Monday, May 4, 2020

Rewind


The Ridge
So, on Monday, May 4th I was awake around 6:30 and snuggled closer to Bill and we dozed off for another half hour. I finally got up and hopped in the shower. We knew that there was going to be a huge weather change (again) so tried to just be grateful for the bit of summer we’ve had over the last few days. This morning it was a cool, windy 2C/36F day and walking was not anything I was going to do with wet hair.

The morning picture is from yesterday when I walked
We had our tea and coffee together and I had a blog post to finish before I got on with my busy (haha) day. I was trying to keep it as a secret from Bill until I completed it so had to sneak the photo albums of our wedding and honeymoon when he went down to the Hangar for something. That’s why it was late. 😊 That’s all I touched on in my blog, just US and our 23-year journey in a nutshell.

Sunday was gorgeous but very windy creating
a chill in the air
Oh Canada, your flag is blowing upside down
It was a great day yesterday though and I do have some pictures that I will share today since it doesn’t look like I’ll be outside much to take new ones. Only expecting 6C/44F for the high today! It’s like things have done a rewind back to pre-spring. 

My 4 step process of separating the seed
I only did the portion that didn't fit in the big pail
The wind we had on Sunday was strong up here on the Ridge but the sun was gorgeous. After moving the stones and rocks that I’d gathered from the flower garden, I saw that the feeders needed refilling.

I forced a small hole in the bottom of the cup
 The big bag of seed from Costco is a mixture with teeny seeds and then sunflower seeds. It didn’t make sense to buy any more small seed from town so I sat at the Bunky door (sheltered from the wind I could sit in a t-shirt) and went to work. I know, a pain-staking job but I am a patient person (as Donna pointed out). In a small yogourt cup, I poked a hole that was big enough for the tiny seeds but not the sunflower seeds. I scooped, shook and stirred to separate them. It worked.

I used Bill's file to stir the mixture up so
the small seeds fall through
By the time I finished a pail full of each, it was more than enough to fill the finch feeder. I need to make an adjustment in that feeder so the seed can’t go below where the holes are. Someone wasn’t thinking when they invented this one. I know the small birds frequent all the feeders but at least the big birds or Chippy can’t get at this seed and it’s the small birds I enjoy most. Chick-a-dee-dee-dee!
Not worried about leaving some small seeds in the left pail for the bigger feeders
I had enough in the right pail for the finch feeder
It took a while but I was warm
Around 2 we got cleaned up and drove over to the Acreage for a visit with Donna and Gerry and Gayle and John. We can’t get over the difference in temperature AND wind in their sheltered spot. Night and day. Up here, we needed jackets and down there, t-shirts. We sat around outside and chatted about what else but the virus effects and then moved on to gardens and trucks. Before we left at 4, I got a pail with more evening primrose from Gayle. It is easy to plant and can fill in more on the hill and another plot I have in mind.

Saying goodbye to my family
As you can see it was lovely for sitting outside in short sleeves
We’d been invited to Happy Hour at Rob and Pat’s in Durham so went straight there. It is always a great time with these guys and since Bill had promised me a pizza for supper, we invited them to join us. It was 5:45 when I placed the order and the boys went to New Orlean’s Pizza to pick it up 25 minutes later. I have been craving pizza and even though I thought I would have leftovers from my olive laden side, I ate it all! Speaking of piggies! It was so good and a lovely treat.

I snapped a quick picture of the river across from
Rob and Pat's when we drove away

As we drove home, the sky was shaping up for the beautiful sunset
you saw in yesterday's post
It was later than expected when we said our goodbyes but it was a wonderful evening visit. Thank you everyone for helping to make our anniversary extra special. On to today, it looks like an inside one so we’ll see what we get into. Bill sat at his laptop and posted a new update on his blog and I got caught up in pictures. That’s what yesterday started!
We were visited by a male and female Brown-headed cowbird
I think that is the female in the middle

I love this picture
A cowbird, a common grackle and a red-winged blackbird
eating together
Around noon we had our bacon and eggs and after dishes Bill went upstairs with his blanket (it’s cold up there with the door shut) to watch a movie and perhaps doze. Sadly, we’ve had to resort to turning our blue flame heater and the fireplace on again. The fireplace decided to work today and we just don’t understand that at all. 

A male and female were playing
Her belly is more gray, at least I think so
The blue jays are performing outside, a male and female playing games out our window and a new bird (3 of them) appear.


Bill says maybe papa was telling her to go back to the nest
Don't you love his colours?
I took a walk down the lane to put a couple of cards in the box and had to bundle up against the wind. Brrr! The clouds are breaking up though so I wasn’t surprised to see sunshine around 2 making the odd appearances. Back inside, I got out my cross stitch and this will keep me occupied for the bulk of the day. I’m afraid that it will get to a point where I can’t see the stitch places easily so I better do what I can now. 

My first walk to the mailbox
Father Goose was floating in the big pond alone
exception for his reflection

On my way back, he had a partner fly in
Bright colours in the garden 
The turtles didn't mind the cold as long as it is sunny,
they are out sunning
If you can see the little red patches, that is the healthy primrose I just
planted
I'm excited that the 3 trillium (Ontario's flower) plants are growing well
Would the day be complete without a Chippy picture?
It was 6 when I started supper, frying up some mushrooms and 2 pork chops. In another fry pan I fried the leftover potatoes from the other night. I’d sliced them and cut some onions into the pan as well. I steamed broccoli for me and cooked corn for Bill and that was supper. It was pretty good and that means the pork chops were done but not too much. I’m not a big fan so that is saying a lot. I wanted to try them differently tonight and it worked out.


This was a beautiful sunny day, however, too cold to be outside working in the garden. For me, anyway. We were lucky to reach 5C/42F with the winds gusting between 15 → 20 mph throughout the day. 

I think this just might be my favourite picture today
We were warm, safe, healthy and happy inside. We’re getting good at that!


Forgive me for the red reflections
but that is real sunshine out there through the trees
Good night!
Hope your day was a good one. Thank you for stopping by. All comments are welcome.

11 comments:

  1. I noticed you mentioned your fireplace was working again, but it sounds like maybe it hasnt been working? If so one thing you can check is the electrical connector that is behind the fireplace to make sure it is not going bad. I recommend you do that just for safeties sake! it is an easy fix if it is going bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you. The fireplace over the past year has been acting up. It plugs into an outlet down where our tv plugs in. We have a retractable (?) tv that goes down in the cupboard so the outlet is in a difficult spot. There is no way to get to the back of our fireplace unit. Anyway, sometimes it runs and runs and no matter what temperature it is set at, it won't shut off so Bill has to unplug it. We've had it unplugged for 3 or 4 days and I just tried it and it worked fine again. LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh, ok, that is a different problem than what friends had with theirs. sounds like the thermostat has gone bad. we have the same type of set up in our 5th wheel. our fireplace has a small removable trim around the front, then a few screws to hold it in place so I can take it out to get to the TV if needed. good luck with that.

      Delete
  2. Cowbird? You have such interesting birds, with lots going on in the Spring time. How fun to have them visit you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a cowbird before or heard of it so had to Google it. I love having new visitors!

      Delete
  3. How nice you were able to have Happy Hour in such a beautiful place! Dinner has me drooling, those potatoes!! Spring is certainly in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Shirley! Dinner was good, we don't do fried potatoes often enough. :)
      Spring keeps coming but forgets to stick around!

      Delete
  4. First and foremost wishing you both a Happy Anniversary.
    Interesting way to separate the bird seed.
    Cow Birds are lazy. They will find another bird's nest to lay their egg. Move to another nest and do the same. The other birds sit on the nest until the eggs are hatched. The baby Cow Bird grows larger then the others and pushes them out of the nest where they die. Of course the mother bird continues to feed the young bird. Even though the Cow Bird most times becomes larger then the adoptive parents and can fly it will continue to scream for food basically starving the parents that have to continue to feed it. It is not until the Cow Bird starts mating that it starts to fend for itself.
    (Sounds like a lot of Teenagers, LOL!)
    Nice looking meal. Green Veges are healthier for you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the return of winter.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick and Kathy. Trying not to spend $ I had to get creative! haha
      Interesting about the cowbirds. I'd never heard of them before and now I know so much about them! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the three black birds! And it is a great picture, all three together.

    ReplyDelete