Pages

▼

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Where do I Start? 🤷‍♀️🤔

The Ridge

On Saturday, Sept. 19th, since our plans changed last week, I had absolutely nothing going on today. Bill was up and downstairs preparing to leave for the field in a few minutes when I first woke. First a bit of a lead up. 

Good morning!
This is what greeted me when I
came downstairs at 7.
Stunning!

Gibbs has been scratching lately, (which we put down to the normal season woes and give him an Aerius each morning) and he goes through the ritual each night when we are settled, trying to sleep. 

Because I'd been having a tough enough time finding a comfy position the last 2 nights, I put my ear plugs in. If I didn't hear him or feel him, I had a better chance of dropping off. 

And in our own back yard, beyond
the cut berm, the wild asters
are also lovely.

Before I went to bed, I broke a common sense rule of mine 'no pain pills' (I hate taking them!) and took extra strength Tylenol and 2 gulps of pickle juice. I found a position easily and slept amazingly well. I don't recall moving at all, if I did, and when I woke before 7, I felt nothing. 🤔

It started out cloudy and calm

I rolled over and ............ no pain. I did a few stretches, not trying to mess with anything, got up, made the bed and ...........nothing. Wha??? I don't know what causes sciatica out of the blue and I don't know why it stops out of the blue. I've just had the 2 worst days and today, no pain.

Don't get me wrong, I am SO grateful, relieved and happy that I can move normally again. I had my tea with Gibbs in my recliner, I sat in my dining chair, I had my shower and repeated it all over again and ......nothing. Woohoo! Again, thank you for your wishes, the power of friends? 🥰

Let's make relish!
I only had half the amount of tomatoes
that the recipe called for, so
had to do my best to cut it in half.

The gardens were going to wait and it was so chilly outside this morning that I had no desire to go outside anyway. I added a couple more items to my clothing exchange donations, loaded the bag in Ptooties for tomorrow and decided to make green tomato relish.

You're on your own here, Mom.
You don't need any supervision.
(little does he know!)

Gibbs and I went up and stripped the plants of any remaining vegetables, many teeny but most just small. I pulled the plants out of the garden bags and tossed them over the fence into the weeds. 

So, while the veggies 'steeped'
or 'pickled', I got out some of
my quilling supplies. I put my craft table away
too soon, apparently.

It was an all day process, letting the salt seep into the mixture for 5 hours. I'm fairly new at this canning thing so just did what it said to do. I had an egg/veggie/sausage quesadilla for lunch and it was around 1 (I think) that my pilot returned from flying. The low winds allowed him to have one good flight.

I received part of my Amazon order
today, Quilling cones but it was the first
time I noticed this cute quip on the
packaging.
Clever! I love that!

He made his lunch and had a snooze with Gibbs. I had my quilling out on the table and after making 3 pair of earrings yesteray, I decided to make some cards today for the harvest show. I've said before that I can never have too many greeting cards. This time, I'm focusing on Christmas.

Meanwhile, my relish
is simmering.

For supper, I plugged back into power, we've been unplugged for a few days, to use Madame IP for pork ribs. I also made stewed rhubarb for dessert, another bag that had been in the freezer for a while and needed to be eaten. I washed small potatoes to boil and prepared a cob of corn to share.

Earrings for the Harvest show.
Those are Santa hats and holly, in case you
were puzzled. 
🤭

The day did warm up, but not until the clouds moved off. It was 7C/46F last night and we pulled our Blue Flame heater out to take the chill out. By 3 pm, we were around 17C/63F so much nicer. We are all saying the same thing, the weather is changing, some getting lots of rain, some, like us, getting cooler days.

For some reason, Picassa wouldn't
let me rotate this the proper way.

Bill went next door at 5 to offer help to Gord, who was having difficulty with their rv. They were hoping to be on their way out for a few days by now. It's awful when things don't go as planned, especially when you've looked so forward to it.  Supper will be on hold until he returns.

Gibbs doesn't growl unless he sees
something he doesn't recognize.
I had to look to see what was out there.
A very rare sighting up here.
There goes Peter Cottontail!

I finally messaged at 7:40 to see if they were having any luck......suggesting he come home to eat and go back if he had to. They were at a standstill so he came home, having lost track of time.🥴 Madame IP kept supper warm at least and the corn didn't take long to cook.

Wow! Two whole jars of
relish! but I made them myself
and I don't have room for many more.

Good night!

After clean up, we did dishes and watched tv. I have a busy day tomorrow so hope......well, you know. Have a good night!

Thank you for the visit. 



9 comments:

  1. So happpy you had a very good day!! Sounds like you got a lot accomplished.
    Your relish is a good idea…. no waste.
    Wondering what does the pickle juice supposed to do?
    Dill or sweet?
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. usually the dill juice, it helps prevent cramps at bedtime but I think the sweet works too.

      Delete
  2. Cute earrings and card and good to hear your pain has disappeared . Hugs to sweet Gibbs !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you had a good day 😊. I’m guessing, since you do a lot og canning/freezing, that you don’t have any trouble when you cross the border. We get an agricultural inspection and X-ray when we cross but I think that is because we come from a fruit/veggie growing area into the same area. Anyway I can’t can items or freeze fruit and cross the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.......I mostly freeze fruits and our restrictions are mostly for eggs, chicken if the Avian flu has been around and any root vegetables. We've never been inspected for any of that, and I don't say I have frozen fruit from home. Usually if it is par-boiled or cooked, it is fine. 🤷‍♀️When it is cooked, I don't get their issue with it.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear the sciatica has resolved, hopefully for a very long time.
    Fall has definitely arrived as the garden is ready for harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully the sciatica is done for a good while!! Relish is a great idea; I may try salsa..

    ReplyDelete