Thursday, August 24, 2017

Alarm Wake Up, Getting on the Road Early, Home Sweet Ridge

Thursday, Aug. 24th we woke up to the alarm at 6:20. It surprised me since I didn’t know Bill had set it when he came to bed. I was in bed reading at 9:30 and soon after closing the book and switching the light off. My battle with my eyelids is always a loss for me. It was dropping down to a low of 9C overnight and so I snuggled down in the covers against the cooler air in the Suite.

We had our morning drinks and Bill popped the furnace on for the short while it took us to get ready. After reading a few posts, I’d missed a couple of days, we washed up and closed things up. Looks like it is going to be a decent day with 60% chance of rain in London and 40% in Durham. That makes for a nice day to travel and we are anxious to be home again.

We pulled out of the lot at 8 am exactly, into the city limits but around Stratford by 9 am exactly and then pulling into Durham at 10:30 exactly. Very precise. Bill wanted to get propane before arriving at the Ridge so we pulled into a very open parking lot at FS to fill the 40-gallon tank. This took longer than normal but taking everything into consideration we made it ‘home’ in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Not too shabby and with only a couple of wee construction slowdowns.
Clemson settles down in the sun
Bill pulled into our open area and maneuvered around while I made a pit stop in the Restroom. Guiding him into a more angled spot (although he would say he didn’t need my help, I’m sure) we were set up in 20 minutes. The clouds had rolled in so likely the 40% rainfall is imminent. We came inside for some lunch and Bill asked if I would help him set up his small canopy behind the cargo shelter. While we were away it must have got windy, it had collapsed.

That lasted a whole of 5 minutes tops. It is like putting up a tent together and I wasn’t holding it properly so was strongly instructed to leave him to it. You get the picture. Ha! No, most relationships aren’t without disagreements and if you are one of the lucky ones who never argue with your spouse, you should write a book. Needless to say, I moved inside and I curled up with James Patterson.


Bill informed me later that the canopy has covered its last event/table/airplane. It broke in more than one piece. That’s too bad, we should have thought to take it down before we left on Sunday. The boys went up for a snooze and I managed to finish my book Big Bad Wolf. Oh my goodness, it was so good……..now I need the next one that follows it! Which I don’t have in our possession.


I’ve decided on Tilapia loins and fries for supper in our little fryer. It actually feels nice to cook a meal after eating out so much as of late. Yes, I enjoy someone else cooking for me but not when that is your only choice night after night. Even the mushroom soup we had last night was good because I prepared it myself.

Tilapia frying
 The meal was great, the fish dipped in a Beer Crisp batter and the fries hand cut here in our very own kitchen. Bill likes tartar sauce on his fish and ketchup on his fries where I prefer butter on both and sour cream for the fries. They are potatoes after all. The skies have cleared out but we didn’t get any rain today after all. The temperature hovered around 16C all day so didn’t quite make the forecasted 18C.

second batch of fries

It wasn’t a day for pictures, obviously, since I wasn’t outside much at all. I took a walk down to the end of the lane for the first time since Sunday morning. I hope your day was a great one, and you are prepared for a nice-looking week!


Thank you for stopping in. It feels good to be back at the Ridge. Thank you also for your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Glad all went well and you guys all set up again, enjoying your summer place. Sounds like a good travel day.
    I don't ever remember arguing with Suzie in our 27 years together, we just discuss things and get them done. We do work well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got set up without any problems, even turned the Suite a wee bit more on an angle so Bill can get in and out easier with the truck.
      Our 'discussions' never last long but we need to walk away once in a while. I guess you two should write that book! ha ha

      Delete
  2. We did have an hour of very strong winds the other day. One of our big shrubs was almost pulled out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been surprised at the strong winds up here, at least our cargo shelter remained intact!

      Delete
  3. I was at the Acreage yesterday and everything seemed fine there, though we are a lot more sheltered than you guys up on the Ridge. I too was happy to get home from London on Wednesday evening, now just waiting for the word to head back to pick up Gerry. He said the nurses had hinted that today would be the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with Gerry returning home, today seems really early though.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a big fish person, but your fries look awesome! I know what you mean about eating out..it's a nice treat but don't want to do it all the time especially when you watch the cooking shows and see how much salt goes into everything. haha.. Glad you're back at The Ridge and can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish is mild and we enjoy it with a light batter or with nothing.
      I try not to watch those cooking shows, I get too hungry! ha ha
      thank you, we are happy to be back. The stress of rv repairs is behind us now again and the truck has new tires.

      Delete