Friday, August 21, 2020

Friday Arrives, Short Day for Each of Us

The Ridge

On Friday, Aug. 21st we were both up and on the move by 6:30. Bill had his shower and got ready for work. I washed and left the Suite at 6:45 for Durham. The Mat was empty but from the lint trays, I could tell yesterday was a busy day. That’s good for Jamie’s business. As far as cleanliness, it wasn’t too bad before I arrived but sparkling when I left. 


Coming home from the Mat

There were a few articles of clothing left as Lost and Found and when I discovered one note on a washer that said ‘clothes weren’t spinning well – still sopping wet’, I decided to test it with those clothes. I used the dredges of a discarded soap jug and opened a machine to get the $4 required to start the process. Thirty minutes later, it spun just fine so I put my own note on the back so Jamie knows about the complaint and about the testing. He usually reimburses the client.

This is a nice road in the summer
I hope not to see it in the winter though

It was a little after 8 by the time I got out of there and closer to 8:30 when I got home. The earlier I start at Mitch’s Body Works, the earlier I get to leave so I changed into a different top and drove over for 9 am. The day has already started out hot and humid so I didn’t need anything with sleeves today. I worked on power sanding the passenger door. It went much easier today and, in an hour, I had almost completed it. Mitch had gone to town for half hour and was impressed at my progress when he returned. Me too! Darn, I meant to take a picture.

so many goldfinches today

I only worked 2 hours today, my arms, shoulders and wrists needed a break. 😊 I should be building up arm muscles but nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, will take away the ‘wings’. You ladies know what I’m talking about. Why only us women? It’s not fair. I got home and rather than have a shower, I had a sink bath. From my arms up, I was pretty blue with dust. I’d tucked my hair up under my hat so it wouldn’t need washing again.

And as usually happens, many things ripen at once
They aren't perfect tomatoes but they can finish ripening inside in a sunny window

I made up a lunch plate and then sat at my laptop until Bill got home. He was also done work for the day at 11:30. When the boss is away……..the boys leave early. Ha ha, I know it was on the up and up and within half hour of Bill arriving, Mike had already paid him. Now that is wonderful! Last night we had a nice chit chat with our London friends, Brenda and Randy. They are showing concern for our winter plans, like others. Too soon to make a decision but we do need to do some research.

In the Bunky, I got markers rather than paint out
for my smooth Big Bay stones

Rental properties would be the option but we’d need a furnished apartment OR a motel suite with kitchenette. When places in the small towns around here start at $2,000/month it worries me. LOL We’ll figure it out, I’m sure. Bill had a teeny snooze and then we sat and made a list for CanAm. The Suite needs to get looked after before winter, even if we stay home. With the contact with Peggy made, we had a date in September to take our home in. Count on a week, she said.

I've been watching our Hibiscus plant
and was happy to see many little buds
Even this plant seems slow this year

Bill went down to his Hangar to work on something for me but I didn’t know that. I went out and planted 4 cut potatoes just as a trial. They aren’t the best ones since they came from the store but what the heck, they weren’t good enough to eat. I went into the Bunky and painted a few rocks. I was actually painting them mostly with markers today, to see how that worked out. I’m not done yet so won’t show you my accomplishment.

Looks like Bill had a helper with his project

I had the windows open and the radio playing and felt very relaxed. Bill asked me to come down when I had a minute and that is when I saw what he was doing for me. I’d picked up a full-length mirror at the garage sale we went to over a month ago. It was framed in that plastic brass stuff. He was making a wood frame for it so I could hang it in the Bunky. That was a nice surprise! He’d talked about doing it but I wasn’t sure when. 😊

He framed the mirror and then put nice corner designs on the front
It isn't altogether yet but soon!

We took a drive over to the Acreage just before 5 to get water. Donna and Gerry had arrived not much before we did so we had a bit of a chit chat before heading home around 6 for supper. 

Driving back to the back of the Acreage
That tree is what she calls the Witch Tree
Her garden is filled with flowers


Bill hooked up the bladder and I lit the Weber for grilling sausages. Inside, I cooked the last 2 cobs of corn. I hope the next batch of corn is a little tastier. These were from the last of a pile that we picked up at a booth on the side of the road. I didn’t have a lot of choice.

It is so pretty that it deserves a close up

The vehicles are in their place for the weekend

This little guy crossed my path this afternoon
We don't often see frogs, just hear them

After dishes, Bill went back down to the Hangar and I took a walk down to get a picture. Today, I boiled some hummingbird food after seeing a hummer yesterday flitting about. I haven’t seen them for a long time. Bill and I were both surprised at the number of finches at that feeder today. We’ve both seen 5 and 6 at a time, well, taking turns at the feeder. Good! That makes me happy. After my walk, I came inside to finish my post. Jeopardy was on in the background.

We haven't seen Chippy for about a week
When I saw this guy run across the patio mat, I spoke to him
and he stopped in his tracks to listen
Such a cutie!

This was a great day with shorter work hours for each of us. The weekend began early. Clouds had moved in tonight, unlike other nights but it was a lovely evening out there. 

I saw a bluebird, not a jay, in our little tree but he flew before I snapped a pix
As I was chasing him across the lawn, this was my reward.
Such a beautiful sky!
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by.

12 comments:

  1. That is very sweet of Bill to make you that frame for the mirror. The lady in the laundromat might have had an uneven load with heavy items so it would not spin right. The finches are active here too. I think they are fattening up to get ready to head south. Sad, but other species might take their place to provide us with some entertainment. Nice post you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was his idea to improve the look and make it easy for hanging.
      You're right about the lady and the washer. I'll bet that was the problem.
      Thank you, Marlene.

      Delete
  2. Patsy, I feel your pain in decisions to make for travel this winter. If you find yourselves unable to go sw, here is a thought. Our house sold very fast, and it would be nine months before our new one would be finished. We lived in our fifth wheel for those 10 months, from March to Dec 23, here in Wisconsin, we are Dairy Farmers, and have a huge infloor machine shed. In November, we moved our RV to the heated shop. It worked. Wondering if anybody has a heated shop for you to move your RV in and stay in it through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, Barb. No one we know at least but if we put feelers out, you never know. We have a few people with their ears and eyes sharpened in case even a furnished house comes up for rent in our budget. No one would need a house sitter if they can't go anywhere either. LOL

      Delete
  3. Decisions decisions ... I hate that. Are you sure you can't some south? Have you checked every avenue? Tell them you are visiting your sister in Arizona and come stay here!! Gorgeous sunset!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Nice to have choices but this one is a puzzler. We're not sure of anything at this point so that makes it harder. We don't want to commit to anything now until we know for sure. Ha ha, do we need to adopt you as a sister first? :) We aren't giving up and have all digits crossed.

      Delete
  4. Certain that Jamie appreciates your concern on how his machines are working and Mitch is seeing a improvement in your Skill Set.
    A way to wear away the "wings" as you call them is by using weights (Water Bottle) raised over your head. Bend the arm at the elbow bringing the weight down towards your shoulders then lift again. Start with a Set of Five Reps for both arms. You don't want to get all Gung Hoe or you'll cramp up. When that becomes easy increase to two Sets. Take a short break between sets to stretch your arms. Again when that gets easy add another Set. Eventually you can increase the Reps per Set. This will also help increase your stamina at sanding for Mitch. Getting rid of the "wings" will take time but with persistence it will happen.
    Always nice having a short work week.
    Nice Mirror Frame.
    The Markers might weather off the stones easier.
    If you do need to furnish a small apartment make your purchases through Facebook Marketplace. It will save you big time.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your weekend.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Rick. I trust Kathy has no 'wings' then? :D
      The markers are permanent but I can't spray them with my clear lacquer or the colours run. Painting is the best just more of a challenge to get it right! haha
      Oh, if we needed to furnish, it would definitely be skimpy and cheap. We'd go across Canada before we'd do that though, don't want to commit to a year's lease.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking, also, the load was unbalanced and didn't spin correctly. What a beautiful garden and beautiful sunset. So cute when the chipmunk stopped to listen to you. Smart little critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I believe that is the case but I'm sure Jamie reimbursed her. Donna's garden is pretty and she doesn't do anything with it. :)
      The chipmunk should/could teach Bill how to listen to me? Is that what you're saying? hahaha

      Delete
  6. Did you steal nice round smooth rocks from Big Bay Beach!? I haven't come right out and asked, but I too have bern wondering about what you (and a lot of other full-time RVers) will do this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, is this being recorded? How about I say I borrowed some rocks from Big Bay, okay?
      Yes, lots of concern about the winter and we'll just have to put a few ideas on the back burner until we know for sure what will happen.

      Delete