Friday, June 23, 2017

Rainy Night, Rainy Day, Music with Mom, Memories,The Man of the House Returns

On Friday, June 23 I woke up at 6:30 to the sound of a steady hum. It was quite loud and it gave me a bit of a start because I knew I’d left nothing running before going to bed. I lifted my head and realized it was rain. I think it rained most of the night because at one point I felt rain coming in my bedroom window and shut it. I still say that is the best time for the sky to open up, not during our daytime hours.
This morning's sky
So, we got up, Clemson and I, and after opening the blinds I noticed that it was a nice-looking morning. 18C at 7:30 is pretty nice in my books. I contacted Bill and we chatted for a bit about the previous evening and upcoming day. He had a good night socializing with new Solitude owners from Peterborough who were staying the night too.
And finally I see that the small birds are enjoying their Niger bell
Last night, I was in bed at 10 and dropped off immediately with the little snuggle bum right close to my side. He is small but it is still a very comfortable feeling when I’m alone. Once more I think of the grass that I’d like to get cut today but it has rained lightly 4 times since I got up and it is only 10 o’clock. I had my tea, read the blog posts I didn’t read last night and hopped in the shower.

I was taking a picture of the seed bell and felt eyes on me

Without moving much, I slipped my phone open and caught Chippy
watching me
I’ve been focusing on pictures that I have of Mom and her family, me included. She is often asking about her Mom and finds it difficult to believe that she has passed. So, I’m compiling some of my own pictures hoping to perhaps show her one day with better information about when her siblings and parents died. It may not help for very long but that is okay.
The weeds are longer than the grass but it won't stop raining long enough to cut it!
After my shower, I washed and cut an apple from the fridge and sliced a few pieces of cheddar cheese. With yogourt as a chaser, this was my breakfast today, oh with a coffee and creamer too. It hit the spot and was tasty. Wednesday, after Bill left, I fried an egg and had a breakfast quesadilla with melted cheese. It was good too but sometimes it just isn't what I feel like.
Mom was giggly when I took a selfie of us

Ron McManus entertained a room full of elderly....and me!
So, still with the on and off rain outside, I’ve answered a text from our friends in London, texted back and forth a bit with my sisters, Wendy and Donna and made plans for the afternoon. It being a dull morning, I decided to take a trip down memory lane. Hold on to your hats!
The vault cupboard of memories
Up in the cupboard over the couch is where our ‘personal’ stuff is kept. The things that we couldn’t get rid of, all in one cupboard. Very small space, actually. I have 4 of my childhood dolls up there in a seagrass basket, a September tea cup and saucer that Mom gave me years ago. There is a beautiful soft suede purse with a wallet from Europe that my sister, Gayle, brought me from their honeymoon trip in 1972 (I think).
My childhood dolls, birthday teacup, purse from Europe and wedding bouquet,
the doll in the orange hat is 3 years younger than me and Billy (how is that for foresight?) is also at least 57
Also, photo albums, just a few with special family pics, the scrapbook that I put together for my 50th birthday, our wedding and honeymoon pictures, Bill’s baby book, our certificates and report cards. We were very scrupulous in order to make this dream happen, yet at the same time we still kept important things close.
My attempt at scrapbooking at 50
So, I started snapping photos of things and had fun going through it all again. Before long, and after a few more showers, I went out and cut the remaining stalks of my drooping irises. I also got caught up in some weeding and hoeing in the veggie garden.
Charmer!
By 2:10 I was in the truck driving into Durham. I knew there was Music with Ron McManus and wanted to go with Mom. She loves music. When I arrived, she was already in the auditorium with the packed room. Singing along to Dream, dream, dream the well-loved Everly Brothers tune. One of the gals moved things around so I could sit beside Mom. She was surprised and held my hand for a long time.

3 sisters, my older brother and me (eyes closed)
1957

I need help from my cousins to name some of these
I'm here covering my eyes again, with 2 sisters, Gayle and Donna, brother Bruce
Bob, Sharon, Harvey, Stephen

In case you wonder why I so easily slipped into full-timing.......
I was introduced to camping really early - this is around 1960
My Dad beside the Fargo truck, a tent packed to the side, bed in the back and brother Bruce and I
peeking out of the homemade camper window
When it was over at 3:30 we walked back to her room and said our goodbyes. I think it was at least 10 goodbye hugs as she walked me to the end of the hall before a final goodbye. I peeked around the corner and watched her slowly find her way into her room. A few of the girls at the desk were chuckling with the antics and also watched her go.
Obligatory church and Sunday school with our Grandparents
Here is our Aunt Kay and cousin, Tommy
4 sisters and 1 brother here with me
The star is me, in case you wondered
A family reunion hosted at our house in Lucan - mid to late 60's
Too bad it is blurry - arrows are pointing to my brother in the back row, Mom on the right holding
our little brother and Patsy in the front with ponytails


My older brother, Bruce and I in early 1955

Bruce and I again with our little brother, Michael - 1967
Before leaving town, I stopped at McLean’s Home Hardware and picked up the MiracleGro that I forgot the other day. I got home to another bit of rain so this job will wait for another day. My guy is coming home tonight. It seems longer than 3 days, 2 nights but they have been fine. We just miss him around.
Home in Lucan with one of our foster children

A favourite of me with my brother, Bruce probably 1975
I’m not going to go on today, leaving just these fun pictures of my past. I hope some cousins in these pictures will comment and fill in the blanks of who’s who. Memories are so important and keeping the people straight in pictures is part of that process for me.
My parent's wedding day - Jan. 15, 1946

45 years later at their home in Vanastra, On
Supper for me will be left-overs. Mashed potatoes, corn and salad. I guess I’ll open up a can of tuna for protein. Bill won’t be home until late and will grab something to eat on the run. At least the rain seems to have stopped, I hope he isn’t getting any messy stuff while driving.
From a 1966 Chevy II Nova to our 1996 Ford Windstar van
Just a few vehicles I've either fully or partially owned
I hope you’ve had a great day. Someone told me tomorrow is going to be a nice one but we’ll see.
And here we are, little rugrats
6 siblings and our cousin, Carol on the right front
I'm the blondie in the front
Note the cloth diapers on the line
1955
Thank you for travelling down Memory Lane with me, I hope you don’t mind the old pictures. You may comment if you wish.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes my husband goes hunting and I think "Oh good...a whole week for myself". But after two or three nights I am so ready for him to come home! But it is all good...my family is so lucky...all the men are good and that seems to be rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have time to ourselves but so far 3 days is enough. I have a sisters fest (3 days) in July where I leave Bill alone with Clemson. Keeps thing fresh and alive, eh?

      Delete
  2. Nice to have those trips down memory lane occasionally, Looking at all the old photos from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old memories and then making lots of new ones daily! No wonder we have trouble remembering things!

      Delete
  3. It's always makes me feel good to look at old family/friends photos..... remembering all the good times spent together!!
    Love your cabinet of memories. What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We had to part with a lot of photos but when I think of it, now our children have them if we ever wanted to see them again.

      Delete
  4. Love the old pictures! We've given a lot to our kids too and glad we did. The dolls are adorable and so is that picture of you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes these old pictures make me laugh, sometimes cry but always there is a smile in there somewhere too. It was a fun day. I love my dolls and since I have no granddaughters of my own, they will become my daughters to do with as she wishes. Maybe there will be a great granddaughter some day!

      Delete