Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Wonderful Hike, Truth or Consequences, Lazy Afternoon, Too Many Pictures


With us both getting up so early, 6:15 today, Tuesday, Mar. 5th, the day is plenty long and no wonder I’m ready for bed at 9. Last night I was falling asleep in my chair by 8:30. I guess the television wasn’t too exciting. I’m not complaining about the length of the days at all but I do wish I could stay awake longer in the evenings.

And while we were drinking our morning brew
The sun came up behind me

My walk entailed quiet paved roads, trail directions, yucca plants
and a visitor centre off in the distance
We had our morning brew together and then at 7:30 I went for my walk. The temperature was 37F/3C so I had to bundle up. The wind, however, was low and I probably went into overkill with the extra layer. This was a great hike. I just kept going and going on the marked trail. A couple of places I admit that I stepped off to follow that brief flash of Jack. I know he is taunting me but I also know that it wasn’t me who spooked him when I noticed another hiker with his dog up ahead.

a closer look at the yucca flower, more directions
morning doves, stoney paths
and trees with birds
I came to the bench where Pat and I sat yesterday and the sign indicating directions. We took the Playground route then so today I took the Visitor Centre. Winding this way and that, I caught glimpses of bunny rabbits, birds, morning doves and quails and soon enough I looked up to see how close I was to the entrance. That was where I checked the time, realized I’d been gone my usual 30 minutes and texted Bill that I was on my way back.
Bunny rabbits (not Jacks) curvy roads
Blue Bird coaches and lake views
This was my morning walk
I walked slow, knowing that now he wouldn’t worry, and followed the trail back to Quail Run campground and eventually onto Sumac Road. Quail Run has 26 sites, Desert Cove has 17, Lion’s Beach (where we are) has 45 (17 non-reserve) and there are 15 sites along the hilltop looking over the lake and Marina. These do not have electric on site but there is a shelter with a plugin and a water tap handy. The prices for these sites are $10. There is a 14 day stay limit in the park.

Back home, I took Clemson for a walk and started my post. It is warming up nicely and I’ve opened the blinds to let the sun in this morning. Looks to be a beauty of a day coming our way. Eventually, Bill vacuumed and then had his shower while I emptied the recycle bags for plastic and aluminum. Our garbage bin is over full but there is another one not too far away. Not too many people recycle by the looks of the blue bins, they are only half full.

We drove to Truth or Consequences
We didn't go in the museum, but enjoyed all of the old equipment
outside
I made breakfast, bacon and eggs, nothing fancy. I’m trying to avoid the bread but I’m finding I’m craving my omelette sandwiches. Maybe tomorrow we’ll have those, our last day here. After cleaning up dishes, it was my turn to get washed up. Bill and Clemson sat in his chair and relaxed. I’m trying to find an online tutorial for my project (sorry to keep you in suspense, it is a necessary evil) just for an added perk. I’m sure I can do it, once I get started. I’m excited to get it finished.

Turbine Runner? I'm sure it makes sense to some of you!

I like the metal display on top of the fence
Our plans for the afternoon may be to go for a drive into T or C but for the moment, I thought I’d just sit outside with my book. No sooner did I sit down and Clemson wanted out. Rob walked over and asked if we wanted to go to town, so in other words, reading our minds. We went along and it gave us an opportunity to walk one side of the town. The town is divided by two-lane one-way streets.

A few pretty areas in this little town
We took our time, just exploring the town before walking back to the truck. Rob then drove down further to the Veteran’s Memorial Park & Hamilton Military Museum. We’ve been to the park before and although Bill walked around again reading the plaques for the different wars, I sat on the bench and waited for them to finish and join me. Then we walked into the museum, of which was closed last year. It was all free with the exception of any donation you wished to make.

If you wish to take the time to read this, it is
an interesting story
Love this selection
The quail, the stone house on the hill
and the movie theatre
I signed our name and Bill dropped something in the pot. It was very well done with tons of information. You would be there, as Rob said, for a week reading all the information. Once we got back to the parking lot and truck Rob asked if us girls would like to take a walk through the Community Health Thrift Store. ‘Does peanut butter go with jam?’ Pat asked. I’m glad we went in and praised myself for not even looking at clothes.

The Historical Walk of Education

Inside the museum
I found the craft aisle and picked up a couple of bags of 3 ply wool in various colours. I have another project in mind. They also had a package with at least 20 crochet hooks of varying sizes for $10. Uh, no. I wanted just a few different sizes and when I asked the lady at the counter, she was quite obliging. I picked 4 and gave her what she asked. Pat found a couple of casual summer hats for her walks.  

I have another project in mind
When we returned home, we had new neighbours again. Seems people are coming in for overnight and then leaving. Bill started chatting with the young couple and they certainly seem friendly enough and loving the park. It’s their first time here so we understand the feeling. I made myself a creamy hot tea and a lettuce, cheese and meat sandwich on rye. I know the time was off to eat but we were hungry. Bill made his sandwich and we relaxed for the rest of the afternoon.

Cute plant in bloom
I actually indulged myself. I put my bathing suit on and stretched out on my lounge chair. I read for a while, facing the west sun with the wind behind my back. It was quite lovely out there. Bill was inside sleeping with Clemson so when Rob texted about Happy Hour, I actually declined. I’m sure he understood. We have one more day to do that before we leave here.

This touched me the last time I saw it

Today, it still did and these little plastic soldiers
were sad and sweet
When the performance in front of my eyes quieted down (quails, doves and bunnies) I was ready to move in to change into my shorts. Bill had fed Clemson and taken him for a walk but when I went inside, he bugged me for another one. Little goof, I guess he wants us to take him together. What do you mean ‘he is the boss of us?’ LOL So, I took him and we walked across the main road into the sand. I can imagine that feels nice on his little feet.

This little bunny is trying to hide
We had a nice long walk and returned to the Suite. This seemed to satisfy him. For supper tonight, I have sausage thawed for grilling and we have leftover potatoes from last night. At 5, I didn’t feel the least bit hungry because of that sandwich so we’ll see when the urge to eat hits and take care of it at that time. We both got involved in NCIS reruns and the The Voice came on. Before we knew it, it was 6:15 and neither of us had moved for supper.

A beautiful day
I was feeling a headache so knew we had to eat something. I opened a can of tomato soup and made it creamy with mostly milk. With toast on the side, it hit the spot. This was our tv night so we had a lot of programs to watch and record. 

Good hot tomato soup
Hit the spot when we didn't need anything too heavy
Pat had opted to skip our walk today but I still got over 4 miles in by myself and with the walking around town. We’ll pick up where we left off tomorrow. I hope you’ve had a good day.

Pat took this one of me on a bench in T or C
Thanks buddy
From our position, I don't get the sunset
but this blurry shot at least shows the pretty sky
Good night
Thank you for stopping in today. I hope you didn’t mind all of the collages, I couldn’t decide.

15 comments:

  1. Always fun checking out little towns. Be careful on the trails ... rattlesnakes are starting to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are having fun there, and we do love exploring T or C , Barbara Dewel has bought a house there in town. You met her the first year we camped at La Posa south she walked down for a couple of Happy hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we remember Barbara. :) We had forgotten that she bought a house here.
      It is a quaint little place.

      Delete
  3. The memorial is extremely well done. Very moving, very informative. It also touched me when we visited.
    A wonderful walk, always nice to stretch the legs. Soaking up the sun may help keep you warm as you head further north. Enjoy your last day there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, we do enjoy that memorial too. Very well done.
      It is so good to get out and walk, and soaking the sun up is a good plan. It may be a while until I can do that again! :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you are watching for snakes! They are out early this year & several people have been bitten. Safe travels! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mama Rose. :) Yes, we are keeping an eye out. We appreciate you thinking of us. :)
      We miss you guys too! Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Great visit you had in town! Love the pic of you that Pat took! The memorial is very touching for sure! I agree, watch out for snakes!! Hoping you enjoyed your last day there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cute little spot, this town.
      Thanks, on our first day we weren't even thinking of snakes but our friends are looking out for us and we kept our eyes open. :)

      Delete
  6. No need to apologize, I loved your post and all the pictures. Enjoy your stay in T or C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorne, I appreciate that. It is so hard to choose sometimes. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice new header picture. I like how you coordinated your outfit to match the blue of the lake...:) Even if you did not mean to; all the blues really are beautiful.
    I always feel the same way, to many pictures but they tell the story so you needed them all in the post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou my dear. Not planned but points for me! haha
      Too many pics but then is there such a thing?
      I miss you guys.

      Delete
  8. A most interesting story about Captain Albert Pfeiffer. I am glad not to be living there in 1863. It must have been rough. Looks like a neat town and Museum to explore. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it interesting. I don't always read these plaques but this one caught my eye and I'm glad to read the story too. Lots of business are closed and we can't help but wonder what they live on now. We enjoyed it.

      Delete