Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Slowly Drying Up, Wonderful Walk


The Ridge
On Tuesday, May 19th we got up within half hour of each other again after a restless night, or early morning. I was awake at 4 and tossed and turned a lot before finally dropping off again. It was after 7 when I crawled out. The winds were still howling outside but the rain seemed to have stopped. Maybe things will dry up now. With a heavy overcast sky, I wasn’t about to risk walking even though it was mild at 8C/47F.

Bill went up the ladder

To retrieve the downed flag
 Instead, I had my tea and read blog posts to see what our friends are up to. It is a nice way to stay connected with our American friends as we won’t see them until at least December again. I also check a bit on Facebook, although I don’t spend as much time on there as I used to, for those friends who don’t write blogs. We keep in touch that way. After Bill finished his coffee, he went down to the Hangar to rehang his Canada flag. The wind had pulled it off the pole.


Back up where it belongs
I finished my tea and sat with my cross stitch for a couple or three hours. Once I was sure the rain was done, we didn’t actually get any this morning, and I could see clearing on the horizon, I slipped on my long hoody and went for a walk. It was quite nice; the temperature having risen about 8 degrees already. The winds seemed to be dropping off a bit with only strong gusts every so often. Yesterday, we reached 31 mph again.

I think I was safe under this sky to go for my walk
The first thing I noticed on my walk was the raccoon. I’m not wanting to feel sorry for him but it was hard when I saw him curled up in a ball, sleeping in the tree just down North Line. Aaah, he has no friends. I still won’t feed him and hope he finds a suitable place to call his home where there are ample insects etc. to fill his tummy. NOT feeling sorry for him but he is still a cute critter.

This tree along North Line you might recognize
I've taken pictures of it in the past
Look at who is sleeping in the nook of a branch

The adventurous raccoon is sound asleep
I carried on down towards Turbine Lane and noticed Mama Robin’s nest was vacant. Really vacant. The eggs have hatched and the babies have flown the coop! That is always a good sign when you don’t see an egg on the ground. I hope they are alive and well. The next thing I noticed were the multitudes of trillium in bloom. I knew they would blossom soon but it is always nice to see the forest floor covered in white patches. Back home, I need to take a walk up to check mine out.

and the robins have left the nest
Returning home, I stopped at the Hangar to tell Bill about the raccoon and then filled the bird feeders. The oranges were dry so I hung another one to bring the Orioles back. Everyone is happy now! Inside, I started lunch. I couldn’t believe it was 12 noon already. My walk had turned from 30 minutes to 50 so the time zipped by.

These trilliums are a delight to see


I made us each a breakfast sandwich with eggs, bacon, peppers, onions and cheese.
 Mine was in a tortilla, of course, and Bill’s on a toasted bun. Yum. 


I used two tortillas so could only eat half. That means lunch for another day for me. After dishes, Bill loaded the bladder into the Rav 4 and went to get us a fill up for fresh water. We’re down to around 25 gallons. I got washed and then relaxed to start this posting.

Looking at the family, isn't there always one black sheep?
See him n the right corner of the picture?
The geese here are sitting on the turtles log


 It sounds like we are on a warming trend tomorrow and beyond and that is fantastic to hear! We’ve been waiting so long. Bill returned and had to make a second trip for water. Using the old water bladder one last time, he discovered it was time to switch to the new one. He topped us up right royally before coming inside for the rest of the day.

But I found them in a different section of the pond
While he was gone I took a walk down to the mailbox. It was 2, well past the regular pickup time of 1:30. You can imagine my disappointment when the card I’d put in the box Friday was still sitting there. Now I was getting angry. I walked up the lane very slowly giving her the benefit of the doubt and sure enough, at 2:10 the mail lady pulled up. The card will still be late but I’m glad it is at least on its way. No mail for us today.

The Bear Paw flowers are prettier than I expected
I had thought about making some custard today but that thought went out the window when my stitching was going so well. With a bit of frustrating news, I decided it was a day for Caesars. I made us each the alcoholic drink and we sat back to watch NCIS. I can stitch and watch at the same time. 😊 At 6, I put the inner pot with leftover lasagna in Madame IP and set it for Steam. 15 minutes should be plenty.


We opted for no salad tonight, I think the drinks helped fill us up, and we still have ice cream if we want for dessert. We were eating by 6:30 and dishes were cleaned up by 7. Supper was good and I was hungry! We were soon settling in to watch a recorded Good Witch followed by The Voice finale. There won’t be a spoiler alert in case you don’t get a chance to see it tonight. 😊

Cheers!
Bedtime will be soon after it is over. At least for me. With last night’s restlessness, I’ll be good and ready at 10.   This was a much nicer day outside with the rain hopefully behind us for a few days. It was nice to see the critters out and about today and the birds emptying the feeders as fast as I fill them. LOL

the messy lasagna was a success again for the second night

The sun was sure trying

You can see that it was winning by the time evening moved in

Good night everyone!
Isn't this gorgeous?

Have a good night and thank you for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to do what you wanted outside today. Nice that Bill is keeping the Flag flying proudly.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for not revealing The Voice results, we won't have time to watch it until tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad things are warming up for you. It's been quite a year between the weather and the virus. I pray the remainder of the year improves and we get to enjoy some semblance of our lives again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww the raccoon is so cute!! I love to watch those guys. Loved the Voice finale!! I've never tried reheating anything in the IP, but I bet it uses less electricity than the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The raccoon is adorable in the tree! Glad the weather is getting warmer hopefully soon summer will be there for you! Good for Bill for putting up the flag! Those winds can really wreak havoc! Dinner looks so yummy! Beautiful sunset pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute picture of the geese family. I like to think that little one just learned early how important it is to "stop and smell the roses" or whatever those yellow flowers are...LOL
    The raccoon in the tree is cute.
    The trilliums are pretty and how nice to have your own patch. I always loved seeing them filling the forest floor in the spring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy this warm weather now that it's finally here!

    ReplyDelete