Sunday, September 6, 2020

Tidying Up on the Ridge, Mostly Sunny Sunday, Bird and Turtle Collages

The Ridge

I slept well last night, but then I usually do. The plans we made yesterday helped me when I woke up at 6:30 as I wasn’t stewing about where to look next. The hard decision was made. Instead, when I first stirred on Sunday, Sept. 6th, I focused on the house and started thinking of what items to take and what we wouldn’t need. That was the fun part.

A lot of the day, I was entertained by this spotted woodpecker
I can't remember what kind he is but he was a joy to watch

When Bill woke a few minutes later, we talked a bit about touching base with Susan to go for another viewing with a keener eye for space. We weren’t even sure we’d be living there when we walked through and she asked me to let her know what to leave in the kitchen (our kitchen). Another tour will help answer that question. Bill’s sleep is always interrupted for one reason or another so that didn’t change for him but at least he wasn’t worried about one thing!

Brunch
The sausage patties are a nice change from the links

We’d planned to go to the Mat together today to clean and to do laundry but we didn’t need to go as early as usual. At 8 we walked in the door and set to work. We loaded the 2 machines and went our separate ways doing the cleaning like clockwork. A couple of customers were present, nice men who we chatted with a bit while their machines worked away.


Back home, we didn’t need our morning drink since we’d taken one with us so I went right out and hung the clothes on the line. The sky was light whispery clouds over the sun and wind so they should dry fairly quickly. It was a chilly 8C/48F so I don’t know how it will warm up to 21C/70F unless the clouds move out of the way. Bill did some banking on Quicken since we’d stopped at the ATM machine in town. Moving $$ around is what he’s good at.

Here is again
He spent much of the day working on this tree
He has a bit of red under his beak and on his head but
I couldn't get a better picture without spooking him

We had some brunch around 10:30 since we were both hungry. I fried up sausage patties and eggs. They went down really well and filled us up for the day. Bill went out to do some weed trimming around the Hangar and in the corral so I went out to work on the last section of the hill. It was a good temperature to work outside. I put on my slip-on rubber garden loafers but they didn’t help to prevent me from slipping – often. Still, I persisted and won the battle, eventually.


After finishing with the weeds, I dug up some of the over-exuberant winter geraniums from the big garden and transplanted them sporadically on the hill. It doesn’t take much for them to grow so they should take off in the sandy rocky soil easily enough. I watered them as best I could (it just runs through them to the bottom) and left it for the rain. We’re expecting some overnight.



Bill puttered around at the Hangar and moved his old fire pit ring onto a tree stump he hasn’t been able to pull out. Come hook or crook, he’ll win that battle too, burning logs on top until it catches the stump. 

Burning the stump - underneath all that fire and wood

Walk down the lane

I opened up the Bunky doors and closed the screen but then decided there was nothing out there that I wanted to get into. I’ll have to get my rocks and paints tidied up and decide if I can take them to Paisley or store them in someone’s basement for the winter. Hmmm.

Yup, got the garden weeded


I brought a few of the winter geraniums over
from the big garden

Then, I settled in the hammock and read for a while. I couldn’t seem to drop off but I did enjoy resting and watching the woodpecker attack the tree beside me. The sky eventually cleared but it was an ‘on-off’ day between the sun and white fluffy clouds today. The sun was hot but behind a cloud, I had goosebumps. Funny day. I do think we reached our forecasted high and around 4:30 I brought the clean clothes in off the line.

The chickadee was being very secretive and hid from the camera

Bill came in and went up to the bedroom, turned a movie on and promptly fell asleep. He knew he was tired and I’m grateful he uses the upstairs tv when he knows he’s going to drop off right away. 😊 At a few minutes before 6, I husked the last 2 cobs of corn and prepped the 2 steak that Mitch gave me over a week ago. 

A yummy little treat

Tonight, was the night to give them a try. After lighting the Weber, I sat at my laptop and worked on today’s post with a Vodka Mudshake beside me. They go down toooo well, let me tell you!

The clothes took longer than I thought
so it was 4:30 when I brought them in
We washed the chair covers too so they'll smell nice and
fresh to sit in tonight

Bill did the grilling outside and I cooked the corn inside. The steak, striploin? Sirloin? was absolutely wonderful! It was cooked perfectly and every morsel was delicious. I’ll be able to tell Mitch how much we enjoyed it. We'd just finished up when Gerry and Donna pulled in. She’d found a large puffball on her walk this morning at a farmhouse so offered me some. It was in a campground in Illinois, 3 years ago, that I found some of my own. I'm anxious to fry some up again.

Yertles on a log again, so cute!

We did the dishes up before 7 and then sat for the evening. I’d posted yesterday’s blog around noon hour but Bill told me it didn’t show up on FB – again. Good grief! So, at suppertime, I pushed it onto the social media site. 

And a humming bird made an appearance too
It was a busy nature day!

This was a progressive day with a bit of work and a bit of just hanging out. My mind is a flutter right now but we have over a month before we have to think seriously about what to pack. It is a good 'flutter'. 😀

Delicious supper tonight!
Good night!

Hope you are enjoying your long weekend! Thank you for popping in.

8 comments:

  1. Well you have had a busy several days and with a decision made on what to do if the borders don't open has to be a relief! I keep hoping things will change but time will tell. It sounds as if you may have found the perfect place. I do enjoy the birds, turtles, hummers, and other things you catch in pictures at the Ridge. What a beautiful piece of paradise it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri. We're pretty sure we won't go anywhere even IF they open the borders. It just makes sense this year. :(
      We are enjoying the variety of birds and critters too.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a relief to have a place to stay, but I will certainly miss you guys. Take your rocks and paint ... you may be snowed in!! I love the woodpecker pictures. How fun to watch him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a relief especially now as we feel cooler weather approach. :) October is usually a costly month for propane for us in the Suite so the sooner we move, the better.
      The woodpecker is funny, how he goes around the tree to avoid me.

      Delete
  3. Another way for Bill to have gotten rid of the Stump would have been to bore many holes down into it before starting his fire.
    You'll definitely need Hobbies to stay busy if it is a snowy winter.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Bill did cut holes into the stump. He has been wrestling with it a few times. :) Thanks.
      Good thing I am a hobby gal! I'll be taking them along.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are still feeling good about your decision! The house is gorgeous! Do you have your own entry? Will they be trying to fill the 2nd bedroom? I know I'm so nosey...lol..Your place is gorgeous, always love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. It is a beautiful home, lots of room for us to have privacy when we choose. No, we'll share the same entry through the winter but that's okay, we'll have a key. They won't be filling the 2nd bedroom, that gives them a room for family stay over if they have company. :) At least, that is what I think! :)

      Delete