Sunday, August 2, 2020

Sunday Surprise, A Little Baking, Bill Shovels Gravel, Company!


The Ridge

When I woke up on Sunday, Aug. 2nd, it was from the covers being gently straightened, acknowledgement that Bill was getting up to stay. I peeked at the clock and was surprised that we’d slept until 7. That’s very nice since there was nothing to get us up any earlier. No work today. Outside, the air was cooler, but in a nice way, and it had rained gently off and on overnight. We’d  heard it at one point or another. I was pleasantly surprised that the forecast was a bit off the mark. We expected full on downpours all day.

Rain in the air this morning
Currently, it wasn’t raining but very overcast. There was my excuse not to walk which meant I could enjoy my tea with Bill. Some may think that we’re together a lot of the time, why is it so important to have a cuppa together? Others, like us, just enjoy that beginning start up to the day, even in silence as we check online stuff. For Bill and I, now that he works most days and I walk or work, we seldom have that first ‘moment’ together. We’ll enjoy the holidays!

I’ve said I’m on vacation for 2 weeks but I do have an obligation to Jamie and my cleaning job for the first week. Bill will do one day’s cleaning next week when I’m with LadyFest and it will be an evening clean. Other than that, I’ll go in later on Monday and then Friday night we will go in and clean it together. As long as it is done every couple of days, time is not of the essence. Speaking of which, I texted Jamie this morning to let him know my total hours and invited them out for a drink one day this weekend.

See that? Looks like a happy plant to me!
 Bill went down to work in the cargo trailer, getting it ready to take somewhere this week, if he wants to. When he came back up he made himself some toast and because us girls were talking yesterday about blood pressure, I got our monitor out just for a random check. It has never been an issue for either Bill or I and today was no exception. Right in the optimal range both times. I wanted to bake something, since we were plugged into power today so got out a boxed mix.

And a thirsty plant too
Ken celebrated a birthday on Friday so as per tradition I like to make a cake, pie or cheesecake to celebrate when one of our guests has a special day. Every birthday is special, not necessarily just the decade birthdays. So, I put together some carrot cupcakes for a change. 


Enough to share
I tried to avoid the nutrition facts but glanced at them and then decided to ignore them. I will counter the carbs a wee bit by making an ooey gooey cream cheese frosting.


Babies!
 I cleaned up dishes, made a coffee and then my lunch plate. The salami I picked up yesterday was quite good for a treat, it isn’t something I usually buy. Cute story that is infuriating at the same time. Yesterday, I’d packed a wire cage feeder with a suet cake for our winged friends. The red-winged blackbirds were enjoying it throughout the day. This morning, it is gone. Not just empty, gone. Wha??? I went out to see if it had blown down but it was nowhere in sight. Grrr!


We have a thief! It was clipped on that branch really well but I can see that the branch has been bent. Hmmm. So, it landed on the ground and some smart little rascal has dragged if off over the hill. With my NCIS cap on, I noticed some evidence of a trail directly opposite the tree, over the steep hill, down into the long grass. Chippy or something else?

The salami was a nice change
As we were looking out, we did see a rare sight up here. A bunny rabbit was hopping across the lawn. Oh-oh! I ran up to check my lettuce but it was untouched. Phew! Life is sure interesting and puzzling up here! While up there at the garden, I noticed the beautiful pumpkin flower and lo and behold, some wee little green peppers! I was excited to see that. It’s like the overnight rain had some pixie dust in it or something. The plants all seem to have shot up by inches.

                                                                     A  bunny rabbit up here is rare
                                                                             He must be lost

We weren’t sure what time the Wilson’s were coming but we were expecting them mid-day at the very latest. Sure enough,  before 2 I looked out and saw the motor home coming up the drive. Let the good times roll! 

Arrival 
Bill was there to greet Kim as she stepped out
As soon as I stepped out of the Suite, the light rain started so I ducked under the nose of the fiver until they got backed into their spot. We greeted and then I came inside and made the frosting for the cupcakes.

I do believe 4 are missing
Bill and Ken went to the Hangar
Kim did a bit of setting up and then joined me in the Suite. We chatted as I worked and when the boys returned from the Hangar, we all began Happy Hour. I gave our birthday card and we all toasted and enjoyed a cupcake as a treat. It has been a long time since we’ve all been together in an rv so we enjoyed it until 6 or so.


Happy couple at Happy Hour
The rain outside was off and on, sometimes heavy and yet a welcome rain for the gardens. We were quite comfy cozy inside.  For supper, we’d said if it wasn’t raining, we’d have burgers and salad. It was, so the backup plan was to fry up some mini sausages and I decided on mac and cheese. It was good and Bill had a second cupcake for dessert. After dishes, it felt cool inside so we closed windows.

An indoor meal on an indoor day
Good night everyone!
The evening was quiet and it passed quickly with me working on my blog and Bill watching a movie. This was a good day and I won’t have to water for a while. Bonus! Are you having a nice weekend?

Thanks for stopping in.

11 comments:

  1. Now can you really blame a little bunny from moving into your yard since you've made it so nice and inviting with yummies too. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I suppose I can't blame the bunny for visiting. But i don't have to feed him!

      Delete
  2. Watch out for those bunnies!! They eat EVERYTHING!! I don't know how big your suet hanger was, but I would be surprised if Chippy was big enough to haul it off. Maybe ......
    Your cupcakes look delicious!! Oh for a nice piece of CAKE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked my lettuce that was ready yesterday so he can eat the dirty ones at the ground! haha
      The cupcakes are so good!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow what a great day for you all! Nice to see Kim and Ken again, would hope to see you all this winter. Sure isn't looking good from the sound of it. Keeping my fingers crossed! Those cupcakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to see K & K again in their rig.
      I know, winter plans are looking on the negative side. :(

      Delete
  4. The Suet thief is probably a Raccoon so like the Humming Bird Feeder you will need to bring it in at night.
    To protect your garden from the insatiable appetites of the rabbits you will be needing to make Chicken Wire Canopies. They love greens and can hop over short fences.
    Nice to have weekend visitors.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your get-together.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Marlene suggested that about the hummer feed and the suet feeder too. Once it was knocked off the branch, it was fair game for anyone. LOL

      Delete
  5. Fun times with good friends and cupcakes....priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a lovely weekend. Our youngest son came down with his cat and spent a whole 2 1/2 days with us. It was wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete