Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Long Showers, Walkabout, More Puffs, Crash, Memories and Nebraska

It was just after 6 when we were waking up. We’d had a good sleep being in bed by 9:30 CT. I read a couple of chapters and turned the light out before 10. Bill was tired after the long day driving so dropped off right away.
A better picture than last nights
We were very happy to be in a campground with hydro and water last night and I got great free wifi from the park. An extra device would have been $1 but we saved our buck and just used it on my laptop. It was only 42F/5C but we could tell that today would be a clearer day by looking at the sky. Once it lightened up out there, I bundled up and took my camera for a walk.
Pretty trails

Nice walkways along the canal - both ways

sites divided by bushes

Interesting - is it a tent, is it a house, is it a cabin?
This Geneseo Campground isn’t a big park by any means, maybe enough sites for 50 rv’s give or take a few but it is a quaint little park. We did pay to stay there, $27, but would do it again in a heartbeat compared to our Walmart stay in Jackson, Mi. That place didn’t feel as good as others did last winter. Oh well, an overnight stop and get out.
Canoes to use on the canal
 My walk around the park was brisk defining both the quick steps and the fresh air and I enjoyed it a lot. If we were staying more than one night, I would be walking along the Hennepin Canal on this walkway.  
The one cabin window I looked in had a double/queen bed and a set of bunks
It would have been an even greater walk on a sunny day. Instead I toured the park snapping photos of an older 36’ Elite Suite 5th wheel (same manufacturer as ours), cabins and the camp office.

Our pretty setup
Back inside, I showered while Bill checked today and tomorrow’s routes. They met his approval and we’ll see how far we get. After both showers and cereal and oatmeal for breakfast we closed things up. I walked back over to where the puffballs were and made a quick decision to take the 2nd largest one as well. I’d hate to think that they would go to waste. I left the biggest one for a conversation piece if nothing else.
My two puffballs, just need to be peeled and sliced
On the road by 9:30 and we could see patches of blue sky. It was going to be a great day! Back on I-80W and just passing over the Mississippi I saw where we ate our supper last night in Le Claire. We passed into Iowa but I missed the sign into this state. 
Where we ate along the Mississippi

We discussed our last time here and it was in 2011 when we drove out to see our friends and my brother, Michael, in Cold Lake, Alberta. On that trip in Iowa we went to visit Winterset, home town of John Wayne. More importantly for us, it is the home of the covered bridge from the movie Bridges of Madison County. One of my all-time favourites. I sat on the same stool in the café that Clint Eastwood sat on and that was a huge thrill for me.

Me in 2011, sitting on the stool where Clint sat in the movie
The Roseman bridge from the movie
Okay that is the last memory I'll share
It was 10:30 when we came to Iowa’s Welcome Centre, Tipton I guess is the closest town. The office wasn’t open but we used the washrooms, let Clem out and I picked up a map. These rest areas are always so clean and well looked after. In 10 minutes we were back on the road. Smooth sailing today, let me tell you! Not much traffic on the I-80 and the highway was smooth.
Zooming in to see what the hold up was
People in the middle of the ditch looking for something
At 12:15 before Des Moines we started to notice signs that said ‘CRASH – 10 miles, be prepared to Slow’. We were about 1 mile out when traffic slowed to a crawl. It didn’t slow us down for long and we saw a single car smucked. Looks like it rolled, oh my, I hope everyone made it out okay. A few people were walking in the ditch looking for stuff so hopefully they were the occupants.
Egg salad, yummy

Such a cute water tower
It actually said Adair on the other side

It is now 63F/16.6C compared to the 8C back home. That is why we are here and doing what we’re doing. Before too long we pulled into a Rest Area near Adair, IA to stretch our legs and have an egg salad sandwich. I made them up before we left this morning. This 142’ blade of a turbine was donated to the State of Iowa and placed here at the entrance to the Rest Area. Very cool and very big!

The rest area near Adair, Ia
Back on the road within 20 minutes and only 125 miles to our destination today. Crossing into Nebraska at 3:30 I asked Bill if he was tired and he said “nope! But I obviously wore the wrong shirt today”. We both wore long sleeves and it is now sitting at 72F as we jostle through Council Bluffs 4 o’clock commuter traffic. I even turned the a/c on until we got through the heaviest traffic. The warmth of the sun makes a difference but we’re not complaining!
Interesting, never knew they were THIS big and we have them in our back yard!

We took Exit 403 and found the Walmart and Sam’s Club side by side. It looked tight to get in but mostly because of the way people park. Used to be everyone wanted to get close to the store, less walking. Nowadays, it seems they WANT to walk and park here there and everywhere! This makes it more difficult for those of us with big rigs to get ourselves situated.
Funny things on the road
Bill jiggied and jaggied back and forth into an area across about 9 parking spaces before he was satisfied. He went in to Walmart to advise the manager that we were here. I waited in the truck until I got his ‘yay’ or ‘nay’ by text. No point in getting comfy until I know. Sitting here waiting, I see that the Sam’s Club parking lot is a whole lot emptier BUT they aren’t open 24 hours. 

We just need a spot for the night. Bill came back from Sam’s and we are in but we have to move over. In Walmart, even though advertised as “Night Parking Ok”, the manager said no. Too bad we don’t belong to Sam’s Club because Walmart will not get our business tonight.
Lots of farmers working here today too

At 6 pm we were settled in the back section of the lot. It should quiet down after 6 or 9 whenever it closes so probably a better place to be anyway. Clemson got his meal and I cleaned my puffballs (teehee, I’m so excited!) and skinned and sliced them. For supper, Bill chose his brown beans and I had a bowl of my home made vegetable soup that was in the freezer with………..wait for it…………..Puff Ball!! We’ll see if Bill likes it.

Many rolling fields of corn and many being harvested as we drove by
So, without further ado, I warmed up supper and fried up 4 slices of this delicacy. It was quite good and that was without doing anything fancy but frying it in my pan with oil and butter. I will try it on the grill, I think it will be even better and yes, Bill likes it. 
For Kirk - today a caravan of 3 delivery trucks went by with Airstreams
First one had an International and a Base Camp on a flat bed
Second truck was towing a Flying Cloud
Third truck was towing Bambi
Well, this has been another long day. We are looking forward to when we can slow down and stay put for more than one night. I hope you’ve had a good day too.

Goodnight, Sam
in Lincoln, Nebraska

Thanks for reading today. I love reading your comments.

19 comments:

  1. That tent/cabin is a yurt. I've seen them at several parks in the pacific northwest. Many have electricity and the interior looks like a regular bedroom with a queen bed, nightstand, light, etc. Others are more basic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you bonkers. How cool! I'd love to see inside one but no one was around. :)

      Delete
  2. As you get warmer, we're getting colder! There are yurts in several Ontario provincial parks, including MacGregor Point over on Lake Huron. Never seen inside one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yesterday. It seems we are getting into some colder stuff now but are trying to stick to our path to Moab, Utah and Nevada. We'll see!

      Delete
  3. I knew those blades were large but seeing it next to a building in the picture really gives you a different perspective on the size.
    It is nice reading your description of the day's travels then Bills and having the map to look at is really nice.
    A peek at your memories was fun to read.
    Continue being safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are huge, I know!
      I'm glad Bill does the map, I'm not that efficient! ha ha
      thankyou guys.

      Delete
  4. When overnighting like that we would always choose Sam's Club over Walmart, if available, specifically because they aren't open 24 hours -- much quieter parking lot! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you two! Good advice, we are finding that out. thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. Nice to follow along with you guys. I guess we are getting closer together. We are in Sturgess South Dakota (the biker town) just outside Rapid City SD. We plan to meander south from here right down to the bottom of Texas. See you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorne! Nice to hear from you. So, is it warm up there in S.D.? We love that state.
      We still plan on heading across a bit more if the weather doesn't get too cold. Looking at Pahrump, NV it looks hot. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Same as Tom and Marci, if there is a Sam's Club we prefer them, as it is less crowded. When you have no membership, they always offer to let you buy items on a visitor pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your opinion. It is certainly less crowded. We thot the 24 hrs. would be 'safer' with more lighting but the lots are getting ridiculous. didn't know about the visitor pass so thanks for that too!

      Delete
  7. A nice travel day you had, nice to stop for the night and relax a bit. That green tent thingy is a yurt they have a lot of these in Ontario Provincial Parks and are outfitted really nice inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a nice rv park you were at and 27 isn't too bad a price. Great day driving. Puff balls I take it are a kind of mushroom? Huge..glad you were able to stay at Sam's. Did Walmart give a reason since they say it's ok? Enjoy your day..Love the pics from 2011 and I love Bridges of Madison County, the book and the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed the reference to Winterset, Iowa. BRidges of Madison County is one of my favorites also.
    We toured Winterset a few years ago and stayed at the Winterset City Park. Went to the same restaraunt where Clint Eastwood sat on that stool and to the Roseman Bridge. We went inside that bridge and put our initials on the side.
    Talked with a lot of locals there and they said the movie put them on the map.....more than John Wayne's birthplace. They told us Clint Eastwood didn't hesitate to come out in the evenings and drink a beer with the locals.
    Said that Meryl Streep was reclusive the whole time they filmed there.

    It was so nostalgic to see it all again on your blog!
    I am enjoying following your trip to the Southwest. Safe travels.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Karen. I don't know if you'll get this. I just bounced back to our first days this winter. saw your lovely comment! thankyou. that is so interesting about Clint Eastwood and Meryl.
      I'd live to go back. never say never right?
      hippie you get this.

      Delete