Thursday, October 19, 2017

Go-Go-Go, Much to Do and Much Done

Thursday, Oct. 19th I woke up a couple of times through the early morning hours but only because I could hear Bill coughing. I feel horrible when he is sick and actually he isn’t complaining about it all! Huh! I think he is trying to ignore it as much as possible so it goes away. We slept in though until after 7 so that was a good night’s rest.
The start to Thursday was wonderful
 We got up and had our coffee and tea while reading blog posts. It was 11C outside and the wind was picking up as we sat at our laptops. The sunrise was pretty and we were happy we’d decided to do laundry today. With the sun and the wind, they would dry quickly. So, by 8:30 we were arriving in town at the laundromat. At 10 to 9 Bill drove to the other side of Hwy 4 to the Bath & Biscuit Dog Grooming Salon.

We were the only ones there so got our pick of washers
The girls were just opening up the door and took their first ‘puppy client’ right away. We needed more laundry change so Bill stopped at the bank before joining me to finish loading 5 washers! That is the largest pile of dirty clothes we’ve ever had! Two consisted of a duvet and sheets so we won’t count those. I knew I only had so much room on my umbrella line so we dried the sheets and duvet before bringing them home.


We were finished at 10 and went to pick the little spiffy fellow up. He was just getting some finishing touches, yay! I got to see him on the table. We’ve always wondered how the heck he sits so still for the girls and not for us. He was getting the full treatment and all for an awesome $50. Now he is already to travel to the warmer temperatures.

The Royal treatment

Someone feels pretty good

Daddy loves his little guy
After getting home, we had another hot drink and I made up omelettes for breakfast/brunch. I made an extra one for each of us so tomorrow will be another good meal without a lot of hassle. Before doing the dishes, we went outside to get to work. I hung the clothes but was doing a fair bit of grumbling. The clouds had completely taken over the sky and they weren’t nice fluffy white ones.

the river through Durham
The wind was strong around 24km so cool without the sun. I persisted and hung the clothes anyway. It was only supposed to be a 10% chance of rain this morning so once more I put my faith in that. 

Bill had a few projects on his list so he put my wagon in the bunky, then cut some grass around our Goose the Spruce tree on the hill. He wanted to get him and our baby red maple covered for the winter, so managed to finish that. 

Next, I cleaned out the firepit of ashes so we can put it in the outhouse before we leave. All sheds get locked up so we make full use of the storage space at the end of the season.

Started out with a great sky but it didn't last long
When I finished that Bill pulled the old vacuum out of the shed and I started vacuuming the car out. We like to put it away clean and I had left some dirt in the trunk from my sunflowers a month ago. One of those things you mean to get at but it gets put on the back burner. It is done now. While I was doing that, Bill hooked up our little wagon to the back of his riding mower and went down the lane to bring our mailbox up. It will also go into the outhouse on Sunday.

No more mail delivery this year

The mail lady turns around
 From one project to the next, I got my small battery mower out for the last time and cut the grass up on the hill and around my vegetable garden. I was feeling warm so also did around the main area in front of the Suite one last time. I wasn’t noticing the cool wind so much and by this time, the sun had returned in full glory. Now, for sure, the clothes would dry in decent time.


My wagon is the last thing to go in the bunky
Bill just finished bringing the mailbox and post up when he pointed down the lane way. The mail lady was driving up to see us. We forgot to put Mom’s name on our request to forward mail, which started today, and she had one today for her. My, that was silly! Usually, any mail for her comes c/o me but from the bank, of course not. She was quite nice about it and we told her we’d take care of that. When we came inside, Bill went online and updated it so it won’t happen again.

What next? Well, Bill had enough gas in the big mower to do the front field and the corral so he went to do that today. He can get more gas in the morning and do the back field and hillside tomorrow. I, for one, was exhausted from the go-go-go today and by 2 o’clock I was calling it quits. Well, almost.
Everything in its place
I checked the clothes on the line first but only a handful of things were completely dry. The duvet still has some damp spots in areas so when enough of our clothes come off the line, I will hang it out to blow dry the rest of the way. I came inside and made the bed and Bill started doing the dishes. At 2:30 we were done for the day, and all things outside were put away.

With another dose of cough syrup Bill and Clem settled in the recliner. I sat here to start my post. I feel whooped but not enough to snooze so will take my book upstairs. We don’t have a warm enough, sheltered sunny spot to sit outside and read but I love my indoors just as much. I decided to plunge on with the Michael Connelly book since so much of it is lost in my memory anyway. It is still good.

Our firepit sure got rusty this summer
But it is cleaned out at least

So, after reading a few chapters, resting and even dozing a bit, I got up and Bill and I went out to bring the clothes in. It was a battle up there on the hill (we are The Ridge!) with the strong winds. We know if we were in a more communal place with neighbours and buildings and trees all around, it wouldn’t be so cold, but this chilly wind is making us even more ready to head out on Monday.
Once clothes were brought in and put away, it was 5 and time to feed Clemson. He actually waited until 5 tonight, partly because we weren’t in our regular spots in the recliners.  Otherwise, he would be sitting staring at us for food. With the wind gusts over 30 km I’m going to bake my chicken breast inside and we can warm up Bill’s butt chop the same way.
This tasted good but what a bland looking meal!
I forgot to add my little tomatoes for the picture
We are avoiding purchasing too much right now, especially fresh veggies which are questionable going across the border. We’re out of green leafy veggies and potatoes. Hmmm. There was some rice left from last night for Bill and I’ll steam cauliflower for my side dish. Oh wait! I have a box of Stuffing mix in the cupboard. That will be nice for a change.

So, my chicken in the convection oven took a shade over 45 minutes but that was okay. We were eating by 7 and it was very good. With dishes cleaned up it was time to relax for the remainder of the evening. The outside temp is dropping, already sitting at 10C from 14C today. Sorry, that is 50F and 57F for our American friends. The wind died off completely before 6 and for half hour it felt nice out there.

We accomplished more today and the list is getting smaller. Tomorrow is another day. I hope you’ve had a great one.


Thank you for reading. I love hearing from you.

10 comments:

  1. You are keeping busy and getting things all wrapped up soon you will be back on the road again, as the excitement builds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be long and we'll be pulling up stakes for sure. The weather is on our side at least, not rainy.

      Delete
  2. Nice pictures of the sunrise and sunset. Sorry to hear Bill is not feeling a 100% hopefully it will be gone quickly. I always feel a little anxious the last few days before we leave when we are making sure everything is done but at the same time excited. Clemson sure looks spiffy and ready to go...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill is hoping that it doesn't hang on too long.
      We are both anxious too oh, and even Clemson although he doesn't know it. :)

      Delete
  3. I hope Bill feels better by the time you head south. We've been enjoying the nice weather at a casual campout in OK this week with our Escapees Chapter. Big news for us: our fulltime adventures will begin soon. We accepted an offer for the sale of our house yesterday. Very excited but feeling a little overwhelmed with all we have to do in the next 45-60 days. One day at a time.....☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the Bill wishes. :)
      Congratulations! That is awesome news! I hope you love it as much as we do, it is so freeing not having a house to return to in the spring. We love looking after our home on wheels, one roof etc. is enough. :) So happy for your adventures!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I'm tired just from reading your post! Hope Bill feels better quickly. Clemson looks so good! Nice that you have storage space for your stuff. Once again, beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my approval to take a nap! ha ha We dozed after it was done.
      Thank you, Bill is letting me pamper him to an extent so Dr. Patsy will get him well! I just hope I don't get it!
      Clemson looks like a new baby after a cut.
      We are lucky to have the space. When we have to move from here :( we will have to purge all over again.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sunset pic! I hope Bill feels better soon and it doesn't pass on to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my thoughts exactly about his cold! I'm trying to eat better and do the things to keep it at bay but you never know.

      Delete