Saturday, March 2, 2019

Goodbye Benson, Walkabout, Travel Day, A Favourite State Park


I was awake a couple of times through the night     but only because I felt Bill stirring and then in the bathroom. It was 4:15 and we all went back to sleep. He got up for good at 5 on Saturday, Mar. 2nd.  I didn’t, not until 6:30 after Clemson had been out and returned to make his nest. He wouldn’t move again until we disturbed him to put his seat belt on at 7:30.

Cloudy start to the day
The parking lot side of Little Caesars
I skipped tea first thing as it was light enough out to go for a walk before 7. This Walmart parking lot was one of the best we’ve stayed in. There are many bright lights all around and last night it was very quiet. Because I was awake at 4:15, I heard the garbage truck emptying the dumpsters behind Little Caesars but other than that, peaceful for sleeping. Bill said he counted 12 rv’s in our area last night when he took Clemson out for the last time. No one bothered us.



I walked to the Thrift Store and the restaurant
Time for a selfie
I walked around the outskirts of the lot, on the street sidewalks and down to the Farm House Restaurant on Prickly Pear Ave. It looks and sounds like it is a popular place. I took a selfie out front with their display of old farm equipment and then to my surprise I found a small painted rock. On the back it said Sierra Vista Facebook so I will be sure to post it. It almost looks like a child painted it, so I hope I can make them smile knowing that it was found.




Oh! What is that?

A small painted rock
Back at the Suite, I had my tea in my travel mug as I wasn’t sure how soon we’d all be ready. I didn’t even go online, instead focused on having our toast and getting cleaned up for the day. I apologize if I haven’t replied to comments you’ve made on my blogs, I don’t check them on my phone and I’m seldom inside at my laptop unless posting my own blog. I’ll get to them and your blogs eventually. Life is short and there is much outside to witness right now.

A bright bit of hope for today
By 8 am we were pulling out of the parking lot. Today, we are in the lead. We stayed on I-10E for about 175 miles. The sky was a blend of light clouds and blue patches but enough sun to bring the early temperature of 44F up 10 degrees by the time we left. Well be putting shorts on again today and I’m thinking sooner than later. We love this drive, you can see for miles and around Dragoon Rd. some of the most beautiful rock formations on both sides of the interstate.


With a fuel stop at San Simon, we lucked out on a great price again today. Thinking it was $2.79 we were surprised at the front pumps to pay only $2.71/gal. Yay! We made ourselves a coffee and got back on the road by 9:30 and crossed into New Mexico 15 minutes later. I missed the sign for the Continental Divide with my camera but crossed that invisible line an hour after that. What a great driving day! The temperature is 71F and it isn’t 11 o’clock yet.

Woops might be a duplicate in here

Can you believe these colours?
No enhancing involved, these are exactly as I saw them


Scenes from Hatch
Around 11:45 we arrived at Hatch, the Chili Capitol of the World. Bill and I needed a piddle break so after turning left on NM26, we pulled off in a truck stop. We retrieved our sandwiches from the Suite and a soda and everyone agreed to eat on the road since we were so close to our destination. The scenic views left, right and centre were breathtaking and I took a lot of photos again. Hence, more collages.


It was 12:45 when we pulled into Elephant Butte Lake State Park and got in line for check-in. It is Saturday, so busy enough with only one booth open. A friendly gal checked us in and we were on our sites and set up shortly after 1:30. We love this park and at $14/night with electric and water, we are very pleased to be back. I trusted that Rob and Pat would enjoy it as well and I wasn’t wrong.

Things along the way today
We have a view of the lake, sun if we want it and shade. The winds are high today and without that it is 83F in the shade. Bill fed Clemson at 2:30 and it was time to sit and relax. I texted ‘Momma’ (my sister, Donna) back home that we had arrived safely. I sat outside first in the shade but with such a strong wind, (upper 20 mph gusts) I moved to the sun with my book. And my wine.

Through a bug spattered windshield

After an hour or so, I moved inside, tired of fighting with the strands of hair that continued to disturb my reading. Bill was watching a movie so I went upstairs with my book and eventually had a small siesta. At 4:30 I came downstairs and took Clemson for a walk down towards the water. Not all the way, but quite a way down. He was really enjoying the walk and so was I.


our view
By the time we came back, it was 5:30 so I thought I’d better get supper started. I pulled pollock filets out of the freezer and some shoestring fries for the air fryer. The filets are quite thin so instead of our usual 2, I’m frying up 4. They didn’t come in the loins or I would have bought those for a ‘meatier’ meal. Everything was ready by 6 or so and it tasted like a fish and chip Friday. The food was good. For dessert, there’s some cake, pecan &/or cherry pie or Jell-o to choose from tonight.


Our sites together

watching the sky change tonight

Clemson enjoyed his walk to the lake with Mom

We followed his little footprints back home towards the wind
Supper was good
This has been a nice day and even though I missed the sunset, the sky all around was gorgeous. I hope you’ve had a good day. I’m happy to be here and it is looking like some great weather for the time we’re here.

Hoping this means some nice days ahead


These two pictures are looking over the lake to the northeast

Ignore the 4 lights reflecting but this
amazing sky was worth capturing through our window
Good night all!
I appreciate you stopping by! If you wish to leave a comment, it is always nice to hear from you.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had two good travel days. I would agree the road when you first leave Yuma going east is a little scary but the views fantastic. I always love the drive through the rocks at Texas Canyon. It is wonderful to see all the green and colorful wildflowers that are starting to bloom. Really like your pictures looking over the lake to the northeast. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame to have to move at all now that the weather come around to our way of thinking! We are in a gorgeous spot and it will be hard to leave this park, something we experience each time we say goodbye to it.
      Thank you Deb.

      Delete
  2. Travelling through Hatch is a treat, love all the chili's drying in the sun.
    Gotta love Elephant Butte state park and most other New Mexico state parks we have enjoyed over the years. Have fun there and enjoy the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hatch is a very busy little town, for sure. Lots to see along the drive.
      We love E.B.L.S.P. It is our favourite state park for camping.
      Thanks George.

      Delete
  3. You should be getting into wildflower country soon. The weather has warmed up enough to bring them out. Sounds like it was a good travel day. Enjoy Elephant Butte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, those yellow/orange flowers were such a beautiful surprise! It would have been nice to walk through them and get close ups.
      Thanks Nancy, a good travel day and we love it here.

      Delete
    2. Hi Patsy,
      Those flowers are California Poppies. I had the great pleasure of walking through them, lots of them in Queen's Canyon by Palm Canyon in the Kofa the other day. I'm working on that blog now. Too bad you are leaving but maybe you'll see more on the way home. It's first the poppies and whitish flowers, then the reds or darker flowers come and the cactus blooms too. Because of all the rains it's going to be a fantastic bloom year in the desert.
      Bob

      Delete
    3. Thank you Bob, they are beautiful from a distance. Lucky you walking through them. I'll check out your blog for the pictures. :)
      The rains have indeed given the desert a new look for us.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to get my hands on some of that farm equipment for our "yard art"..beautiful! Beautiful road trip pics! How long are you staying at EBLSP? Once of our favorite parks in New Mexico! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that stuff too.
      We are staying for 5 nights. Too short when the weather is this nice.

      Delete
  5. Capturing the beautiful vistas and scenery help in the memories of the places we visited. You have so many nice photos! Hope you get to enjoy this park for a while and the weather will be warm for the walks before you move on. I always love the views of a lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, I take a lot of photos and love looking back on them.
      We will be here only for 5 nights so will enjoy every day. It is supposed to be beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic photos today!!! Loved all the interesting things out the windows. We too will be heading in that direction in a few short weeks. I enjoy our stop at Hatch, the peppers hanging to dry are always fun to see. EBSP is a wonderful park, we stayed there last year and almost had a roadrunner as a pet. Haha.
    Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. The drive was so beautiful. Hatch is certainly a cute little town with lots to see.
      We love this state park and the price helps too! Haven't seen a roadrunner here, but what a cute story! :)

      Delete