Monday, September 18, 2017

Pre-Company Day, Laundry, Aunt Mary and Mom Visit, Rain

So, when I woke up on Monday, Sept. 18th I had a couple of things on my mind. Firstly, I wanted to see what the weather was going to bring as I was doing a few loads of wash. Secondly, I had some groceries to pick up in town and thirdly, I was thinking of visiting Mom and Aunt Mary. I got up at 7 and left Bill and Clemson sleeping for another half hour. They were soon up joining me.
The day looked promising
When I finished my tea, I made the bed and gathered 3 loads of dirty clothes. The sky was overcast but it didn’t look like much, if any, rain was going to dampen (ha ha) my plans. Bill helped me by bringing the car over closer and I was off before 9. Darlene and her daughter, Connie, were at the laundromat when I arrived and we chatted briefly while I placed my clothes in the washers. I got a break, as someone had put $2 in one washer and must have walked away so a cheap load for me!
Mom liked her new necklaces
It was warm inside and they were bustling around cleaning the floors and filling the change and detergent machines. I sat outside on the bench so I wasn’t in their way. Soon enough, well, exactly 29 minutes later I folded my clothes loosely and turned back onto Saddler St. E. to go to Rockwood Terrace. I had a couple of necklaces for Mom from the clothing exchange on Saturday.
Mom had some of her dolls tucked in at the bottom
of her bed
I stopped in to see A. Mary first for a few minutes and admired her Thanksgiving decorations that Rob and Pat left around her mirror and desktop. She pointed to things for me to look at. I complimented her pretty blouse and she sang to me. Because her song is to the tune of Happy Birthday, I told her thank you, that I had a birthday coming up very soon. She was pleased at her timing, I’m sure.
One of the sunflower plants I pulled out by the roots, has flowered
Walking down the hall to Mom’s room, I found her sitting on her bed resting her eyes. She was, as always, overjoyed to have family drop in for a visit. I told her that I wasn’t staying long and explained that I had clothes to hang. She said she was pleased with any visit, long or short. We hugged a few times and she put the 2 necklaces on. She loved the colours, as I knew she would.
Rose of Sharon getting closer to blooming
Donna was going to go up soon after I left so I said my goodbye when she walked me to the elevator. Actually, we said many goodbyes during the walk to the elevator. She is a loving soul and this is a wonderful side of our mother. We always knew she loved us from the things she did for us on a daily basis growing up, but we were not a family that said it. I was in my 30’s before I really felt comfortable enough to say “I love you” to my Mom and Dad. And they reciprocated with ease. My Dad passed when I was 40 and I was happy that I had no regrets in my communication with him.
Clothes are camped here for the night
I drove home to the Ridge and promptly hung my clothes before making myself another tea. I read blog posts to catch up on friends and at noon made Bill egg salad on a bun, while I finished off the last of the chicken salad in the fridge. We had put the garbage and recyclables out at the road before 9 and when I returned at 10:30 brought the empty container back.
Rain, rain go away

Running down the upper driveway - again but not as bad

Pane sitting in a puddle
There wasn’t much wind but with the warm 20C day I didn’t think it would take long for my clothes to dry. Around 12:30 I headed back into Durham to pick up the groceries we needed and visited the LCBO for a couple of bottles of wine. With company coming tomorrow and a couple of celebrations very near, they would be empty returns soon enough.
And after supper the sky started performing
As I walked out of Foodland, I felt like swearing at the sky! It was raining, lightly so far but back home my clothes wouldn’t have even had a chance to begin drying. By the time I made it home after my errands, Bill said he had checked the clothes and I was exactly right. Rinse cycle 2 and 3 and now there is grumbling in the sky. I guess the thunderstorm that Hanover got early this morning/last night is gracing us with its presence today. Wonderful.
The fog rolls in
No point in worrying about the clothes now, it looks like an all afternoon rain now even though the Bunnesan forecast said clearing with sunny periods this afternoon. Yup, good job! Before coming up the drive, I picked up the mail. Three pieces for Bill and one for me and one for Mom. My first birthday card, that is the kind of mail I like to receive. I put the groceries away and settled inside with my book.

And the first sun appearance

At 2:56 pm the rain slowed down enough that I grabbed my camera and ran out to get these pictures of our lot and the driveway. At the same time, I met Bill running from the cargo trailer to the Suite. He was kind of stranded out there for an hour. We stayed inside, what choice did we have? I got a few more chapters read and Bill got a snooze in. Clemson rotated from one lap to another after his meal at 5.

This is one of those times when every second it gets prettier

The rain stopped around 4, an hour earlier than my last forecast check. Easy to give the forecast when you can update it once you realize it isn’t correct. We could all be forecasters! Yes, I’m teasing so don’t take offense to that if that is your position of employment. We all get frustrated when it is something we think we can rely on.

The clothes hung limp on the line for the remainder of the day. They are far wetter than when I brought them home so they’ll stay there overnight. In the afternoon, I was working on making a spaghetti sauce with just a few tomatoes. Well, it didn’t make much and it was rather painstaking so I’m not sure if I’ll do that again. I’d rather make soup and buy my sauce. We’ll see.

For supper tonight, Bill ate a bacon burger that was left over from a previous meal. I had a bowl of my tomato soup with crackers. Yum and double yum. It was quick, easy and filling. I bought some more ice cream today so we can have some for dessert and I’ll have mine with a banana.

I went out to snap some photos of the strange sky. First the fog moved in, thick as pea soup, and then in the blinks of an eye, it would clear. At the same time, the sun was making an appearance on the horizon to our west. I tried to capture what I could all the time with my fingers crossed for a lovely day tomorrow so my clothes will dry early.
Stunning finale
I hope your day was a fun one, whatever you got up to.

Thank you for reading today. Comment if you wish, I’d love to read it.


  1. We had a wonderful day here no rain and no sun but did enjoy it. Looks like you kept yourself busy anyway too bad about the laundry should dry tomorrow, with any luck.

    1. First day of rain in over a week but it just so happened I planned my laundry on the same day! :)

  2. Well your clothes are definitely well rinsed.
    We are downstate visiting our son and his family; it looked like rain all day but so far nothing. The weather sure has been nice this past week.
    I have been catching up. The clothing exchange sounds like fun. I think you should have kept the onesie...:) Great picture of your mom.

    1. The clothes will be rinsed and will dry this morning, I'm sure.
      Enjoy your visit with your son.
      It has been a beautiful week!
      The onesie sounds like a good idea but not practical for me! ha ha
      Mom takes lovely pictures.

  3. Love your sky pictures, it is amazing how fast it changes! Your mom is just too cute! She rocks the new necklaces!