Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Laying Our Beautiful Mom to Rest

The Ridge

On Monday, Oct. 19th the family met at Elliott-Madill Funeral Home in Mount Brydges, ON between 9:30 and 11 am. With Covid-19 there were mandatory masks during the family visitation at 10 to 11, as well as during the public visitation from 11 to 12 and throughout the funeral service from 12 to 12:45. There were scriptures read by a daughter-in-law and a grandson to Mom.

We drove through familiar towns and villages
on the way to Mount Brydges, west of us by 2 1/2 hours

Three of my sisters were on the ‘roster’ and called upon to relay memories of their childhood and of Mom. I wanted to say something and had written something brief the night before. I’m not good at speeches or talking in front of groups of people for any length of time but I knew if I didn’t get up to read my words, I would regret it. This was my only opportunity.

some open countryside, some harvested
and some yet to be harvested


Our Mom, she was a sweetheart and oh how I'll miss these smiles

The pastor was moving on, forgetting to ask if anyone else wished to say something, in the direction of ending the service. I raised my hand, “May I say something?” My heart by this time was aflutter in my chest, my hands jittery but Bill’s “Go ahead, dear” encouraged me to walk up to the podium. It was short, sweet and from the heart, lasting a mere3, 4, 5 minutes but it felt like forever. 😊  All I know is that when I sat down, I was relieved and happy that I rose. No regrets.

Bridgette, Patrick and Nathan and I
Nathan's first funeral and I'm happy that it was his Great-Grandmas
He was really brave at 11

The procession to our vehicles and then to the cemetery just in the next block followed. Seven siblings, my brother’s widow and a niece individually laid sunflowers on the casket. As my daughter called her from an early age, Grandma Sunflower was being laid to rest in style. This was a difficult day yet things fell into place and with the support of family and four of our (Bill’s and mine) very dear friends, we made it through.

No sad faces, this was a celebration of Mom's life

We had lunch delivered from a local restaurant and were allowed as much time as was necessary in a room all to ourselves. The expanse of food was overwhelming but I neglected to take a picture of it. I did ask someone to take a couple of pics of Bill and I a well as one of me with my children. We left for home around 3 and it was close to 5:30 when we arrived at our Paisley ‘digs’, as everyone calls it.


I laughed at these wild turkey's crossing in front of us
Bill had to slow right down but look closely at their little legs!
Teehee, I needed that laugh right about then too!

Somewhere on the way, this interesting 'store/home' front
Love the old cars

And at a turn in the road, this small southwestern looking building
drew our attention

We had some of the food delivered on trays for supper and we gathered with our hosts for Jeopardy and an evening of oldies on tunes on the big screen. We came to bed around 9:30. This has been a busy time and it isn’t over yet. I’ve obligated myself to work on Tuesday and Thursday morning this week back in Durham and that isn’t a bad thing. It is a good thing to be occupied right now. I’m sorry for the delay in writing but I know you understand why.

Because the flowers would go to waste, most of the ladies at the cemetery
helped ourselves to some fresh beauties to take home

Good night and Rest in Peace, Mom💝💝

Thank you all again for your sincere support throughout our sorrow and thank you for following along.

Ps – I have linked the website of the funeral home only if you wish to hear some of the words spoken on behalf of Mom. Click on Obituaries, Marjorie Snelgrove and the link at the bottom.

16 comments:

  1. A well planned event, you did good Patsy your mother would be proud of you.I hope you rest well and deeply when you can. I will keep you in my prayers until you are feeling "normal" again. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is appreciated, thank you for your support, Mary.

      Delete
  2. Well, planned. In looking at the photo of your Mom, I would say that your daughter gave her Grandma the right name. Her smile is a ray of sunshine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love that picture of your mom in her hat. You could not have picked a better one!! I'm sure your mom is proud you stood up and talked.
    That southwest building would make a great quilt store!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? :)
      Thank you Nancy and yes, a great quilt shop!

      Delete
  4. How cute Grandma Sunflower..that would make me smile every time I heard it! Love the picture with your kids and of course Bill. As hard as it was I'm glad you got up and spoke coming straight from the heart. Hugs Patsy. I love the pic of your mom in that hat. Such a beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridgette wrote her own blog post that had me in tears, spoken from her heart and her memories of Grandma and Grandpa Sunflower. Thank you, I wish I was better at speaking to an audience but in a way, it made me search down deep for courage, which I found for Mom.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures and a fitting send off to your Mom.
    Be Safe.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos of your family and the one of your mom. She certainly had a beautiful smile. I'm glad you were able to speak in remembrance of your mom.

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maebeme. It's good to push ourselves to do certain things that are important to us.

      Delete
  7. Hi Patsy

    I am a long time reader, but first time commenter. I read three blogs daily, and yours is one of them. I appreciate your honesty with the ups and downs of life, your optimistic outlook on things, and your love of family.

    I was struck by the heartfelt tribute you gentley spoke to your Mom. I believe that she will be with you in all those moments as well

    You have a lot of support from friends and famaily, and they will be there for you during your healing process.

    Your Mom's smile can light up a room, and I am sure she is smiling on all of us now

    ( BTW - the link in your text today does not work, but that is EASILY overcome by a quick Google search for anyone wanting to hear the heartfelt tributes )

    Hugs to you and Bill and your entire family... Trent ( and Teresa )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trent and Teresa. Wow, thank you so much for writing a comment. It is nice to 'meet' you both! I am honoured that you read my blog as one of your 3 and thank you for the kind words.
      Family was important to Mom without her being overwhelmingly in our 'faces' at any time. She ruled our large family with a gentle iron fist (oxi-moron?) when we were all young but softened over time to loving us strong and hard from a respectable distance. :) If that makes sense.
      Mom's smile has been passed down to all of us 8 children and if anyone ever sees a scowl or frown on my face when I'm not paying attention, I hope the poke me for her! haha
      Sorry about the link, you can't test it in 'preview', I don't think. Thanks for taking the time to watch it.
      Hugs accepted from a respectable distance! :)

      Delete
  8. What can I say that hasn't been said. The picture with the hat.... beautiful. Grandma Sunflower....so appropriate....sharing the flowers so they don't go to waste....good thinking and generous ....getting up to speak....very brave and strong...qualities you inherited and learned from your parents. God bless....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed this until now, Elva. Thank you, you've said more than you think. I loved your comment my sweet friend. :)

      Delete