Saturday, August 29, 2020

Fingers Crossed for the Windshield, Working with a New Tool

The Ridge

I got out for my walk at 6:45 on Friday, Aug. 28th and I needed to wear a jacket and my safety vest. It wasn’t really cold but a damp chill was in the air even though 14C/58F is pleasant. The sun had a difficult time rising through the clouds and there was low lying fog around the area. I walked as far as the horse farm entrances and turned back.




I couldn't decide on the morning walk pictures so you got them all!

The only vehicle I met was Ptooties. Oh! I’d forgotten that I needed the truck today but I’m glad Bill remembered. Good thing he stopped as I’d also forgotten yesterday to take my work stuff out. My gloves, mask and rag to wipe my face when I’m done work. Seriously, before I go very far the dust needs to come off! Ha ha. Quite a sight, I am most days. Back home, I had my tea and phoned Larry from Southgate Auto Glass at 8 as he’d asked me to.





It looks really foggy up ahead but by the time I got there
it was clear as a bell



There goes Ptooties up over the hill to the highway

No answer again so I left a detailed message. Upon arriving at Mitch’s, he asked if I’d heard from Larry. He continued to feel bad that I seem to get a runaround but I told him I’m being positive and we’ll get in touch. After half hour, at 9:30, he called and darn it didn’t he answer right away! LOL So we both spoke to him and I got the word that TODAY for sure it will be done. He is very busy but promised this afternoon sometime.

I brought the TCB Acadia home
After Bill got home, I took a picture
TCB for Elvis' Taking Care of Business, of course

Mitch had me finish sanding a few spots on the old Chevy truck and then moved on to the one that just got dropped off yesterday. It is a 2010 Silverado and there is some detailed sanding around the wheel wells to do. Detailed meaning it needed a smaller sanding tool. Oh-oh, something new. It took me a while to get the hang of this one too but I managed okay with it before using the big sander over the same area to smooth it out for priming.

I drove over to meet Larry and get Black Beauty

Then! I primed. By then, it was 10 to 12 noon, which surprised the heck out of me that the last hour had flown by. Another word of praise about how much I’ve come along since my first days had me feeling proud. Mitch paid me again for a few more hours and I took his Acadia home. When the truck windshield is almost done, I’ll go back and pay Larry to get the truck. It was nice of Mitch to loan me his vehicle, I could have walked home and back.


I had a shower when I got home and once more was pleased with the bathroom scales. With a coffee on the go, I opened windows and made a bowl of soup. We have plans to meet my 2 sisters and their hubbies for supper so hope everything is looked after as far as Black Beauty by then. Bill called at 1:30 to let me know he was on his way home. Nice early day for him, that is great on a Friday. He pulled in the lane at 2:15.
😊 We chatted and talked about the truck progress. Before he had a snooze, he asked if I would cut his hair for him.

Larry cuts the glass where the sticker is

We can either leave it like this or try applying heat to it
Leaving this on the dash will work just fine

So, Patsy’s Salon opened its doors on the patio and I gave him a nice cut. I’m feeling quite comfortable now doing it and I must be gentle at it since he dozed off in the chair. I told him not to do that, as a slight nod of the head might cause unwanted bald spots! As I was in the middle of cutting, Mitch called to say that Larry was working on the windshield and to come over anytime. Perfect! It wasn’t 3 o’clock yet so that was good timing.


This picture is nice but you need to see the next two to see what is going on

Bill went up for a nap and I drove over to Graceland 2 to get some pictures. Mitch and Brian were hard at working on the newer Silverado so I said hi and went to meet Larry. As I determined from the phone, he is a nice guy and is very anal about his work. He hopped around checking this and that and making sure there were no finger marks on the new glass. He couldn’t get the yellow safety sticker off, says he never could in all his 26 years, but as he does every other time, he cut the glass so we can at least put it in a ziplock for on the dash.


I just told them to get along

I said s’long to Mitch and drove home. I’m glad that business is over with and we got a discounted deductible as well and no tax charged because I paid cash. Good deal! Bill was just waking up when I returned so that was a short siesta. We basically just hung out until it was time to go pick Donna and Gerry up at the Acreage for supper. Markdale is 15 minutes from our place so after getting 'gussied up' a bit, we left around 5:30. 

Entering Markdale, a town we never seem to visit
I meant to get a picture of the restaurant but forgot

At Steven’s restaurant you could take out, eat outside or eat inside. John had made reservations for 6 of us and we thought it was very nice of them to choose a location close to us rather than closer to their home. 😊 We wore masks once we entered just to get to our table and when she brought our water, we removed them. The tables inside were also ‘safely’ placed 2 meters apart and it wasn’t long after we sat that the birthday girl and her hubby arrived.


The old fashioned tomato soup
I highly recommend it!

Because they were having wine, Bill and I ordered a rum and diet Coke to celebrate with them and I ordered Chicken Parmesan with veggies after my appetizer. The soup of the day was old fashioned tomato and it was probably the best tomato soup I’ve tasted. With a bit of a bite to it and some tomato chunks and rice, it was filling and delicious! Bill had salad and Halibut and chips. My meal was very good with a chicken breast leftover to bring home but Bill wasn’t so keen on his supper. Sometimes too much batter is used and the type and way they cook their fries can make or break a meal.

the Chicken Parm was very good but I expected it to be stuffed
with mozarella and it was just melted on top

The company was good and I really enjoyed that I didn’t have to plan, cook or do dishes afterwards. It was a good time. We were home by 7:30 after dropping Donna and Gerry off. For some reason the two of us were like zombies and were in bed before 9. Falling asleep in the chair apparently does not equate to sleepiness as by the time I got undressed and under the cover, I couldn’t get comfortable enough to drop off. I lay there for about 30 minutes listening to the wind outside.

It was a warm night though and with my ear plugs in I didn’t hear the rain. We were expecting a lot overnight. This was another good day and now the weekend is upon us.

We're getting back into our routine of the 6 of us celebrating
our birthdays
Next month there will be two more!
good night!

Thank you for your visit.

5 comments:

  1. Always enjoyed Stevens, took our kids there for Thanksgiving several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll go back and Bill will try another entree for sure. It's a bit pricey but I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that BB is back in top shape and you are developing new skills.
    Also nice to get together for Family Birthdays.
    Changes in weather does affect our sleep patterns.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy day! Hope you charged for that haircut!! Lol. Glad you got the truck back. A hairdryer should take the sticker off. Your chicken parm looked much better than my homemade version.

    ReplyDelete