Friday, August 28, 2020

Approaching Week’s End, Easy Days For Me, Another Sister’s Birthday!

The Ridge

On Thursday, Aug. 27th we followed the same routine as usual. Bill up first, in the shower, then I got up, washed and left for Durham to clean. All between 6:15 and 6:45. Bill would leave for work at 7:15. No one was at the Mat but one gal who I met last week came in. She asked if my husband got his windshield fixed. I drew a blank how she would possibly know and she said I told her last week. LOL It’s a bummer getting old and forgetful.

I hadn't taken pictures all morning so this afternoon I noticed
our hammock doing the Ba Donka Donk. You've heard that song by
Trace Adkins? 
The wind flips the canvas over and over

It was an easy clean and with a few minutes extra, I decided to dry those leftover damp clothes so they didn’t get ruined. Even as a donation to Goodwill, they shouldn’t be musty smelling. That did the trick and I thought of my grandsons who would wear some of this stuff. I’ll leave it and see if they are still there on Saturday. I nipped across the street to the book drop and left our book and another one from in the Mat in the box.

Pick up some tomato juice for Bill
Hope he likes it

Back home, there were a few drops of rain but it wasn’t amounting to much.  At Mitch’s for 9, I did some taping and hand sanding on the old pick up. I thought it was a ’96 Silverado but it is a ’91 so it will be great looking 29 yr. old when we’re done with it! The owner is being stingy with his cash on this project so we aren’t rushing it through. Another truck owner dropped his Chev off this morning and we should be done the Ford Edge early next week. There is still plenty of work to keep us busy.

These sure look better than my harvest of carrots last year! haha

The corn looks bruised but that is just shadow

Because, the fellow with the latest drop off didn’t have a way home, I drove him back to Dundalk. Mitch offered his Acadia or to pay for fuel if I drove Ptooties. I’m more comfortable in my own vehicle, although they are similar, so in the Rave, I drove Bruce the 51 km to his place, east of the town. He seems like a nice guy and we had good conversation all the way. On the way back, I stopped just a few farm houses from his to pick up corn, carrots and potatoes from a Mennonites booth at the road.

Walking down to the mailbox, our little $1 Maple Leaf flag is flying proudly

They are on the honour system which is really nice but when you don’t have small change, that poses a problem. Corn was ridiculously cheap at .25 per cob and 6 would have been nice but I only had a 5$ bill. Hmmm. So, I took 11 (all they had) plus a basket of fresh carrots to be fair to them and me. At the next booth, I wanted to see what they would have so, same thing with no access to change. With my $5 I bought a large jar of homemade tomato juice and a small basket of 6 potatoes. No prices, the sign said “pay what you feel is fair”. 😊

I noticed this weed down the laneway but it was the shadow on the rock
that caught my eye

I offered Mitch some corn but he declined because of no bottom teeth. Sssh, I never noticed. It was a pretty easy 3 hours with me only working on sanding for about an hour and a half. I got paid for a few more days plus $20 for gas. That was generous in my mind. I marked the calendar and I left for the day at noonish. It was sure muggy outside but still no rain to speak of. Bill and the crew are hopeful to finish their job in Walkerton tomorrow so have their fingers crossed for dry weather.

This was a wonderful 'investment'!
The finches and chickadees love it

When I went to put the potatoes in the cupboard, I found an old bag with 4 baby ones still in there. But they were rotten. Oooey gooey, does that stink! I took them right out to the compost bin and then had a mess to clean up. I forgot they were in there but now I’m glad I bought new ones. 😊 I made myself a bullet proof coffee but didn’t know what to eat. I wasn’t feeling hungry yet knew enough not to skip eating.


These little guys don't slow down so it was hard to capture them
with my camera
There were two taking turns but not too frequently

A hard-boiled egg, some cold meat, tomato, cheese and grapes with a piece of toasted rye bread. Yah, that was almost too much. I did the dishes and washed the carrots that I’d purchased. I still have carrots in the freezer but they’re for a stew or casserole over the winter. I husked three cobs of corn for supper and then sat back and relaxed for the rest of the day. I didn’t feel too energetic so stayed indoors and read my book and dozed.

The corn was delicious, I ate two cobs!
The pork chop was good too

Bill got home after I started supper at 5:20 or so. I was prepping 2 boneless pork chops for the Instant Pot. On top of the sautéed chops, in a pot, I put 3 cobs of corn and cooked for 10 minutes and released for 10 minutes. They were all perfect. The chops were tender so done to perfection. I can’t take credit but Madame IP can. We did dishes and then drove to Durham together to put fuel in Black Beauty. I needed to be prepared in case I had to go to Dundalk tomorrow for the windshield.

The sky was pretty but still unpredictable
when we went in to Durham

We usually get fuel at Esso for the points but they close at 7! Duh! Down the street, while at Colpepper’s Shell station, Jamie pulled in, saw us and came over for a chit chat. Nice to see him, it has been a couple of weeks since the last time. 

Bill unlocks the gate at the acreage
A very interesting illusion here
Look at his legs. I think he was wearing shorts but........
that is strange!!

On the way home, we went to the Acreage and filled the bladder with water. The rain held off but the sky looked like it could open up at any time. Bill transferred the water while inside I cut us each a piece of cheesecake. It’s past the time we should be eating, but TOO LATE! 😊

Happy Birthday, Gayle!


Bill pulls Black Beauty up the berm a bit to
ease in emptying the bladder
Good night!

This was a good day, an easy one at Mitch’s and a nice afternoon.  Thank you for popping around.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Gayle! Gotta love the Amish and Mennonite farms. I had some of the best elderberry jelly in TN. Sounds like a good day all the way around. Your pork chops and corn look delicious! That pic of Bill is really weird..1 leg of pants and one of shorts ...strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love the neat gardens and farms of the Mennonite and Amish around here. They know how to grow food.
      Weird pix of Bill for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. Another busy day accomplishing what you needed. Even though it is not recommended we keep our Potatoes in the Fridge. The worse they do is start to grow roots then you can plant them next year.
    Happy Birthday to Gayle!
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick, the whole family is getting older and isn't that a good thing!?

      Delete
  3. I love the picture of the flower shadows on the rock. Dinner looked delicious. The picture of Bill was strange, one leg with pants and one leg with shorts. Is he trying to start a new trend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Elva, too funny. Bill is not a trend maker but maybe!!

      Delete
  4. So was the tomato juice a hit? I have often thought of giving that a try when I am knee deep in tomatoes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato juice is watery but Bill still liked it. I made soup one year and would recommend that to try. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh to be able to grab veggies from the roadside!! Your carrots look wonderful. This is weird of Bill ... to wear one legged pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of year there are gladiola flowers at every booth and usually lots of veggies on your honour.
      Bill can be funny in his clothing choices but we had no idea how this happened! haha

      Delete