Friday, October 27, 2017

Moving Across the State of Colorado, Mountain Climbing, Colorado River State Park

On Friday, Oct. 27th we were awake at 6 and got up and at ‘em. Last night I finished my Michael Connelly book The Burning Room. I still think I’ve seen a movie based on that story but it was a good read and nothing was spoiled. The winds outside were still howling but we are so impressed with how warm it was inside with just the fireplace heat and our Blue Flame set at 3.
Waking up on a cold morning in Buffalo Hills RV Park
When I closed the cover, it was only 8:30. Too soon for bed but too late to start a new one. I decided to watch a movie up in the bedroom. I opened the cupboard with our dvds and found a jumbled mess. Woops! One of the plastic shelf holders had bent from the weight so even though contained, they were all topsy turvy on the shelf.
I could see the gas station from our site in the park
I've zoomed in a bit 
There was a good job for me to pass the time. I emptied both shelves and put the heavier ones on the lower shelf and lighter ones on top. Makes sense. We’ll have to have a look at that once we are settled somewhere for a while. I found a movie, Up in the Air, with George Clooney. One that if Bill joined me later, he might watch too. It isn’t what I was looking for but that is okay. I recommend it.

And now I zoomed in a lot
Bill came up about 9:30 but was too tired to watch and soon dozed off.  When I was done watching, I slipped downstairs and turned the heater down even more before snuggling in bed again. Heat rises and we were plenty warm up there under our duvet. So, this morning we tried to get into action sooner than later. Our drive would be another long one, 370 miles or so, through Denver.
First sighting of the mountains
The time is off, I haven't adjusted it on my camera
It was only 10:15
Before hooking up, Bill drove down to the corner gas station and topped up with diesel. That was easy! He emptied our black and gray tanks after our showers and confirmed that we had about 30 gallons in our fresh water tank for the next day or two. Not sure where we’ll end up tonight but it will be decided the closer we get. I kind of like the ‘seat of your pants’ decisions sometimes. No disappointments that way. We would like to get as close to Grand Junction as possible today.
These are not dust specks on my camera lens
They are hot air balloons
Can you imagine this ride??
We hopped onto I-76 at 8:30 am and headed west towards our destination. It was about an hour into the drive and Bill pointed out the mountains on the horizon. Yay! You could mistake them for low clouds and I remember doing that on our trip west in 2011. Sorry for mentioning that trip again but it was a lifetime highlight for me.
Denver got a skiff of snow overnight but it had melted from the pavement
before we arrived around 10 am
After Denver, we took I-70 and were in for a real treat. Well, what a ride that was! We climbed to over 11,000’ before beginning the descent. Awesome views and I was on the ball enough to capture not only this sign but also these buffalo! We also saw Bighorn sheep at the side of the road. Once we got down to 8500’ we took an exit into Silverthorne. It was a busy scenic mountain-view town and not really equipped for big rigs but we managed to find a Kum & Go on the outskirts for fuel. It was a decent price too.

I will apologize now for the picture overload
I've really tried to weed them out
Lots of steep grades - The truck in front was carrying
an Airstream Base Camp plus a jeep




This Gold mine looked so out of place
We can honestly say that we have never been at those heights before. Up and down and the reverse for a stretch of about 170 miles winding around the mountains before settling out around 5400’ above sea level. Gorgeous drive and mostly decent roads. The one issue we have with this drive is that your exits for anything, fuel or rest areas, take you into small towns. This entails some creative driving on Bill’s part or anyone pulling big rigs.

I saw this sign but thought nothing of it since we weren't going to turn off

But then there they were!! How exciting!

There is always an anti-social mate in the bunch
Next, we wanted a Rest Area to stop for lunch and the exit took us right through the heart of Eagle. We went through 3 roundabouts within 250’ to get to the Information/Rest Area parking lot of which we couldn’t get into. Following the signs, we ended up at a gravel ‘truck parking’ lot a long walk from the building at 1:00. At least we can get our sandwiches and drinks out of the fridge. No need to open up and no need to visit their Centre.

I apologize for the blur but this was very quick and they were right at the roadside
Back on the road again at 1:30, we discussed how nice a day it was at 64F. Once we were out of the mountains the scenery was just as gorgeous! There are many trees along the river displaying autumn in full glory and the mountain cliffs are stunning. Too many pictures!

We approached this interesting tunnel

It got even more interesting when I googled the name
The Eisenhower Tunnel is the westbound bore and Johnson coming from the east.
This is one of the highest vehicular tunnels in the world.
It takes Interstate 70 under the Continental Divide and is 1.693 miles
and the twin-bore tunnel is a total of 40' wide
Clearance for vehicles is 13.92'
You can read more for yourself if interested here

As we were about 28 miles from Grand Junction, our planned destination for the night, we saw the turn off for the Island Acres Campground aka James M. Robb – Colorado River State Park. You could see it from the road. Oh my, it looks perfect! Instead of taking a chance of traffic congestion in Grand Junction this is where we’re stopping. So, once more the Jello jiggled.


Now this would be a fun thing to do!
This park is on the honour system to begin with. You fill out a slip, put the cash in an envelope in the slot and park. A Ranger comes around and checks. We found a great spot, they are mostly all great spots and only 3 other rv’s here when we pulled in. They have covered picnic tables and long gravel spaces for both truck and rv. We had room to spare. It was 3:45 when we were in and set up, no time at all.
We are travelling west on the upper lanes
Eastbound traffic is on the lower lanes

Seriously? They couldn't come up with a name?
Nobody asked me!
We actually opened up windows when we arrived and I changed out of my long sleeves into a t-shirt for awhile. Bill got the Weber Q out and after we took a walk around the park, he barbecued burgers and a couple slices of puff ball. I steamed some cauliflower inside for me and that cleaned up our fresh veggies. Supper was good, things outside put away again and we are inside for the night.


My boys

A beautiful quiet little park


the river beside the park is a popular swimming hole too


We’ve had a beautiful day with amazing scenery, wonderful blue skies for the most part and warming temperatures. When we parked it was sitting at 64F/17.7C and will be dropping to 32F/0C tonight as we sleep. I hope you have enjoyed your day just as much as we did.
Supper tonight, hamburger (no bun) puff ball and cauliflower
It won't win awards with Martha Stewart but it was good



Thank you for reading. 
And the man of my hour, of my every day
The love of my life who takes Clemson and I on this wonderful journey safely
Be sure to check Bill’s blog out, On Our Way, he details the route we took today. I love to receive your comments.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was amazing, hard to sort through the pictures though, they were all great!

      Delete
  2. Keep the pictures coming!!! We luv 'em out here in the hinterlands!!! The more the better!
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you drove through some great scenery today. The one with the mountains and the hot air balloons was beautiful. Enjoyed all the pictures. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky that this is the year we came across these states. The weather is being kind to us. Now we can say we've been there, done that through those mountains as we may not take the Suite through again. Some of it had Bill on edge but he loved it all the same. :)

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy reading your blog. There cannot be too many photos. I even like the blurry photo and the train beyond Bill's side window. Keep the photos & posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jody, how nice of you to comment! I never know if I'm posting too many pictures so your opinion is valuable to me. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a nice drive through Denver and over the mountains, now to enjoy some amazing National parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing although we likely won't do it again with the Suite. The downgrades have all senses alerted. :) We loved it!

      Delete
  6. I agree with the other commenters you can never have too many pictures! It's all memories! Colorado is one of my favorite states, especially along highway 50. 80 is beautiful too, but much busier. Love the campground you stayed at, we'll have to put that on our list. Bet it's really busy in the summer being so close to the river! Ken said (and I agree) compliments to the chef! The burger looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the pictures. Thank you.
      It was beautiful and we are so glad we got to see Colorado this trip.
      That is a lovely park too, not a lot of space but you would love it.
      I'll tell Bill, it was an awesome burger. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the photos of the road (I-70). It brings back memories.
    Gene in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a Safe travel day and are Enjoying your trip. You can never have too many pictures.
    Hope to see you in Quartzsite again this winter.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you have good weather for this part of the trip. Beautiful country! Thanks for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so very lucky, weren't sure what we'd get into. It is gorgeous across here. you are very welcome!

      Delete