Friday, October 22, 2021

Chilly Day

The Ridge

Well, they said it was going to happen and when we woke up on Friday, Oct. 22nd, it was indeed cold. 4C/39F is all that our thermometer was reading. That was night #4 for Gibbs with his cone on and I can’t get over the resilience of pups. I expected the worse case scenario, which is bad of me, but I thought it would keep him awake and us. I’m happy to say I was wrong, he has settled quickly and slept through the nights.

Gibbs and I cuddled together
with the fireplace warmth

Bill was up and off to work this morning to the work site down the road again. Gibbs and I lazed, too wimpy for a walk today. Later, I regretted that decision, I should get used to the colder temperatures gradually and then I’ll be even more than pleasantly surprised when we hit the mild ones in the Midwestern states. 😊

Now isn't this impressive?
Especially with Black Beauty parked in front of it!

I was going back and forth with my sisters again this morning and I glanced at an email with the BizyBee auction invoice. Oh yah! I did win the bids on two items so although it wasn’t over 15$, I could either go today or Sunday to pick them up. I slipped Gibbs’ coat on him and we went for a short walk and then hopped in Ptooties. Today was the best day. We set out just after 10.


The brilliant Baptist Church Rd dresses are fading

I was almost to Hanover (10 minutes from my destination) when Bill called about bringing something to their site for them. After getting my things, (I love them both!) I popped back to the Ridge to get a fire ignitor and our recycle bin of cardboard. They were burning wood and we could also get rid of a heavy dampish load rather than lug it down the lane for pick up on Monday. What a sight to behold from the road! As I got close, I beamed at the beautiful red structure. 😊

Gibbs was happy to have his coat on today

On my way back home, I stopped at M’s to drop off 2 chair cushions from Dollarama. Two went on the white chair I painted and he had the first one I got him on another chair. We were testing the volume on his phone when I realized that I couldn’t send or receive a text because there was no network connection. What the? That’s very odd so back at home, I turned it off and on again. That old adage is true, it worked. Still weird.

One of my auction purchases
I've always wanted a set of these little
Russian dolls

Gibbs was tired right out from the ride. I leave his leash on and give him enough free reign to look out the windows. It is obvious that it tired him out, all that supervising! While I made a coffee, wrapped another gift and warmed up my soup, he moved from my chair, to his bed on the couch and then finally up to our big bed. He seems fine now to jump up and down so I’m not so worried.

And my second purchase was a new
8 cup mixing bowl for $4
My old faithful is a Tupperware one that I've
had for at least over 30 years!

I mentioned earlier that I’ve been chatting with my sisters. We are getting a head start on a change-up for next year’s LadyFest and it’s exciting! You’ll have to wait and see though, if it comes to fruition. A job that was on our list was to update our Contact Information (in case of emergency). We’ve had to make a change to our POA/Executor so wanted to get that taken care of and distributed to the appropriate people before we leave. I worked on that and will check that I didn’t miss anything when Bill gets home.

This little guy was worn out, it seems
and found many comfy places to sleep

Bill came up the lane as I was finishing dishes and because Billy was hooked up to the work trailer today, he followed closely behind with Cody and Darrin. They greeted Gibbs and Billy thanked me for the baby gift for their little River. 😉 Stacy will open it tonight and I hope they are okay with the clothing items being for a few months down the road. In my opinion, new babies always get an overabundance of 1 – 3-month items and they grow out of them so fast.

This tree is laden with more apples
but most are pock marked

I skipped my tea today because I got involved in cutting up the 7 large apples I’d gathered from our tree. I wasn’t sure what I’d find when I cut into them but it was a pleasant surprise! Only ½ an apple wasn’t usable. I peeled and sliced them up into two baking pans and proceeded to make a Keto Apple Crisp. My weight is rising slowly so I want to enjoy a dessert that doesn’t add anything else around my belly. 😊

Fingers crossed for a good batch
of apples

Bill and Gibbs snoozed in the chair and I couldn’t help but notice today, especially, how calm the pooch has been all day. Other than his excitement upon seeing people, including us, jumping and barking, maybe this is how he will be moving forward. There are still lessons to be learned but he hasn’t sat with me all day, has basically entertaining and sleeping on his own. I like this new development.

This was the only bad spot I found
Yay!

At 4, we all piled into Black Beauty and drove over to the Acreage to get a bladder full of water. Donna and Gerry were going to be out there for a couple of hours packing up a few more things for their season closing. It’s too cold for them to stay out, they have a warm house to return to. Bill and I truly love the camping life and with our heaters and furnace, we make sure we are plenty comfortable. 

It reached 5C/41F today and going down to freezing tonight before it starts to warm up a bit again. We admit to not enjoying ‘camping’ in below zero temps too much! We have two more weeks here and will be able to obtain water from the Acreage well until the end of the month when they work with Bill to close things off. Donna and I chatted inside their Landmark while she packed some clothes or at least talked about packing clothes. It was nice and warm with their furnace on.


I was hopeful but they didn't look much different
after 30 minutes of cooking

Back home I started cooking the apple crisp. Well, it has pecans, sugar and butter as it’s only topping so I wasn’t expecting miracles. Good thing, because the apples weren’t done after the required 30 minutes. I coated 4 chicken thighs in bread crumbs and air fried those in Rosy, boiled 2 potatoes for mashing and cooked some veggies for each of us. I then put the apple dish back in the microwave. It just isn’t turning out as I’d thought.

The drive back to Donna and Gerry's trailer
and the water well

Supper was tasty and we finished the chocolate pudding for dessert. Gibbs and I went out for his ‘after dinner’ walk and this time it was successful. He just wanted to play ‘chase’ with his rubber bone so Bill entertained him while I worked on my blog post. Then Bill asked ‘THE’ question: “Are you up for our first Christmas movie?” I didn’t hesitate with my emphatic ‘NO!’ but since it was a new one, I told him to put it on. I could always go upstairs if it was too much. I wonder if our friends, Susan and Wes, are watching it? 😊

I think Rosy makes these thigh the absolute
best of any cooking method

This was a good day even though the temperatures drastically changed. Oh well, just 2 weeks to go! 

Bill keeps saying that he's Momma's boy
He waited by the door for 30 minutes when
Daddy was still outside 💖
I believe he just wants both of us inside with him.
Good night!

Thank you for taking the time to see how we’re doing.

12 comments:

  1. I love Gibb's coat, and I would definitely be up for a Christmas movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs doesn't mind his coat now but the first day it was funny. He does get hot inside though so tries to get it off. :)
      You and Bill would make a great pair! haha I wonder if Mr. Maxxtrails likes them too?

      Delete
  2. He's such a good pup. So glad that he got over his surgery so well. What a little trooper.♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree, he really is a good little guy. We're so lucky twice.♥

      Delete
  3. Love the Russian dolls, they're so colorful! Gibbs sweater and your socks look so comfy, perfect for the warmth! Apple crisp looks yummy, hopefully a little more cooking :) Dinner looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Russian dolls have always appealed to me. :)
      I need my feet to be warm and the slippers I got at Giant Tiger do the trick!
      The apple crisp turned out okay after all.

      Delete
  4. Gibbs has certainly brought a lot of joy into your life. I'm sure Clemson would approve.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say. Yes, Clemmy approves. They are the same in many ways but also different in others. ♥

      Delete
  5. Gibbs has a lovely coat. It will keep him toasty warm while the weather is chilly.

    It does take longer than 30 minutes to cook apples. I usually cook my apple crisps at least 45 sometimes longer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs says thank you. ;)
      I should have known that but the recipe said 20 minutes and since I was using a convection oven...........live and learn, right? Thanks Jackie!

      Delete
  6. Hope it doesn't get TOO cold before you get away!

    ReplyDelete