Thursday, September 10, 2020

Getting to be a Habit – These Overcast Days, Family Working Together

The Ridge

We were both up between 6:15 and 6:30 on Thursday, Sept. 10th. This is another week that is zipping by without giving us any time to think. We woke to another drizzly damp day with no visual signs of relief or sunshine, my favourite thing. I made my tea and drove into town. I finished at the Mat and had to run to Foodland for a couple of items.

Isn't it nice to wake up to a reward in the morning?
Besides the reward of having another day on this earth, I mean

The first hibiscus bloom - finally
What a beauty!

Before I returned home, I saw that Bill had texted and because of the rain, again, he had the day off. Or so he thought. When I arrived at Mitch’s at 9 and mentioned Bill being off work today, he (we) called him and asked if he wanted to do some carpentry work at Graceland 2. Bill had planned to work on things here at home but was decent and thought it was a good way to show he was interested.

Bill is going to square up this opening and replace the doors
among other things

Mitch is happy to get some things done that he can’t do himself so Bill set to work. Brian also showed up and they both worked in the room where the old Plymouth is. There is a wood stove there too that needs a stove pipe so I’ll have heat when I’m in there. By the way, the 1928 Plymouth’s name is Tommy.

This is where Tommy is sitting until he is ready for painting
I have a lot of work to do before that happens though
Closing the room in better and fixing the wood stove
will make it comfortable for me to work in

They both worked on that while I remained in the main shop/paint area and did more taping and papering on the truck. I made a run into the Home Hardware for some supplies for Mitch and at noon said goodbye for the day. Bill was going to be busy there for the day so came home for lunch with me and returned at 12:30. At home, I made a coffee and fried up peppers, puff ball, kolbasa and onions again. Sprinkled the ‘mess’ with shredded mozza cheese and had tomato on the side. Yum!

My lunch

I set to work getting the dishes out of the way. I suggested ground beef in some way for supper so, before he left, Bill chose Sloppy Joes. Works for me! I never seem to make them the same but I can sure throw something together that he will like. It was coolish outside but the sprinkles had stopped temporarily so I took a walk up to the garden and gathered tomatoes. Inside, I pulled out my tomato relish recipe.

When I drove over to Mitch's (on the right)
it was a foggy damp chilly morning
That hadn't changed much by the time I walked over in the afternoon


I basically wanted to see what spices were required and there were 3 that I needed to add to my grocery list. Probably ones that the Dollar Store doesn’t carry and they can be pricey elsewhere. Oh well. As I was going through this process, Mitch called and asked for half hour of my time. He wanted to be able to pay Bill today for the hours he is working, since he isn’t a regular, so I nipped to the ATM down the highway and got him some cash out.


I came back home and finished up with the spice inventory. The Suite needed vacuuming but I used the broom from the hallway to the downstairs instead. Yes, carpets can be swept and things were so much cleaner after I finished. Instead of sitting in my chair, even though I felt tired from all the running around, I slipped a cold Zero Coke in my jacket pocket and walked over to Graceland 2.

The shovel of petunias up on the hill still amazes me

Bill didn’t have anything to drink since his morning coffee so he’d be thirsty, I’m sure. I hadn’t walked earlier so it felt good to get out. However, it was quite chilly! Bill was pleased with the gesture and explained to me what he was hoping to finish today. Mitch was busy getting the Silverado painted in the other shop so it was a single man’s job at framing and replacing the doors.

And behind the shovel is a tree full of small apples
They aren't the best looking but Donna might be interested
in some for applesauce


I left him to his work and walked back home. Time for a tea! I did let Bill know that if he needed an extra pair of hands to lift the doors in place, to call me. 6 hands are better than 4. While at home, I turned on the Ntl. Geographic channel again and watched programs about dogs and their issues. I find it interesting and the results are always positive or they wouldn’t be showing them on tv.
😊 I like that.

So, sloppy Joe's, my way
Spaghetti squash on the side

Bill didn’t walk in the door until 6:15 but was satisfied that the space for the doors was covered enough to leave it until the weekend. Mitch was pleased with the job and made sure Bill left with 8 hours pay. Hobby cash! I had started cooking the ‘joes’ so finished the meal by toasting his bun and cooking some spaghetti squash for me. Sloppy is a great word and it tasted good. There is enough left for a couple more nights’ meals.

Keto custard and homemade keto whipped cream
Yummy!!

Because Bill worked a long day, I offered to do the dishes. Once they were done, I worked at my blog and then sat in front of the tv with my book. My eyes were feeling very heavy too so I will be lucky if the post gets published tonight. This was a very busy day for both of us, seemed like I was on the go a lot too. It would be really nice if we saw some sunshine tomorrow but I won’t hold my breath.

The day didn't get any brighter than this all day
We are all craving a bit more warmth and sunshine
Good night from the Ridge!

Thank you for stopping around. Your comments are always welcome.

7 comments:

  1. In spite of no sun, you sure got a lot done. Your flowers are fabulous!! I have to admit, it's much nicer to be busy than just sitting around ... and you guys are making CASH in the process!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! Hopefully sunshine today. The hibiscus are gorgeous, I agree!

      Delete
  2. The hibiscus is gorgeous! Not only the size but the color! Nice that Bill can be put to work and he's so good at what he does! Your sloppy joe filling looks awesome! You two are definitely keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice that Bill can pick up work on his own.
    The Flower is beautiful.
    Looks like we might see some Sun tomorrow.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my the hibiscus is gorgeous! Sounds like a good day.

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers all look beautiful....that dessert looked delicious. The picture of the fog driving over to Mitch's place....that's how our air looks only it's smoke and there are places where it's a lot worse. When someone is good at handyman work, word travels fast. Soon Bill might be keeping busy with handyman jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hibiscus has been dug up and I now have it in the house. I really hope I can winter it for a few years. I would save a good chunk of money if that happens.

    I also brought in cuttings of the vines (English ivy and Birds foot) hoping I can get some started for next year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete