Sunday, October 4, 2020

Chillin’ with Bill on a Chilly Sunday and My Camera Gets the Day Off Too

The Ridge

When Bill and I woke up on Sunday, Oct. 4th, we knew it was going to be a chilly (cold) day. The forecast for these 3 or 4 days was below 10C/mid to high 40’sF. The day temperature is always made worse by damp weather. Today was a rainy day from beginning to end. No heavy rains, just enough to put the chill into your bones and make you move quickly outside from one destination to another.


We sorted laundry as soon as we got up around 7:30 and headed into Durham for 8. We entered and there were already 2 customers using the machines. I got a sneak peek at what winter cleaning would be like. The floors were dirty with dried mud tracked in. That can’t be helped nor can customers prevent snow from being tracked in on their boots. I’ve never had to deal with that yet at the Mat.

A new author for me

Yesterday morning, I texted Jamie and asked if we could get together at some point over the weekend. He owed me for the month and I wanted to talk to him about our move and the winter ahead. He needs to know what to expect and so do I. He’s coming out at some point this afternoon. Bill and I did some home stuff after putting our clean clothes away. There is lots of chatter between us now about packing and what to take etc.e HHe He He


I will be gathering some boxes from Foodland and wherever I can find them and hopefully this Saturday, we can get the ‘ok’ from Susan and Wes to start taking some things over. Also, Thanksgiving Monday, we could do the same. If they have the bedroom closet empty and the new fridge delivered, that would be helpful. I’ll call her this week one day. We had eggs and fried kolbasa for lunch and then after dishes, Bill braved the chill and went down to the Hangar. This time, he took our small electric heater. 😊

A lovely Sunday meal
Reminds me of Mom's family suppers

I changed the paint colour on my copper art frame. I just can’t decide what will look best. Luckily, I have lots of colours and time to choose from! Eventually, one will do the trick! Around 3, I made a cup of tea. I was finding it hard to get warm today and if it hadn’t been raining, a walk would have been the best thing for me. Two lazy days just aren'’t normal! Bill came up before 3:30 and stretched out on his recliner. As I said, a lazy Sunday.


I’d finished The Brass Verdict and really enjoyed it. I’ll check with John, b-i-l, to see if he has read it before moving it on to the exchange box. Then I headed to our book cupboard to find another one to read. The winning choice is one my sister gave me. Named of the Dragon by Susanna Kearsley. We seem to like some of the same books as does her hubby, Bill and I. We pass Lee Child, David Baldacci and Michael Connelly books back and forth a fair bit.


It was around 4:30 when Jamie drove in and so we had a nice catch up chat. He seems fine with my idea of working at the Mat 3 days a week. I figure Monday, Wednesday and Friday which leaves the weekend for him to do a quick sweep and mop and recycle bin and garbage check. If I can’t make it because of weather OR if there isn’t enough work at Mitch’s to make the drive worthwhile, I’ll keep Jamie informed by text. I’m happy that he is willing to work with that as I enjoy working for him.

Yes, I know it is the french side but the point is
that it is empty

During his visit, I prepped a 3 lb. pot roast and started the cooking process in Madame IP. With potatoes, onions and carrots, this one pot meal will be perfect for a wet cool Sunday night. I’d asked Jamie if he had any maple syrup for sale and so he brought us a bottle of it. He wouldn’t let me pay, which is typical and now I’m paid in full for September’s work. If the snow holds off, I should at least be able to carry on until December.

Good night!

The roast was done to perfection in 60 minutes and after a quick release, the potatoes and carrots were dished up. Supper was wonderful and we cleaned up the last of the Saucy Caramel ice cream. Mine with a banana. They are getting too mushy so the last 3 will go into a smoothie of some sort. I already have some in the freezer for banana bread. (One day). We took care of dishes and sat together to finish off the day. It was a good one.

Thank you for popping by!

4 comments:

  1. Your time to move will be here really soon! What an adventure for you two. Nice you'll be able to work for Jamie and Mitch for awhile. How far are they from where you'll be staying? Dinner looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is the same as the previous commenter - how far of a drive will it be for you? Hope the transition goes smoothly.

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your list of authors that you like, you should take a look at some of John Sanford's books. I bet you will like them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have a do nothing day that you can do something for yourself Once in a while.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete