Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Hump Day is Relevant Again, Little Brother’s Birthday

The Ridge

It was a bit of an odd night for me, in the sleep sense. I’ve told you that I sleep well, 97% of the time. Last night was cooler and I think maybe that is why I woke up a few times. We had laid both of our Arizona blankets on the bed, overtop of us since one isn’t big enough, and that certainly helped to keep me warm at least. Bill doesn’t notice the coolness in the air as much as I do.

Before we get into Wednesday's pictures, this one was missed
from last night
After supper, Bill went out and finished the grass cutting

When I woke up around 3, then 4:30 and then 5:15, I just snuggled closer to the warm body beside me, grateful for a few more hours and then minutes to sleep.  Bill’s alarm went off at 6:15 on Wed. Aug. 19th, and we were coddled and warm. I didn’t want to get out of bed though, brrr, that 11C/57F was quite chilly. Bill was up washing and getting ready for work so I hustled around in the bedroom stripping the bed sheets.

Just this little addition to the bed makes a huge difference on the cool nights

By the time he was making his breakfast, I had made my tea and was on my way out the door. Cleaning day at the Mat and I took two sets of sheets along to wash and dry in town. One set I’d picked up from Value Village so wanted to wash them first before putting them on our bed. They are jersey and will be a bit warmer than the cotton ones we’ve had on.  All was quiet as I let myself into the locked laundromat. Didn’t see a soul.

A pretty pink cloud formation at the end of our lane

A closer look

I was on my way home by 8:15 with clean linens. I relaxed for half hour and then drove over to Mitch’s for 9. I got right back at sanding the hood on the pick up truck. I know he thinks (& tells me) I’m doing a good job but at a few minutes after 11 I needed a break. Well, my arms needed a break so he asked if I’d go into town for a few things. If he went later, it meant locking everything up so gladly I took care of his errands, on his dime.

A full plate for my lunch today
The rye toast and chicken hearts were particularly good

By the time I came back, about 40 minutes tops, he had done the top half of the panel I’d been working on. The same size of area that took me 2 hours to do!! I don’t feel so helpful all of a sudden but he said it is because of his 30 years’ experience and not to worry about it. LOL I had 10 minutes left in my 3 hours so I taped and did a bit of hand sanding around the door until 12 noon. I had received a text message from Gayle that they were at the Acreage so I nipped home and grabbed her coconut oil from Sunday’s Costco trip and drove it over.

We bought a large pineapple at Costco so today I cut it up

It could have waited but the opportunity arose and it was close. Back home, I needed food so I put together a plate with a couple of crusts of rye bread and ate at 1. The coffee was good and would keep me awake as I felt like crashing. Thank goodness it is Wednesday, hump day! Most importantly today, is my little brother’s birthday. Michael is ‘almost’ the baby of the family so I sent him a singing text message. If I’d known 5 of his co-workers in Cold Lake, Alberta would hear it, I might have practiced more! Ha ha


Then, after dishes, I started today’s blog post. The sky is doing almost exactly what it has done over the last couple of days. Well, without the rain. (so far) The sky is blue but heavily dotted with large fluffy white clouds. The temperature changes about 10 degrees each time the sun disappears. I don’t have windows open but the cooler air is coming in through the screen door. I’m going to walk down to the mail box and then probably sit and read my book. It is being neglected.

All sliced and juicy for a snack

I got into my book all right, and the pages were flipping fast and furiously. I needed to devote some time to really get into the Bosch story. The sun was out so I made myself comfortable in the hammock. Good thing I had my poncho wrap with me as that sun disappeared behind a huge cloud. There goes the temperature again! After about an hour, I gave up and came inside. I do believe I had a brief siesta out there too. 😊 Ole!

When I walked down to the mailbox, I crossed to see if the turtles were
out on the log
they were but I'd forgotten my camera

Before coming indoors though, I added some finch seed to the new metal feeder. It had ended up the ground the other day and although not damaged, it was emptied in the process. I made the bed with the clean sheets and then made plans for supper before doing up dishes. My work was done and I sat and relaxed until Bill got home after 5.

Delicious, I need to eat squash more often

We agreed on waiting until 6 to start supper when I fried up some sausage patties. In the microwave, I cooked a piece of pepper squash and Bill ate the last of the macaroni salad. That did us well and it was the best I’ve made. I’ll do it again, just not for a while, too much pasta for me! We did dishes and Bill wandered down to the Hangar to spend some time with his hobby. He turned Wheel of Fortune on for me to watch while finishing my blog. That and Jeopardy are two shows I enjoy even though I’m not great at them.

And of course, the sky clears in the evening
That explains the cooler air tonight again

The evening was quiet and I was happy for that. It seemed like I’d done a lot today and felt tired. Before I sign off for the day – one more thing –

 

 

This picture was a couple of years ago when Michael visited us all
including Mom
I couldn't think of a better one to include

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL!

Thank YOU for stopping in.

10 comments:

  1. I love that picture of Mom and Michael. I sure miss visiting her and seeing that smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a tool to remove the pineapple middle from the "outside skin"? I have a core remover although it is packed away. When we are in Texas, I love how they take care of this for us - and the price is so good!!!
    What a wonderful picture of your mom and brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tool came from Avon but I've seen it in kitchen stores more recently. I love it! Cores like in the picture and slices it too. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Michael! What a wonderful picture of him and your mom! Gosh that pineapple looks so good! I see a nice beach and a good drink in the husking of the pineapple with a cute umbrella! Dinner looks very tasty. I would be loving the cooler temps, if we had them...so ready for FALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a special picture of Mom and Michael. He seldom gets home so it means even more to him. Love her sweet smile. :)
      Here? Not ready for fall!! I hate the cool temps but then, we don't get the heat like you guys do.

      Delete
  4. You've got to love that pineapple corer! It's nice to have a hump day so you can look forward to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh pineapple, yum, and the corer works wonderfully!
      Yes, looking forward to the weekend AGAIN! lol

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photo of your brother and mom. Happy Birthday to Michael.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a stuffed doggy on your bed!.

    ReplyDelete