Sunday, November 15, 2020

Power Outages and Rain – Thats the Main Story of this Sunday

Paisley, On

Again, Sunday, Nov. 15th, sleeping in until 7:30. We weren’t the only ones. I think it is the first time since we moved in a month ago (a month ago!) that I was the first one downstairs. Wes and Susan weren’t up yet. I made our tea and coffee and brought them upstairs around 8:15 and the power (hydro/electric) went out by 8:30. Phew! Just made it! Today, I am also reminded that it has been a month since we said goodbye to our beautiful Mom. I'm not feeling sad, knowing how hard it was to see her that way, though we do miss her presence in our lives. 

   
I believe I received another message from Mom today
as I was reading
Her birthday is April 17th and my middle name - Irene
I often get messages from Daddy in the pages of my book
so this is no surprise. Thanks Mom!πŸ’•


We’d been warned about the possibility of power outages due to the high velocity winds forecasted for today. When Wes got up soon after, even though we were able to use his 12-volt light system, he put their generator on so they could make their own coffee. The rain on our upstairs window was more than a clue that I wouldn’t be walking this morning so resigned myself to that fact. Whether it let up all day, was anyone’s guess but it didn’t look too promising.

There wasn't much change from this view all day
It was a good day to be inside

Bill and I had our brew while reading blogs (on battery power) and then when we were able to, we made our second drink of the day around 10. It was dull outside so even the light from a window wasn’t much to read from but we managed for a while. We like to conserve as much as the next person so on genny power, we put our pillows at the bottom of the bed with our books.


Having finished the 'Tea' book last night during commercials while watching Holly & Ivy, the Christmas movie, with Bill, I started one Susan loaned me. By James Campbell, The Final Frontiersman caught me within the first few pages. A story of a man from Wisconsin who moved to the resort location of northeastern Alaska to make a new life with an Eskimo wife and two daughters. I was curious to find out “why?” anyone would want to do that, so we’ll see how it goes. No sun for weeks, months? Not this gal.

As you can see, with our view of the window, the light
was better at the bottom of the bed

At noon, Bill looked out and the street lights were back on so when I went down to make us soup for lunch, I informed Wes. Yay! πŸ˜‰ He made the switch from generator to normal power and we carried on. Joining at the table for our individual meals, tomato soup for us and grilled cheese for them, we had a good conversation, as usual. The talk was mostly about wind experiences of which we each had some to share.


After dishes, Bill made his lunch for Monday and we came upstairs. He is almost finished his J.A. Jance book and that was his goal today. I’m watchful of the weather, with wee hopes to get these legs outside for a walk and to get some fresh air. The wind must be from the southwest as it is to be a warmer day than the last couple. 11C/52F is pretty nice, really, at this time of year. Instead of getting into my book after lunch, I decided to get out my cross-stitch and see if I could accomplish a few stitches.

I couldn't do both at the same time so when my arm got tired, I read
and visa versa

Well, that was the plan when I wrote that. However, I went to the closet where our ‘things’ are and the first thing I saw was my bag of wool. Hmmm, I had a couple of crochet projects in mind so got that out instead of the cross-stitch. Crocheting doesn’t need as much light or as much concentration. 😊 I crawled up on the bed and began with a chain stitch while I debated what to create. No doubt there will be a tear-out or two so it is best to start slow.

Shall we gather in our little kitchen, dear?
It is small but it works well for us

Bill sat at his laptop YouTubing while I alternated between the book and the yarn. The outside weather was not getting any better, winds whipping to stupid speeds and rain battering the window pane, so I’m glad I’d found something to do inside that I enjoy. I’m also grateful to be here with my sweetie. Before we went downstairs at 5:45 to start supper he said something that made me sad but glad, at the same time, that we are on the same wave-length. “I wish we were elsewhere in our Suite”.πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“

Bill cooks the potatoes

I do the fish

Bill cooked the hash browns in our Fry Daddy and I fried the fish in a pan on the stove. They both came out perfectly! 

And everything came out great, at the same time

When dishes were done, we came up and he hopped in the shower. Another movie night starting at 7 for my 3 housemates so I should get a fair bit of reading and/or crocheting done. No distractions. Well, I think I'll try calling at least one of my children.😊 Even though we were stuck indoors today, it was a wonderful day. We take them as they come and are grateful for each and every one.

and a chocolatey dessert with whipping cream

Good night!

As I close this post, I am thinking of my sister, for one, who has been without power since 1:30 this afternoon. A wood stove to keep them warm and a cold sandwich for supper proves that we have all learned to cope with what comes our way. Sleep well, Cathy and Bill!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to pop by!

20 comments:

  1. It's good that Wes and Susan have alternative electrical power sources. I'm glad you and Bill were both off work together,rainy days can be cozy times to tuck inside together. Wow, this past month has flown by! - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies when you're having fun, right? So, even though we're not doing 'much', we must be enjoying ourselves! Ha ha

      Delete
  2. Do you reuse the oil in the Fry Daddy? And if you do, do you refrigerate it until the next time? Or do you use fresh new oil each time? How do you dispose of the oil when you are done with it? Many questions. I like the taste of fried food but the oil stops me from using it. TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking questions is oft the only way we learn. :)
      Because I believe in the keto high fat content 'diet', we use extra virgin olive oil or lard in our Fry Daddy. We just leave it in the FD in between uses, not in the fridge. We probably get more uses out of it than we should but when too many food particles (we only fry potatoes in it) drop through the basket we empty it. Funny you ask that as Bill just last night said that we'll dump it into a waxed cream carton. If I have room, I freeze it and then it goes in the regular garbage. Canola oil is a no no in our world. :)

      Delete
  3. I love days where I can't go anywhere. Seems so relaxing to me.

    Looking forward to seeing what you are going to crochet with that lovely yarn.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those days are not just reserved for Sundays, as they used to be classed as a day of Rest. :)
      You might not be surprised at the yarn creation. haha

      Delete
  4. I rather imagine you'll have many more days like this. Hoping your power doesn't go out though. What a cute little kitchen. Bigger than your RV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't remind me!! haha I agree about the power though since they have no propane stove like we do in the Suite.
      Not much bigger than the rv, but everything jammed in here. Susan has left some of her stuff in there too as she didn't have room in her big house to store it! I can't believe all the 'stuff' they have! Glad we have downsized. :)

      Delete
  5. We waited to watch "Holly and Ivy" until Sunday. Even the outcome brought back happy and sad memories that affected our lives.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy staying warm.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wes and Susan weren't keen on the sad story but we told them it wasn't that bad so I think they may watch it next time.

      Delete
  6. God bless generators. I'm interested in your new book since I follow many Alaskan shows. I thought northeastern Alaska consisted of only the preserve which is protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read your comment about the book you are reading, I thought of Heimo and Edna. They spend the winter in the preserve. I just looked up the book and it's about Heimo and Edna!!! They are awesome awesome people. It's a true love story but like all of us they have experienced sadness. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Are you for real???? Who, what, how!? are you familiar with Heimo and Edna? That is so cool. I'm enjoying the book although I admit to skipping pages that get too detailed about the history. I just want to fall into his story. It is a very strange obsession he had for wanting to live there but unbelievably cool that he has made it work and raising a family there. Wow! Thanks for sharing that! I'm not sure what the 'preserve' is, maybe it is part of what I skipped?

      Delete
  7. Yep, generators save the day for sure! Seems like days last longer when you're confined, as long as you enjoy it! Dessert looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for the generator. Otherwise it would get a bit chilly I would think.

    The books sounds very interesting. Enjoy your crocheting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the generator and wood stove are quite necessary. :)
      I'm getting into the book, a great story.

      Delete
    2. I don't think you'll be surprised by the crocheting project, either. :)

      Delete
  9. We had the same kind of weather but we didn't lose power, which is a surprise. Like you and Bill, we too wish we were elsewhere but it just wasn't meant to be this year. I'm sure the desert will be wide open with lots of good camping sites available this year. We will have to just watch it through the eyes of our friends as we Canadians sit here wishin, an' hopin', and wishin' an'.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we take the days as they come and are glad to have lived another day.

    ReplyDelete