Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Bitter Air Moves into Elephant Butte State Park, Helping Hands, Indoor Stuff


Elephant Butte Lake State Park, New Mexico
We were up around 6:30 on Wednesday, Nov. 27th aka Hump Day in the working world. Peeking out my blind I could see that it was still quite dark which meant clouds. Usually when it is a clear overnight sky, it is colder. Well, this morning it was 29F/-1C in the great outdoors! Brrr! Funny thing though, no frost on the windshields. Because of the darkness, I waited 15 minutes before bundling with an extra layer, my windbreaker, and headed out in daylight.

The morning sky as I headed out for my walk
There was no wind but the extra layer on my arms still helped considerably. I had a plan to walk up to Desert Cove, along the trail, so slipped 2 painted rocks in my pockets. One rock is my creation and one was found at Tres Rios RV Resort last spring in Glen Rose, TX. However, as I approached the Loop of Quail Run (which is before Desert Cove) I saw Wile E. crossing up from the road into that area.


I stopped. I debated and thought ‘why put myself in an on-guard position?’ so turned around and took the Dirt Road up to Ridge Road, down towards the beach and zig-zagged across the lanes to our Loop. I felt winded this morning, for some reason, and maybe because of the cooler air I was breathing heavier than normal. Also, cutting across sand requires more exertion. Back at home, I told Bill of the coyote and he was surprised that he was traipsing up through their camp too.

Can Jack ever move
He did say that it wouldn’t hurt me, more afraid of me but agreed that I was wise to avoid a situation since I was alone. I don’t want to be discouraged from walking so will just continue to be aware. I’ve never seen it in the early morning before. I had my tea and read a few blogs. I responded to a question on my blog a couple of days ago with some information (check your last post, Cheri) and wrote up one last Christmas card. Woops! We just remembered a birthday coming up so need to pick a card up for that.

One of my views this morning
 Today, we’re waiting to hear from Walmart about my items and once they're ready for pickup we can get a card then. Bob called Bill around 9:30 asking if he could borrow our blue boy to dump his tanks so Bill finished his coffee and took the b.b. and the macerator in Black Beauty and went up to help. Bill had left it out after using it for our own tanks and told Bob not to hesitate to ask if he needed it before we pull out. We have 5 more days here so he will be happy to have the tanks empty. 

It was a rougher walk on this 'dippy' path
Going back a few months, I made an ornament for our tree when I was at the pottery class in August. Today I found some twine to get it ready for hanging. I hope it isn’t too heavy or it will remain on the wall sconce. I emailed my cousin, Rita, with some info on the old pictures I mentioned yesterday so hopefully I’ve helped her with at least a couple. I also sent the pics to my siblings, if not for recognition, for their enjoyment. Don’t we all love the clothes from those days?

Funny to see this colour out in the desert
At 10, I pulled the stuff out for breakfast for when Bill returns and made myself a bullet proof coffee. Then, it was time to finish some rocks before getting the duster out. The Suite needs a good cleaning but whether I just do a touch up today and a full cleaning at Pilot Knob or whether to go full gusto today is yet to be determined. I’m thinking the former, I don’t feel too energetic.

My onament
Last night, Bill had a phone call from Guelph but because we didn’t recognize the number or know anyone who ‘lives’ there, we let it go. We always say, if it is someone we know or need to hear from, they will leave a message. They did. What joy it is to hear from rv’ers whom you’ve made an impression on. We both met this couple in March of 2017 at CanAm at one of the drive test days. And then, a year later in March.

The other little decorations I made at pottery class
The sunflower was my sister, Wendy's creation
Remembering them specifically is difficult but their names and the story of our meeting is very familiar. He even mentioned Clemson (‘your little dog’) and talked about the tour of our Suite. They have purchased an rv and will be travelling to Yuma in January with another couple. This is one of those very cool things about what we do. Both the CanAm connection Bill has but mostly our lifestyle. I’m sure we’ll work on a ‘meet-up’  while we are both in the area.

Another quail meeting
Maybe it is about their diet, they are all so fat
Bill and Bob made a couple of trips into town working on trying to improve our blue boy. Bill has not been happy with it completely for a couple of years. I got my paints out again and finished the 3 rocks that I prepped yesterday and then got addicted. I painted a few more. I was enjoying myself and therefore not much else got done. No, dusting didn’t get any more thought. There’s always tomorrow morning as we’ll have company tomorrow afternoon.

I wondered why kind of bird this was
While the boys were gone, Higgins and Jo-Anne dropped in to keep me company. We had a nice chat and Higgy settled down and caught a couple of ‘dog’ naps. 

Higgins watched Bill and Bob rehang the blue boy
When they went home, Bill came in and we had a cheese snack. Something that will tie us over until supper. I completed the rocks and turned the tv on after putting everything away. I wanted to catch the London weather but missed it and instead caught some of the news. News is depressing but it was interesting to watch their local stuff.

Madame IP gets Christmas gifts too
At 6, I started supper.  Leftovers, once they are out of the fridge, it is amazing how much space we have. The rain started this afternoon around 2 when Bill and I drove in to Walmart to pick up Madame IP’s Christmas gifts. All 4 items came in and I’m thrilled! Can’t wait to put them to use. Since then, the rain hasn’t stopped and with the cool temperature not rising above 41F, it was a good day to be inside.

My workshop
Supper was good. I fried my pizza on the stove and warmed Bill’s spaghetti in the microwave. I didn’t eat all of the crust, but enjoyed the toppings along with the cheese-filled garlic knots. We had some programs to watch on PVR so after getting the dishes out of the way, we put 9-1-1 on. For a treat, we opened our new container of Tillamook Oregon Strawberry ice cream. We’ve been waiting for this since we picked it up. Next best thing (or better?) than Chapman's back home.

Today's rocks
This wasn’t a productive day for anything other than painting rocks. Good thing that I don’t have a boss to report to. The rain started to get a bit heavier around 7 but we sure didn’t get the 1” that was forecast. That is a lot for this area. By 9, it had stopped completely. How was your day?

Supper was good
Good night from Elephant Butte
Thank you for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. Have you ever visited Tillamook Oregon and the Ice Cream factory?.....Spring and fall are the best times..Nehalem Bay State Park is the best!....They give free samples of cheese, Mmmmmmm.
    Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we've never been up that far. I'll bet it is an interesting place to visit.
      Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice way to spent a cool, rainy day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got quite a paint the rocks production going there. Love the little Christmas ornament you created. Its good to have a hobby to keep you entertained when the weather keeps you indoors. The gadgets for Madam IP will encourage you to be even more creative when preparing meals. Make sure you take a picture when using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have quite a lot of paints but as they solidify they get tossed. Most of them were picked up at a garage sale - a box for $5 - quite a few years ago. I'm buying new as I go along. Thank you, I had fun at pottery class.
      Madame IP is anxious to try her new things. tonight the turkey sling. :)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it funny how rock painting became popular? Something akin to Pet Rocks but so much better! A great way to pass the time on a too cold day. If Mr. Coyote bothers you, carry a small can of spray-something. Bug spray would work well. LOVE your IP accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how something so simple took off. And you don't even need talent to paint them! Yay for me!
      Good advice about Mr. Coyote, thanks.
      Madame IP is happy too.

      Delete
  5. Yeah the coyote would make me go a different route too! Nice Christmas gifts for your IP. I see tomorrow the price is really cheap if someone needs one! Love your rock painting! Pizza looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Shirley. I wonder if Madame IP is buying for me? haha
      The pizza was good fried up George's way. :)

      Delete
  6. I love the painted rocks you are doing. They are neat to find also. Wiley coyote didn't get as old as he is by chasing people. He got old by staying away from people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others, the coyote probably wouldn't bother you but if you carry a walking stick I would think you would be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of other things to enjoy than the pointy end of a stick.
    I think you had a wonderfully productive day, you cooked, you walked, you dusted, you enjoyed your time. Those all sound very productive at keeping you happy and healthy and enjoying life.
    Supper sounded wonderful. Stay warm and safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ornament and the other decorations you made at your pottery class are really cute.
    Even with a walking stick I think I would find a different route, also. Why tempt fate. I think giving wild animals room is a good thing.
    Did I read something, along the way this morning, about some white stuff in your area? That is just wrong...though it can be very pretty to look at...hoping to only see pictures of said material this winter. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that bird is a female cardinal. The males are red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrrr...I thought you left Canada to get away from the cold! There was snow in California, in the mountains, hopefully you don't see it there.

    The rocks are cute, I particularly like the little football.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you were trying to get away from the cold too. It's about the same temperature here at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No real need to worry about coyotes unless they are acting suspiciously, for example carrying boxes labeled "Acme" or signs that say "Free Bird Seed" and thing like that.

    ReplyDelete