Thursday, November 5, 2020

Spring Has Returned! Or Fall is Very Confused.

Paisley, On

In reference to my title, either way, when we woke up on Wednesday, Nov. 4th to 9C/48F with an expected high of 20C/68F, I felt rewarded. Big time. Bill was up and on his way by 6:30. He had a mixed up, muddled up start though. LOL, maybe he needs a break from working!! 😊 He was downstairs, dressed for work, work boots and all and realized he forgot his keys. Double LOL.

A much nicer drive this morning!

He walked back upstairs in his boots with hard caked mud in the soles and then asked me to have a look once it was light enough to check if any dropped on the hardwood floors. Well, I was getting ready for work myself so I retraced his steps from our bedroom down the stairs to the back door. Yup, a mouse could have found his path had it been food! So, I got a broom downstairs and swept the hall, down the stairs, the hall down there.


Wes came out of the office wondering what I was doing. Caught! Ha ha. He helped me finish up and I got myself out the door in lots of time. I should have dawdled because I was down the road a few miles when Bill texted. Had I left yet? He forgot his wallet. My goodness! He doesn't drive more than 10 minutes morning and afternoon so said not to worry. 

These bottles are empty
I found them at the laundromat, behind the toilet
Good grief!
If they'd been full and unopened, I'd have been quite happy
I did find a dime on the floor 'from Daddy'

For me, this was a much better drive than the last one and I actually arrived in Durham too soon. When I got to Mitch’s, it was 15 minutes early so I left at 11:45. It was a good morning there, still sanding where he putties and some of the same spots over and over. Old vehicle, lots of work needed.

On the way home from Durham, I stopped at Murray's
where we store our things
Rob's trailer on the left, Murray's plane (soon to be playhouse for the grands)

At 10:30, we went back to the gravel pit and picked up another load of wooden pallets that Mitch uses for firewood. Alex saves them for him. We’ve done this before and now have it down to a science. Me up in the truck and he hands them up to me. When we get back, he doesn’t need me to help unload so I set back to work on Tommy. He thinks we’ll be able to start painting next week, unless ‘his worker keeps taking time off’. Ha ha

This is where the Saugeen flows behind Murray's
(the bridge you see is awesome but closed to traffic now)

The sun's reflection on water can never be downplayed

Approaching, you can hardly see the building back in the trees


My hubby works

The laundromat wasn’t too bad but I gave it a good cleaning while chatting with a nice lady about my age. Weather, the election and she was very complimentary about how clean the Mat is and what Jamie has done to spruce it up. That’s always nice to hear on both counts. I left there and headed to the Esso station to fill Ptooties and then next door to the Water Store to fill my bottle of RO water.


Murray's barn for stored vehicles, his and other customers
Rob's red truck catches your eye and Bill's traler on the far side of it
Tucked away safe and sound

As I was approaching the road where we store our vehicles (Rob's and ours), I turned onto it and went to visit. Why, you ask? Well, Bill and Mike’s crew are building an insulated Bunky down in the trees, along the Saugeen River. Too bad they didn’t do this a month ago, we’d pay Murray to stay there!


Through the trees, you can see the Bunky frame

😊 No worries, we are happy. Bill was surprised in a good way to see me drive in and I got a first hand look at the 3 of them working. What a nice spot in the back corner of Murray’s property. I stayed for a few minutes, nabbed one of Barb’s (Murray’s wife) oatmeal cookies and scooted home.

I didn't venture too close but look at the white belly on this little gray squirrel
He was happily eating the nuts

It was such a gorgeous day that I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon in town. After unloading my stuff, I told Susan I was going out and would pick up the mail on my way back. I think I was gone close to an hour. I found the old train bridge but not sure if it is accessible to walk on as I was on ground level. 

FYI - purple arrow = Wes and Susan's rental building attached to the house,
the front two windows are to their son's rental apartment
orange arrow = our bedroom, beside the ladder
green arrow = Ptooties is parked, Black Beauty parks in front
Wes parks his van beside Ptooties and Susan's Mini (MaryJane) beside the rv
Their son and his girlfriend park in front of the rv

Looking face on at Wes and Susan's home
I promised you a picture of the former Porteous Bank
Previous to their 15 yrs ownership, it was the former bank,
watch maker and lastly, Susan rented it out as an Ice Cream shop

I. Shoemaker was the owner's name
and he was a watch maker
Seems to me he missed his calling?

Peeking in the window of the rental bulding
You can see the original bank vault on the back wall

Also, the Mill which you can bet will be investigated. It was open but I didn't have a mask or scarf on me. What a cool building! I came home to find Wes sneaking in on Susan He usually lets her know he’s on his way, as Bill does, but wanted to surprise her. He definitely did! Most of the mail was for us which was funny.

The Cenotaph again, as we approach Remembrance Day

A lilttle more history on this plaque
Have any of you read her poetry? She died so young!

In the Legion garden

On the Legion wall
There is no shortage of these plaques all over the town

I made myself a coffee this afternoon since I’d had 2 tea already today. Upstairs, I started this post, checked on the registered letters I sent last Thursday to a couple of sibs and then relaxed with a new book. I finished The Secret Daughter last night in bed and I really enjoyed the story. It was a lovely book to read. If you ladies are looking for a good book, give it a try.

I sauntered along Mill Road, taking me out of Paisley in a different direction
West, I think

Care for a seat anyone?

Now, I’m going to work on one called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. The reviews are mixed as it is supposed to be ‘real-life’ of which there is dispute. Never-the-less, other reviews give it a thumbs up for a very good, well-written story with experiences of yet more cultural lessons. I’m keen for that, whether it is non-fiction or not. I will keep you informed as I go along!

Walking out Mill Street/Road I walked under the infamous
train/trestle bridge

I have to say my jaw dropped at this monstrosity!

Now, I have to figure out how to get up there

Bill was home by 5:30 and rested upstairs beside me while I read through the flyers. At 6, I went down and Madame IP prepared Honey Garlic sausages and I warmed up some of the leftover rice and chow mein. There is so much rice left that I think it will go into the freezer for another time, when we need a change again. Supper was good and we each had a custard cup. Yum, it is always so good.

Then my interest was peaked even more when I saw the Mill

You can bet I'll be back to enter this bit of history



And from the west end of the Mill, it looks a tad spooky through the trees

We did dishes, Bill made his lunch and we came upstairs to do some banking. Things have improved for us now, thanks to Mom and we were able to get a jump on our finances. It is sad though that she never really had an opportunity to benefit herself from her investments and never really understood that she was doing so well. 😊 Bless her heart, still looking after us all.

Of course there is another bridge here, over the Teeswater River
which runs behind the Mill

There is a path down to the water and this delapitated shack
but it looked too steep without a walking stick

I returned to main street, to the post office and home
What an exciting walk!

The rest of the evening was quiet. We may go down and watch some television or we may stay upstairs with our books. I’m feeling tired from the day so probably won’t be up too late. This was a good day and the fall weather under the guise of spring was absolutely welcome and wonderful!!

Supper was delicious and that cleans up the chow mein
We enjoyed the different taste of the honey garlic sausage
for a change but still prefer the mild Italian

Good thing the custard comes in small dishes
as I could eat and eat and eat it
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with the community you're living in. I love the idea of the history being so evident as you walk. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    I've read the Secret Daughter and definitely did enjoy it. Lately I haven't been reading much though I expect as the weather gets colder I'll get back into it. Today is our final expected day of near summer with a high of 21C forecast. I'll definitely spend some time outside enjoying it.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed too with the town's attention to this stuff. I'd like to try and pick up the booklet for my own. :)
      I always have a book on the go but seem to only read at night and then not much as I'm so tired. If the book is good, I can keep at it longer. :)
      Yes, enjoy the warm weather. I sure am!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the new finished bunky..Looks very nice! I've read the book too..great story! Love your new adopted town! Those buildings are incredible! Can't wait for you to visit the Mill. Love those windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Just the houses here are fascinating to me. Even the ones that look 'dilapidated' interest me now.
      The Mill is an awesome structure, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Both books are good reads. I enjoy books which give me a peek at other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know, thanks for the review on The Three Cups of Tea. :)

      Delete
  4. Really enjoying thee history lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful blog entry tonight with the great photos of the town and buildings and the historical plaques. Thank you!!
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete