Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Hump Day, Rain Interferes with Bill’s Work Day, No Time for Pictures~

 The Ridge

Bill was up and ready for work on Wednesday, Sept. 2nd  at his normal time. The rain had been heavy overnight, off and on, with thunderstorms when I went to bed around 10. I don’t know when they stopped. This morning, I got up at 6:30, made my tea and had to dash to Ptooties at 6:45 to go clean at the Mat. I still got soaked from Suite to car. Good thing it was a warm rain and 20C/68F.


Puddles down the end of the lane when I left for work

The Mat looked quite good, as if Jamie had been in and cleaned but I know he hadn’t. There were 2 washers that had been used for someone’s really dirty clothes. This time of year, gardening, farming or whatever takes place so I wasn’t surprised. I retrieved $7 from a machine and ran each one through a cycle. When I finished cleaning, I waited the last 5 minutes for the spin cycle to stop and checked them out. Much better!

This is a very particular job and time consuming
but on some vehicles it is easier than removing the letters

I finally got the word Silverado finished!

When I returned, Bill was still home, having been notified that because of the weather, he had another day off. Can’t be helped, can’t work outside in the rain. We sat together for the short time I had and then I left for Mitch’s just before 9. Today was an easy day, working inside his shop with the big door open. The white Ford was gone, even with the paint colour the owners were happy enough to pay their bill in full and take it. 😊 That meant a pay day for me too so I was happy. Whether they come back later to get it taken care of is up to them.


This is how I left the truck today

So, I worked on taping and papering for the 3 hours on the Silverado. It is almost ready for painting so I covered the lettering on the tailgate and then we covered the doors. Whether Mitch has it finished and ready for painting tonight is up to him. He works late doing things on it that I can’t do and he can’t do with me there working. I left at noon and came home to find Bill in the Hangar. We were both hungry so I made bacon and eggs. The thick bacon we're eating from Costco is really nice.

I thought this was a hummer from a distance but
clearly, it is a goldfinch

With dishes done, we chatted with Jamie for a bit about more ideas for winter stays. He sees things that I can’t seem to find on line so it is very kind that he has us in mind. When he gave me step by step instructions, I found the ad I was looking for and sent emails off to the owners of a couple of places. It never hurts to ask and things happen for a reason so I’m just showing interest right now in the hopes that something pans out.

That is a lot of weeds from the small area I worked in

After Bill went outside around 2:30, I wasn’t far behind him. I donned my ball cap and garden gloves and headed for the ‘hill’ garden. The one I’ve been messing with since spring, trying to get things (other than weeds) to grow in the sandy, rocky ground. Two hours later, I realized how caught up in it I got. I made good, no I made GREAT progress and was thrilled with my reward. When I got Evening Primrose from Donna and Gayle, they told me it would multiply. ‘Yah, yah, I hope so!’ I said lightly.

But I'm so pleased with the result
There are still open areas for more plants
and obviously more weeding to do this wee
It is fairly easy after the rains

Today, the rewards were plentiful and so are the primrose! I want this garden to be bountiful in good plants and flowers so no grass or weeds can get through. I’m now very hopeful. Once I split and move some of the spreading plants from my other flower garden later this month, I think spring will bring us (me) the garden I’ve worked for with less upkeep for next summer. Fingers crossed. I took some pictures and then walked down the lane to get the mail.

Look at all the baby primrose!
The garden will be full next spring!

When I came inside it was almost 5 so I put a rub of spices on a beef roast I picked up Monday. The sun is out now, mostly in charge of the blue sky, but it wasn’t for most of the day so I’d planned on an indoor ‘Sunday’ type meal. We haven’t had a nice roast in a while so this will be good with all the fixings. (fixin’s) 😊 The recipe doesn’t call for sautéing the meat but I like the scrapings for a tastier gravy so did that anyway.


I made myself a cup of tea while waiting for Madame IP to heat up and washed some potatoes for the pot. I think the roast was bigger than 2.5 lbs so it took 70 minutes in its half-frozen state. With mixed vegetables cooked in the microwave and gravy completed on sauté in the IP, we were eating supper by 6:30. It was very good and we have leftovers for a couple more nights. Bill couldn’t find any horse radish in the fridge so it needs to go on the grocery list.

A hearty supper

After dishes, as in previous nights, Bill walked down to work on his plane. I don’t mind the evenings up here on my own. I get to finish my blog and watch what I want. 

For my last piece of cheesecake I added
choke cherry jelly
That was delicious!

I’ve had 2 responses to my rental queries, one is a definite no and the other one I will call  tomorrow to make an appointment. This has been a busy day for me, working 4 hours this morning and a couple around the property after lunch. I’ll sleep good tonight, again.

If you're up for a chuckle
I hope this gives you one
Good night!

Thank you for taking the time to pop into see what we’re up to.

6 comments:

  1. You are such a hard worker!!! Three jobs!! The garden for you looks great!! At least you get paid for the other two!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, not really but thanks! It sounds good! :D
      The garden is a challenge, the payment is seeing the weeds gone and flowers growing!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a full day of work.
    Wise to inquire now because there might not be anything this Fall.
    Cute Sign!
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day all around and the perfect day to work in the garden.

      Delete
  3. I'm crossing my fingers that you are able to find a good rental for the winter.

    The garden with the primrose will be lovely in the spring. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete