geese again. Just as we arrived, they got spooked and took their babies into the pond. So cute! It’s like the little ones are on a tether, they were so perfectly aligned.

A couple of favourite pictures from today

I was wrong, there aren't 7 babies, there are 8!
Inside, I started my posting for today and sent a few Mother’s Day wishes to my sisters and my buddies. Wasn’t I surprised around 10:30 when my daughter called! Not surprised, per say, she always does, but the timing was perfect. We had a lovely long chit chat and we wished each other a special day before hanging up. The snow hasn’t stopped so not sure what to expect. However, with a high temperature forecast of 6C/43F I doubt it will ‘stick’ around.

I followed Chippy down to the ditch to see where he was going
He has so many holes all over the property but he didn't disappear into one
I made us breakfast around 11 and we got cleaned up to go visiting. Our youngest daughter, Jess, has invited us for a visit this afternoon. That means they are ready, as we are, for a personal connection. Yay! It is Mother’s Day and I’m a mother so I took the time to dress up a bit. Well, in comparison to my normal isolation attire, I cleaned up a lot. I put on a pretty top and a skirt. Yup, a skirt! It felt good to apply makeup too.
Because of reading Furry Gnome's blogs blog
I recognized this White Crowned sparrow

He moves quickly so I was flitting back and forth a lot
The White-crowned Sparrow breeds in Alaska and arctic Canada, so it's just migrating through here now.  It winters in most of the continental United States and into Mexico.
(this write up is thanks to Furry Gnome)

I was thrilled to have three visit all at once
We left the Suite around 12 noon after cleaning up the dishes. We had some gifts for the family and of course a special one for Baby Easton’s 1-year birthday. That was on March 11th but it didn’t go by unnoticed, we found something for him in Yuma, Az. 😊 We left the snow flurries in one part of Ontario and welcomed dry pavement and green and brown fields in another. We arrived in Stratford and then at Jess and Matt’s around 1:30.

Jess and Matt live here with Easton

Our little greeter
Look at those gorgeous blue eyes!

Easton does not act strange with people but look at the
curious look on his face
Domi poses really well for the camera
They have a dog, Domi, 2 cats and a little person very adept at walking so Jess asked that once we buzzed for entry into the apartment building, to just walk in their door. Knocking would set the dog to barking unnecessarily. As we approached their door, it opened and out came our little greeter. Easton! Walking and just so adorable. Domi followed and a bit of fun chaos ensued while we made our way in the door.

Easton liked his Arizona burrow and Grandpa tried to get him laughing
Remember, the last time we saw Easton, he was only 7 months old so this was a real change. He took my finger but didn’t move so Gramma got to pick him up right away. Yes! We had a great visit with the new family and Jess got us a drink and set out some snacks that she’d prepared before we arrived. 


Jess, Easton and the burro
Between Easton, Domi and one of the cats fawning for attention, finally everyone settled down. We had some good chuckles with the 1 year old and a nice chat with Mom & Dad.

With the leftover strawberries and blueberries
she was going to try and blend a dessert for Easton
Even though he is reaching for them, he doesn't like anything on the plate

Here is a great size perspective for you!
It was 3:45 when we left Stratford and gave daughter #3 a quick call to see if she was around for a quick visit too. She is on our way home, in a roundabout way but we didn’t get an answer to the call. 

I didn't take a picture of their house but
this should show Krystal and Matt that we were really
in their driveway
By the time we approached Drayton, we’d still had no response from our message so obviously she was busy or didn’t have her phone. We found their home anyway for next time and headed home. When we reached Mount Forest Bill pulled into the A & W. My treat for supper and I had no argument whatsoever!

I did ask if we could please take it home rather than eat it in the parking lot. I know Bill likes his food hot but if this was my Mother’s Day supper, I wanted it in the comfort of our own home. I promised Bill that I would reheat it in the microwave so he could enjoy it and he readily agreed. It was 5:30 when we arrived home and I quickly changed clothes while Bill got plates and condiments out. Still in the bag, I warmed the food for 2 minutes and that was perfect.

It was a fast food meal but it was delicious!
I enjoyed our meal very much, the big thing being that I didn’t have to come up with something and then cook it. Bonus! We sat together for the evening and I waited patiently for one more phone call. Usually it is when I think Patrick won’t call, the phone rings and I don’t think he has missed the day yet although it has come close! This was a fun day; I couldn’t ask for any better. The snow had stopped by the time we got home and the grass was still green. Another bonus!

Jess, Matt and Easton spoiled me today
with this Bamboo plant and card
Thank you!
I hope you’ve had a great day too. If you are a mom, this picture is for you. 
Good night everyone!

I hope you got to speak to your special lady today in one way or another.

Thank you for stopping by! Comments are always welcome.

16 comments:

  1. Domi looks about the right size for Easton to ride!!! What a big boy! I’m so glad you went to see them. And of course the baby geese. I could watch them all day. Happy Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Easton has crawled all over him so yes he could hop on board!
      We are glad to see them too. Easton liked to be cuddled and tickled AND kissed! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day. How great to get to see family...:)
    Nice to see the pictures of the baby geese. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. We really enjoyed seeing the 'new' family on Mother's Day.
      The baby geese will grow far too fast for my liking!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, Baby Easton is just too adorable! What a wonderful visit you had :) I've got to say that A and W dinner looks yummy and now work for you! So glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easton just makes me smile thinking of him. He wasn't shy after not seeing us for 6 months. That is huge in a 14 month old!
      thanks Shirley!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome Mother's Day and how special to be able to hold and hug Easton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was. Loved the time with Easton (oh and J & M too) :)

      Delete
  5. Nothing better on a Mothers Day than a Grandmothers day. Love the smiles all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had the chance to finally visit with your Family on this special Mothers Day.
    If you have the Insulated Shopping Bags from Sobey's if you double them it would keep you meal hot for over an hour.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Goslings as they grow.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We actually put the food in our insulated Costco bag. :) It worked well but they still needed to be reheated to get them HOT.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great Mother's Day for you. I had a chance to use my Weber grill to make steaks and fried potatoes for Dolly on her special day. That Easton is a real blue eyed cutie! Lucky Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful Mother's Day for you! That little Easton is a cutie for sure! I was able to see both Misti and Marc so that was a treat. I sure love watching your birds, geese, around your place. It's nice you have the pond nearby. They draw so much wildlife.

    ReplyDelete