Sunday, October 22, 2017

Slow Start, Goodbye Turbo Hub, Busy Farmers, Dinner Date

On Saturday, Oct.21st I was awake around 6 but laid in bed for another hour. Bill and Clemson were pretty dead to the world so I ‘sneakily’ got my clothes and crept out of the room. The sky to the east was putting on a pretty show so went out and snapped a picture. The temperature was hovering around 13C so a pretty nice morning for sure.


The sun never actually stayed when it popped up at 7:20 but hopefully it will push the clouds away for a glorious encore. I made my tea and opened the blinds. It didn’t take long to realize that we had no internet connection. Hmm, oh yes, since we bought our hub out last month, the contract ran out today. This gave me cause to use the hotspot on my phone. Bingo!
Clemson had no intention of getting up with us this morning

The sun rises but loses momentum immediately
 It will take a while to get used to, we’ve had great internet up here since we bought it. We haven’t had to think about it at all but that will change. No more email videos or emails with large photos will be opened during the winter. This winter will be a test for our new data phone system and will determine what we do in the summer of ’18.

Sleepy head gets up just before 8:30
After reading some blog posts from friends, I logged off the hotspot and opened a Word document. Finally getting to a project that I have wanted to generate on line for a while. I’ve carried a small page with me in my purse listing the novels we’ve read so I don’t pick up duplicate copies. With my memory, it can happen easily and I don’t remember the stories. Woe is me!

Lovely day for a walk, drive or whatever
I have about 4 cups of cherry tomatoes that I need to do something with so I spread them out on a baking sheet, sprinkled them with olive oil and onion powder. These, I baked for 35 minutes. After they got wrinkly like little ancient people, I removed them to cool. I then blended them with basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. My plan was to freeze this for spaghetti sauce.

Not round bales, not square but wrapped bales none-the-less
Jello. Bill read the list of restrictions about border crossing and it seems unless tomatoes are commercially packaged, they are not enterable. Darn! I know some people wouldn’t worry about it and take the chance. We like to make a list of what we have, in general, and I wouldn’t exclude the tomato sauce since it is an ‘iffy’ item. I continued to make it up and I will ask Donna if she will take it. C’est la vie.

Bill and I grabbed some breakfast around 10 ish, he had cereal and Craisins and I warmed up some of my steel cut oatmeal with some. Then my guy went out and put away the portable solar panel, our Weber Q and the folding table. Everything fit in the ‘garage’ perfectly with just enough room for our patio mat and possibly the solar panel. These things will not be brought out again until we plant ourselves for more than a one night stopover.

I moved the little things from the floor of the outhouse up to the bench so there would be room for the firepit. Everything in its place. I took the broom out there to the window and messed with the multitude of flies covering the window. That got rid of quite a few but about 10 refused to take the hint. I swept the floor as well and the last thing to do is put the roll of toilet paper away. The chipmunks like it when we forget this, trust me!
You can hardly see the tractor ahead of these gulls
        

Bill had his shower and then went up to rest before our drive today. The sleepies hit him when he’s driving in the afternoon, especially on warm sunny days. If he snoozes, it means I don’t have to drive. 

He took his book up too to get into a few chapters. He just started reading The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. I know it is a good one……just don’t ask details. I took that opportunity to use the bathroom, putting my face on and messing with my hair.


Then I decided to go for a walk to the corner. Half way there I was caught in the act of walking and texting. The ‘sister and b.i.l.’ police pulled up and stopped. Donna and Gerry were heading to our place to drop off their itinerary for their flights in November. We’ll need this information so we know where to meet them in Las Vegas.

Not sure what these fellows were doing
This baler was busy in the same field as the picture above
I carried on walking and they drove up to chat with Bill. Not sure if we’ll catch them home on Sunday so I gave her my 2 small spaghetti sauce containers for the freezer and my Christmas cactus. Maybe it will bloom for her. It neglected to do so for me over the summer. They left and Bill went up to catch his “zzzz’s”. I woke him at 1:30 so we could get dressed and feed our house sitter, Clemson. I’ll leave the trailer keys out somewhere for Rob and Pat, in case something goes array today.

Dad and Marilynne's home base
Some of the first burgundy red trees we've seen
So, by 2 pm we were in the car and on our way to London. It was a great day for a drive and I thought I would try and capture some of the farmers in their fields today. We arrived at Stratford to get Bill’s parents by 3:45 and in London a bit early at 5. We took the few spare minutes to drive around past our former sticks and bricks house.

We lived here for close to 14 years
It doesn’t look any different although they need to cut the grass! Ha ha, everything else looks great. It was nice to see our neighbours, Gord and Ann, walking around the block with their ‘new’ dog. We stopped to say a brief hello.



Arriving at the restaurant, using Dad’s handicapped sign, we parked Black Beauty right at the door. This way, Dad only had a few short steps with his walker into the main entrance. We were set up in the back room at Southside Grill and very soon after, Bridgette arrived. Jake, Jess, Matt, Yvonne, Dennis, Connor, Zach, Carter, Patrick, Chaela, Nate, and Krystal within 10 minutes. There were 17 of us for dinner.


The two waitresses who looked after our tables were great, one offering to destroy the bill if we took her with us to Arizona. The 4 small boys were well behaved, and had fun together, at one point playing I-spy with Chaela. Just so you understand what a character my son Patrick is here is a story. From the beginning of our invite he kept telling us that we didn’t have to buy their dinners. Unbeknownst to Bill and I he had called ahead and spoke to our servers.

The water fountain in Milverton
Teeswater has the exact same one
They stood at the end of our table to inform us of a special that wasn’t advertised on the board out front. A Surf and Turf meal including all the fixings, a steak and seafood choices for $45.99. When our jaws dropped I noticed a few of our guests turn to look at us with delight in their eyes. I stood to my feet and just said “No, no, no!” Then I realized that my son, the instigator, was cracking up. It was a great joke and the waitresses were wonderful sports to play along.


We all had plenty to eat and enjoyed our meals. Dad, Marilynne and I ordered the senior’s Liver entrée with bacon and onions. It was just the right amount with a Caesar salad to start. Bill had the hot turkey sandwich with fries. Yummy food! When all was said and done, we said our goodbyes and were leaving the restaurant by 7:45 for the drive home to Stratford and the Ridge. We were sad that 7 of our family couldn’t make it but choices had to be made on an individual basis. Sorry you had to work, Braeden!




Back home at 10:20 we had a very anxious little guy up on the bed. He probably thought we’d left him for good. He is such a good dog. We crawled into bed with no further ado. How nice that it was still 13C outside on a late October evening.

Night night!
Thank you for stopping by to read today. Your comments are very important and I welcome each one.

11 comments:

  1. Patsy and Bill we want to wish you happy travels! Looks like you got the departure and prep all well thought through. Of course we will follow along in your journey. I presume you’ll mostly boondock this winter. Perhaps you might consider a booster antenna for receiving wifi. They work great and you will receive signals from far away. Actually, you will be surprised of the many free wifi options out there.
    As an example, on our boat we were anchored far away in the middle of nowhere and received the free McDonald wifi (we didn’t even know where it was coming from) so we could use our Internet onboard. You might click on our site under “Technical Posts: Boosting your wifi reception at the RV Park” also, if you do stay in a RV park and the repeaters are obscured you still get a strong signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the wifi info. We will keep in in mind. We hope our internet system works out for us this winter.
      Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you "sneakily" got dressed , lol.
    Hope you new internet works for you.
    So nice that you are getting things wrapped up and had a great get together with family.
    Now the final wrap up day and you are "on the road again" travel safe and enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, thought you guys from the Rock Glen group would appreciate that. :)
      We'll keep our fingers crossed for the internet for sure.
      Hope we can sleep tonight, Bill usually can't the night before we take off.

      Delete
  3. Patsy, you might want to call US customs about frozen food. We have never had any problem with what we had in our freezer, only fresh fruits and veggies especially since it is for personal use. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, yes, we will take our chances with what we have in there. It was the tomato information that confused us. It seemed contradictory. :)

      thanks for the note!

      Delete
  4. Safe travels and Hopefully we'll see you again around the "Q"
    Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure had good weather for your drive! Nice you could get together with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this dinner date looks amazing. I bet that everyone out there had great time. We also would be attending a dinner party on this weekend at some local party Venues in San Francisco. It will be an early retirement dinner bash and we are quite excited to meet the friends after a long time.

    ReplyDelete