Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Windy Walk Didn’t Deter Me, Christmas Cards, Old Photographs


Elephant Butte, NM

The wind was pretty strong last evening and through the night although I slept through it after 11 pm. Bill and I curled up and watched a Christmas movie in bed that didn’t end until then. We both admitted when he turned the tv off that we’d missed some key parts but at least caught the predictable ending. I was asleep really quickly after that and first woke at 3 am on Tuesday, Nov. 26th. I’m grateful that I can drop right off again easily and we both woke at 6:30 and got up.

I couldn't decide on which pictures so chose collages
I could sure hear the wind then but it was a mild 47F/8.5C so it didn’t deter me from my walk. Unless it is raining, I push myself to get out there. I don’t have to push too hard, really, I enjoy walking here so much. Today, down Sumac to Dirt Road and then across Ridge Road back to Sumac again. Not as long as some mornings but each day involves hills so I’m feeling that this is great exercise for me when away from home.

A map of the state park
Now the names of the roads will make more sense
The green line is what the host marked our second visit here in 2017
With my tea at home, I read the blogs, happy to see so many regulars keeping up daily. Yay! We are all keeping busy. I’m especially happy to hear that our friend, George, is able to control his pain and find some satisfaction from eating again. With decent rest, these are all good things for the betterment of his health. Suzie is doing an awesome job keeping up with the blog posts, keeping us all informed.

When the Francis's stopped in to discuss plans
Higgins kept watch out the window

My heart melts over this little guy
My cousin’s wife, Rita, whom I haven’t met is working on a family tree and has asked for some help naming people in old family photos. Both my aunt and uncle have long passed so that makes it difficult for her. I’m really enjoying seeing these pictures from Aunt Joan’s collections as many of them are ones that I’ve never seen before. Even I’m having difficulty with some faces in the photos but it is making my brain work! I can send them to my siblings if I need to for some help.

Daddy with my 5 older siblings
I wasn't born yet
It was just after 9:30 when I made us our omelettes for breakfast and then I had another coffee. Bill was very close to finishing his book so he sat to get a few more chapters read before we did the dishes up. He did manage to finish it during the morning. The sun is glorious outside and I’d love to get out my paints again but it might have to wait until this afternoon in the hopes that the wind dies down. The picnic table won’t be in the sun then and I want to be warm enough.

An adorable picture of Mom and her Dad
After dishes, I stepped out to add to our recycling bag, they do recycle here which is nice, and that wind sent me back inside really quickly! Our meter registered a 33-mph gust just went through. Bill’s wind sock is really dancing up there. Since it was only 10:30 and I was all cleaned up for the day, I sat and finished addressing Christmas cards so they could be sent in the next day or two. I’m focused each year on sending them, where other people have let the tradition go.
And one last one with my 3 cousins on the left
and yours truly on the right
Like with family and close friend’s birthdays, I want to carry on with Mom’s way of doing things. She can’t send them anymore but I know if she could, she wouldn’t miss anyone’s special day. Obviously, it doesn’t matter whether we get them in return, since we’re traveling, I don’t expect them back. Sometimes when we arrive home, other ‘die-hard’ traditionalists have sent them out as well and it is fun to open them in April.

Today, a Happy Hour rum and egg nog was in order
When that was finished, we chatted with my sister, Donna, news from back home and then I started painting rocks. I had a couple of ideas and sometimes it just depends on the size and shape of the rock itself. I did that for a few hours inside on the dining table while Bill and I discussed where we’re going next with Bob and Jo-Anne. We booked our next 2 parks for when we leave here on Dec. 2nd and they did the same.

At 4, I slipped out for a walk before it got cool and dark
It was peaceful and I never met a soul

The sky was clear as I headed back towards home
 Later, around 4:00, I went for a walk while my rocks dried. I need to remember to take my walking stick at that time of day as well as in the morning. It is the time when we’ve seen Wile E. Coyote out and about. I didn’t think of it until I was halfway around so picked up a rock. I wouldn’t hurt him! It was ‘just in case’ I needed to spook him but I was watchful and didn’t see him at all. Back home, it was only 4:30, too early for supper, so I painted a couple more rock bases.

Sitting here by itself, a prickly pear cactus
Jo-Anne texted around 5 when I was getting ready to warm up supper (leftover pizza and spaghetti) and offered us some fried Wall-eye that they had too much of. Well, that beats our supper plans so I popped some fries in the air fryer and that was our feast. Thanks guys! We enjoyed it very much. For dessert, we finished off the last two pieces of New York cheesecake and took care of dishes by 6:30.

My rocks from today
At the bottom, 3 painted waiting for pictures
An island on the left in the middle of an ocean of waves
Top left, a teapot for my buddy back home
top cenre - an aerial view of The Ridge in August
A little Suite humour on a heart
Top right - I don't know - a whale/fish

We have 3 programs set up for recording tonight and we’ll watch The Voice as well as the Dolly Parton special. In between glimpses at the tv, I managed to download the pictures from today and finish my post. This has been a quiet, 'hang around the house' day. The wind has died down from earlier but is still around 7 to 15 mph and I suppose working on bringing the rain in that we are expecting tomorrow.

Fried wall-eye and fries

It will be an inside day again but that’s okay, with our hobbies and whatever to fill the time. I hope you’ve had a good day too.

The last of our cheesecake (until next time)
Good night everyone
Stay well

Thank you for your visit.

12 comments:

  1. We are enjoying the Dolly Parton special. Who doesnt love Dolly eh?
    Good to see George sitting up and getting nourishment for sure.
    Happy Thanksgiving folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enjoyable show for sure. I love that she didn't change outfits and especially that since she was 20 has been married to the same man. And such a lovely voice - still.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Coyote is only coming close so he can get food from you. Somebody must have been feeding him. Love your early family pictures. It's funny because I have (or had) several cousins living in Canada and I swear they wore the same clothes!! VERY cute picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep down, I know he doesn't want to hurt us and I feel much better about them now that I've seen them so close. Up on the Ridge, I know I won't be so fearful. :)
      The old pictures are so fun. The clothes and surroundings. I love the old Brownie camera Mom has in her hand, I remember it well.

      Delete
  3. Very brightly painted rocks. They should stand out. You must have sent the winds our way. We are having 30 mile an hour winds today and 40 degree temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rocks should be found easily, yes. :) I didn't mean to send YOU the winds, we just wanted them to go away. Yesterday they were quite strong here too but have calmed down today. It is only 34F right now!

      Delete
  4. Very cute rocks!! Glad you're still able to get out with the winds. I don't always enjoy walking in the wind but you are a dedicated lady. Congrats!!! Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Unless it is wet, I'm really trying to stick to the walks while I can.

      Delete
  5. The water on the lake there always looks so blue and pretty in your pictures. Nice rock painting. Great old pictures; how special to have the one of your mom and her dad.
    Fried Walleye you didn't have to fry now that is a good dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the lake pictures too. My rocks are fun....childish but enjoyable.
      Love the old pictures and that one of Mom and her Dad is a rare one.
      I know! The Walleye was fried and hand delivered to our door!! :) Nothing better!

      Delete
  6. Out for lunch with friends today down at Pebbles. Thought of you as we passed.

    ReplyDelete