Thursday, May 21, 2020

Laundry, Lawn Care, A Turnaround and Company for Supper

The Ridge
Wednesday, May 20th, a day we have been waiting for. The turnaround. We’ve had mild days but other than one or two, they have been accompanied by clouds, rain and monster winds. 

After I posted my blog on Tuesday night, we had
a taste of Arizona out our windows
We’ve come to learn that we can’t have everything so have learned to be satisfied with the things presented to us. Today was to be the first of the days when we would reach temperatures in the upper teens and lower 20’s. That means 65 to 72 to our American friends.

I just had to share them with you today

This was the day we woke up to on Wednesday
woops! without the reflection of the window
We had planned on doing laundry this morning as the sky would be blue and the sun glorious. I knew it would also be windy but that is good when drying clothes. After showers and our drinks, Bill had a project of his own to do so I headed into town before 9. Arriving at the Mat, I was the only one again and was happy to see such a clean place! But then, hmmm, I’m apparently not missed at all. I’m glad that Jamie is managing all the same.

Jamie is working on a new sign to replace
this ho-hum one
Wait until you see it!

The Mat was spic and span

I still love the checkerboard wall
After loading 3 washers, 1 of which had my hoodies, long winter coat and puffy vest I went for a walk to Foodland. Town was busy so I’m assuming more and more businesses in the downtown area are opening. I’m hoping so, I’m anxious to get back to the relaxed feeling of walking into the little stores. 

Walking towards Foodland
At Foodland, I didn’t go in but instead perused their outside garden area. Just getting ideas and prices as I do like to support local unless their prices are too out of whack. We’ll be back in later.

I liked the looks of the geraniums
I walked back to the Mat just on time. The clothes were done. Back home, Bill carried the basket up the hill for me and then I realized just how windy it was. Goodness, it is a fight to get the clothes on the line when the gusts are over 20 mph but I managed and still enjoy the smell of fresh clean clothes off the line. While I did that, Bill took the mower out to the front field. The grass is getting long and soon I’ll have to cut the ‘lawn’ in front of the Suite too.

It was a wrestling match getting the clothes hung 
I made myself a coffee and was going to sit outside but the southeast winds made that very uncomfortable. Bill finished cutting the front grass and when I saw him coming up the lane at 11:45 I started frying his bacon and eggs. He wasn’t stopping so I went out and flagged him down when the eggs were on. I had my quesadilla omelette from yesterday and fried that up to delicious perfection.

Inside, we were both sad to see these cacti had broken off our
southwest planter

There is one tall one left but how long before it drops off is anyone's guess
Sending him back out to do his thing, I did the dishes. That took all of 5 minutes. When he put the mower away we drove into Durham. Because he had some Home Hardware shopping to do, I suggested he drop me at Foodland for a few food stuffs and then my plants. He wasn’t able to get inside the hardware store to wander yet, but the store owner, Josh, ran around and got most of what Bill needed so my ride was waiting when I finished in the garden centre.

Mr. Blue Jay is picking at seed droppings

Don't get cheeky with me!
I'll fill the feeders when I'm ready!
I didn’t get a lot but did get tomato and green pepper plants at least. In the flower department, I found some healthy-looking geraniums in red and white but their last few marigolds looked a little worse for wear. They can keep those. 

This is the planter but not a good picture
There are little white flowers on viney stems
Their hanging baskets were on sale for $10 so I picked one of those as well. Maybe I will stay low key this year, we’ll see. It’s a good price for the hangers so I might get a couple more later.
A walk down the lane
and only the brave turtles remained on the logs


I try so hard not to spook them
and a few don't bother moving
They're my favourites. :)
Back home, I put the groceries away and around 2, the clothes were dry. That was fun too, holding the folded clothes in the basket at the same time as holding the line from twirling. LOL Hopefully soon, that won’t be an issue – the twirling, I mean. We need to get some cement for the base. 

Flipping them over and removing
the membrane is the hardest part

And 'there's the rub'

They fit perfectly all spiced up

Bill and I'd decided over lunch to invite Donna and Gerry out for supper, we knew they were going to be at the Acreage this afternoon.When they accepted the invite, I pulled out 2 racks of pork ribs.

I wanted to be out in the sun but the black flies were making an appearance. They weren't as bad up here as they were at the Acreage the other day. I’m sure that is one reason to be grateful for the strong winds. I put on some tea tree oil, around my face and neck as a precaution and went outside. 

Remember this tree?
The 2 branches on the far side had broken in early April
Bill cabled wrapped together to try and help it
The front branch is the healthy one
The back top one is the repaired one
Slower to bud but still coming! Yay!
 At 4:30, I removed the membrane from the ribs and rubbed the spices into them. They would take 45 minutes to cook and 20 minutes on NR so I set it to start at 5. Donna and Gerry arrived and she brought a cabbage salad (cole slaw) to add to the meal. We wouldn’t need anything else with all of these ribs. 

We dug the chairs out from under the bed so we could eat together at the table
 I forgot to take a picture of the table setting with food but you get the picture. Everything tasted great, Madame IP has not let us down yet.


Saying goodbye to our guests

Goodbye!
I loaded the dishwasher to give it a run through and after D & G left at 8, we sat together to watch some tv. This was a perfect day in all ways. We got the laundry done, some plants purchased, some grass cut, a nice meal with family and a few other things taken care of. What more can we ask for? I hope you are able to same about your day.

An important picture here
If you look closely to the left side of the feeder
Our first hummingbird and he was thirsty!
Spring has officially arrived.
Good night!

Thank you for popping by!

10 comments:

  1. I appreciate you converting your temps for those of us who are challenged in that regard. I hope the laundromat we go to in Montana is as clean as yours but I doubt it will be. Nice to see your broken branch coming alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thank you! I hoped readers didn't find that annoying! :)
      I'm proud that our laundromat is clean - I know the owner very well! haha

      Delete
  2. You did well for $10 for a hanging basket, and it's very pretty. Glad that spring has finally arrived at the Ridge. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. I'll probably pick up another basket at that price. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sunset! I'm sure Jamie would love to have you back if times and $ were different. I do love that checkerboard wall! How nice to have company for dinner and what a dinner that was! Love the hummingbird feeder, finally got ours up after seeing them flying looking for it, guess they are coming back from last year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting back to the Mat too. We were happy D & G could join us for supper.
      The hummingbirds are welcome back here too and I'm glad you've put your feeder out too. Makes us 'feel' connected. :)

      Delete
  4. Looked like you had an Enjoyable Productive Day.
    Hopefully the Black Flies will be gone soon.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we never know how long the black flies will stick around. Usually a week, maybe two. :(

      Delete
  5. Only one Hummer?....I've had so many (20-40) zooming outside my windows for 2 months..
    I have to keep two feeders filled...
    I'm at Lat.47 in Washington..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, only one hummer at that time. I never have more than 2 around the feeder at a time. I'm just pleased that they come and find me! :) It would be awesome but very very rare to have that many up here. AND we finally just got warm weather, with snow just in the last week and a half!

      Delete