Monday, October 12, 2020

Wild Windy Holiday Monday

The Ridge

The long weekend continued on Monday, Oct. 12th  with us getting up around 7:30.  By choice, I didn’t need to get into the laundromat before 8 so that was nice. When I stepped in the door, my first impression was ‘what a mess!’ Leaves had blown in the back door and customers had left dryer sheets all over the place and scrap papers etc. The floors were so dirty that I swept them first before doing anything else. Usually, sweeping is the 2nd last job.

My first picture of the day was in Durham
as I was turning the corner to the Mat

Underneath all that floor clutter, the tile was actually pretty clean so I didn't need to damp mop, saving me some time. Only one customer came in for the whole wash and dry process and two others came in to use the dryers only just before I left. I had our 2 loads of laundry to do as well, our last time this winter. My plan was to finish at the Mat and then go visit Mom but when I texted sibs to inform them, three of them had already decided to be at Rockwood for 9 and 10. No point in me waiting around or rotating, so I came home.

Before going home after seeing Mom, I stopped at McGowan Falls
in Durham

My phone camera was all I had
but that didn't stop me


After dropping off the laundry and having my first cup of tea, I returned to Durham to have that visit. Two sisters had left and Cathy was alone with her in her room. We sat together from 11 until 11:30 or so when she headed home too. Cathy is 45 minutes away so it isn’t as easy for her to just ‘pop’ over like it is for me. We got a peek-a-boo when Mom opened one eye after the nurses gave her a wash and that was an opportunity for me to speak directly to her. I believe she heard me talking and eventually she closed her eyes and went to sleep.
😊 

It was peaceful and just what I needed

I wish I'd taken a picture of the cute couple who arrived as I was leaving
They were cuddling together, watching the falls
I couldn't resist and asked if they'd like a picture together
My timing was perfect, she was delighted to
inform me that it was their 7th anniversary
They were adorable and very appreciative

While there, I took the time to clean out her dresser drawers of books that she'd gathered. Disposing of envelopes, napkins and sugar packets was a start. I returned home around 12:45 and Bill was away with Gerry. They had a job to do, taking Gerry’s Acreage ‘scooter’ home to Hanover. They’d borrowed Rob’s utility trailer for the job and that was very much appreciated.  We’d first thought today would be another day to take a load over to Paisley but there was other stuff going on that took precedence. With Mom’s situation, things are kind of in limbo as I want to be close by.

McGowan Falls
A yearly picture, or so it seems!

At home, I went through my clothes closet and have made major decisions on what to take and what to leave. That was a huge step. I still have 2 drawers to go through and pack but they will be last minute choices. I went out to the Bunky and packed a few more things before bringing the sheets in off the clothesline. We’ll need these queen size flannel sheets for our bed in Paisley. We decided to take our own bedding and pillows.

Fresh Meal #2

Looks good

Tonight, it was another Hello Fresh meal so I got those things out and read through the recipe. Bill was home by 3 and relaxed in his chair watching Chasing Classic Cars. This is one of his car shows that I don’t mind, mostly because there is no ‘fake’ tv stuff. Wayne is pretty down to earth and follows through by taking the cars to auctions or shows. We’ve both had a busy day, enjoying a day off work. Time is sure flying by though and soon we’ll be putting the push on to get moving. Literally. 😊

To the west, some sun dropping in the semi-darkening sky

Sky (and brilliant pond area) to the north

To the southeast
The sky looked much darker than this in real life

From inside looking out to the east

Supper was Almond Crusted Chicken with Sweet Potato Maple Mash. Quite a ‘fancy’ meal for us. The biggest upset on this meal was that the vegetable was supposed to be green beans, with instructions how to fry them and the packet contained snap peas instead. Hmmm. Not a big deal except I boiled them a little too much making them very soft. The chicken was good as was the potato so it was certainly not a disappointment. Will I make it again? Not likely, Bill didn’t care for the coating on the chicken and I don't usually spend that much time preparing a meal.

I didn't mean to but it was placed the same way on the plate
as the picture above

Good night!

We had dessert, rhubarb/strawberry pie for Bill and a piece of cheesecake for me. I probably shouldn’t have eaten so much as I’m too full now. After dishes, we sat and relaxed for the rest of the evening. I hope you had a nice day in your neighbourhood. The winds today were wild, especially in late afternoon. Our anemometer, if we still had it up, would be whipping around like crazy today!


Thank you for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. Dinner looks yummy. I'm with you though, that's too much time spent cooking. Funny you didn't get the green beans. Those certainly are gorgeous "color" pictures. What a view!! Happy packing ... you'll be moving soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, I like things to be simple not fancy, I guess. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice that you are able to spend extra time with your mom while still accomplishing chores and your jobs.
    Like yourselves we had a subdued Thanksgiving and High Winds.
    Nice Pictures of the Scenery. Well staged picture of the food.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the season.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fall photos even if the sky is dark and gloomy. We've got sunshine but cool temps here today, perhaps it will move your way soon.

    I'm sure your mom is aware you're there. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. We can only hope and pray that Mom knows. :)

      Delete
  4. It was a wonderful day up here, sunny and warm by mid-afternoon. Friends visited and we sat outside on the patio in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like the Hello Fresh meals? I have heard varying reports on them.

    It has been windy here for the last few days and now they are talking about the "S" word.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've only had 2 and so far, I know I won't make them again. I'm glad to have tried the turkey burgers though, I'd never have done that without the Hello Fresh gift. :)
      That dirty word is going to have a lot more meaning to us this year than the last 4! Yikes!

      Delete