Thursday, October 26, 2017

Quiet Night, Reefers, Cold Front, Jello Plans, Colorado

After settling down last night, we were checking the weather of our future destinations only to be disappointed to some degree. What I was reading on the way to Nebraska had changed drastically and now it seems a cold front is moving through to the west of us. I went in search of a campground in the area of Sterling, CO for tonight. We’ve made a brief contact with them and will head in that direction today.
Sunny but clouds ahead
We were in bed at 9:30 and it was my turn to go right to sleep while Bill read for a bit. He was awake around 6:15 with Clemson and stayed up. I followed minutes after. We were joined in the parking lot, not too close, by a couple of other rv’s and 2 reefers. Safety in numbers is our feeling. I slept really well. We did some more searching online but none of our membership parks are on our route or open. No worries, we have a plan.
One of the prettiest I've seen
It was 8:30 CT when we pulled out after breakfast and making drinks for the road. Clemson is getting used to this, he didn’t appear as worried this morning about our movements. It was 53F/12C when we got up which is pretty nice. On I-80 this morning we are noticing quite a wind from the north. Must be that cold front coming in. We are dancing a bit today!
Just about every EVERY field in Nebraska
had this irrigation system


And this is the first one we saw in use
We fueled up at York, Ne at a Petro. Nice and easy access, in and out quickly. We like that. Bill did the windows and had to grip his toes in so as not to blow away. 


At 11 we were cruising by Kearney, Sandhill Crane Capitol of the World. Bill said “what is this up here across the highway?” Interesting historical structure, the Archway Monument. Things like that impress me, things you don’t see back home. 

This monument stretched across I-80

The design and engineering challenge was determining how to erect a 1,500 ton structure that would cross 308 feet of the heavily traveled I-80, without impeding on traffic flow. It was concluded that the structure had to be built beside Interstate 80 and lifted into position. Since The Archway is to emulate a covered bridge, two towers were erected, one on each side of the road, that served as anchors for the archway bridge to rest. The concrete abutment walls are 60 feet long, 25 feet tall, and 2 feet thick.
You can read more about it here if you are interested. We didn't stop, obviously.

We passed one Rest Area that was closed and drove in and out of one west of Kearney that had no room for us. We aren’t desperate…. yet, so will try the next one. At the Walmart in Jackson, Mi I had picked up some Sargent Colby and Jack Cheese cubes for a snack. Are they ever good! And I feel good eating such a healthy fat snack like that. I’ll try and keep a stock of them for sure.


At 12 noon we found that we could get into the next Rest Area at Cozad, Ne. The problem we’re finding is that these R.A. along this part of Nebraska are only equipped to handle 8 trucks. Luckily there were a couple of spots opened up. The wind was so strong that I had to wait for a lull to open the door to the Suite to get our lunch sandwiches out.
I didn't take this picture because of the Firefighters, obviously
I took it because of the Red Metal Fire Dog out front
Back on the road at 12:15, relieved and full tummies, all 3 of us. Drove for an hour with a bit of construction. Guys fixing the already decent roads. Must have been a bad section. Just noticed that we’ve changed time zones and it is 12:53 AGAIN! Love it. We weren’t even thinking about that. It means we will be settled earlier this afternoon and have more time to relax tonight before another long day tomorrow.
Advertisement for the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles
It even had a red light flashing on the top


At 1:35 we were saying goodbye to one of the best Interstate highways we’ve travelled on. I-80 is highly recommended as you will see in Bill’s blog here. He is rating the highways across the states we travel.  We took Exit 102 onto I-76 and crossed into Colorado. Well, thank you very much for the welcome! Our first time in this part of the country.
We've travelled the I-80 for 2 full days
It's become part of the family, almost
We are still under cloudy skies but sometimes we see light at the end of the tunnel. With those clouds our temperature has been decreasing all day. Now it is sitting at 41C/5C, Brrrr. The good news is that we almost have the Interstate to ourselves. I like the wide expanse between westbound and eastbound traffic. The wider it is, the more I like it. I don’t know why, I don’t need a reason, just go with me here. 😊

I like the expanse between us
You go your way, and we'll go ours
Ne'er the two shall meet
I have been in contact with the owner/manager at Buffalo Hills RV Park in Sterling, Co. She/he and I have Messenger’d back and forth about a spot for the night and we have received personal directions so there is no guess work. She/he said they won’t be there when we arrive but we are to make ourselves at home and find a spot to our liking. Perfect!

Here begins the 'fun' things I saw today
First tumbleweed THIS year
So, we arrived at 2:45 pm and drove around the park until we found the spot we wanted. Bill did the outside thing after opening up our slides and lighting our Blue Flame heater. No point in both of us getting frigid, his idea. Once we were hooked up to hydro Clemson and I came in and opened up the last 2 slides and I turned our fireplace on. We filled out the Register slip and dropped it in their box with the payment.
Haven't been told this in a while!
It was 5 o’clock Priceville time so you know who was ready for his meal. Bill fed him tout suite without making him wait. He is such a good little travel pet. It was only 3 pm our time so we had time to settle, snooze and read a bit before our supper. With services including hydro and water here, we will be cozy inside. This has been a great driving day again and we’ve found a nice overnight location. Even though it is windy and cold outside, we are great indoors. I hope you have had a lovely day too.

And Clemson has his sweater on again, on top of my sweater and he's sound asleep

Thank you!

At 3 pm and we're in for the night
Before closing, I wanted to comment on how nice it is to hear from not only my regular followers, they keep me going, but also my blogger and non-blogger friends who have commented lately as we’ve begun this second year of travels. Maybe we’ll cross paths (again) this winter!

And here is what the sun looked like tonight in the WEST sky

And because I can, here it is in a Zeke format for fun
Thank you for reading and safe travels to our RV’ing friends heading south!

17 comments:

  1. Long days for you. We go to FL and it's 1300 miles. I thought that was far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes they are. I guess once we get moving, we want to go as far as possible in a day to get to the 'good' stuff. :)

      Delete
  2. You are making good progress ,and seeing new things long the way.keep warm and enjoy this wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes over 350 miles per day is getting us across country quickly. It is nice to see things along this route even though we'll experience some cold temps. It is all fun, eh? :)

      Delete
    2. It is all fun, if we could leave earlier we could take our time.

      Delete
  3. Big north winds here today in the OK Panhandle and the tumbleweeds were on the move!! We'll have our first freeze tonight.
    Great photo of Clemson snoozing in the back seat. Have a safe trip and enjoy your travels. I sure am!!
    Don in OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds didn't blow us off the road at least!
      No frost in Colorado last night, at least not in Sterling.
      Clemson knows how to relax, I'll tell ya!
      Thank you Don for following along.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nice to hear "Things are going "WELL". "Things are OK here. Caroline is doing fine!!!.
    All the Best & "Happy Motoring"
    Love, Dad & Marilynne

















    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad for following and your comment. So glad to hear you and especially Caroline are doing fine! Great news!

      Delete
  5. Pretty York water tower...:)
    I want to feel bad about the 41 degrees but we got down to 29 last night. Actually, I do hope you are in warmer weather soon...:)
    Interesting archway across the interstate.
    You two are certainly putting the miles behind you...continue to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it is cooler (COLD) we want to keep moving to Nevada.
      Actually, maybe this will change your mind.......it is 15F here at 6:30 MT but no frost! We were plenty warm inside with just our blue flame and fireplace going. The furnace didn't come on and down where the pipes are it only got down to 41C.

      Delete
  6. Great trip and pictures..the archway across the highway is really interesting..wonder what made them decide to do that in the first place? Looks like a very nice campground you're in for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you guys. I thought that was an interesting story for sure.
      the campground wasn't too bad, it was the hospitality of the person responding to my messages that really impressed me! We never even got to meet them!

      Delete
  7. Patsy, I read regularly but don't comment. However, you guys are in one of my favorite states...hubby and I married in Colorado Springs CO in 2002! We were going to travel in our 5th wheel after retiring but hubby's health problem changed those plans a bit. Our blog is still up, but I don't post anymore: DnD 2015 on blogspot. Take care and enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lady D. Thank you for taking the time to comment today! So nice to hear from new bloggers. What a lovely state this is, that ride through the mountains was unbelievable! Sorry to hear that you can't travel now but hope things are well for you. I'll check you out on blogspot. :)

      Delete